Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Is riding The Blue Ridge Parkway in two days a good idea.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is riding The Blue Ridge Parkway in two days a good idea.

Six of us are going to Deals Gap next month, we have done it before, 500 miles in one day. I talked them into doing the entire Parkway on the way down, 469 miles in two days. I figured 45 mph speed limit it will take a lot longer. We won't make a ton of stops and I want to make sure it is doable. I hear the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great ride.
Anyone out there rode the entire route? Want a sanity check.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
WideBoy04
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to do it end to end, 3 days, rain, fog, speed
limits, got off a day early. Don't think 2 days is a
good plan. (if you're including Skyline Dr.) JMO.

Jim

Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Depends on weather and road closures. Last I heard some of the parkway was still closed. I would plan my route ahead of time. The parkway is slow going but 45mph doesn't beat you up like 12 hours in the saddle at 75+. I guess the only one that can answer that one is you and your buds.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
madmax54
Cruiser

I hope you don't take this wrong, I have a deep personal connection to the BRP. I spent two of the hardest years of my life up there building the last 4 bridges, (these were completed after the so called "missing link, aka. the Lynn Cove Viaduct"), and I live 2 miles from there. There is simply too much natural beauty to be taken in quickly, it was designed to be enjoyed at a very leisurely pace. I see too many folks from the city just flying along, like they are in a hurry to get back home. Don't do it. Take your time, let it be something to remember, take a lot of pictures, and be safe. You can thank me later.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior

thanks guys, we are not doing Skyline Drive. I'm getting the feeling three days is much better if I can talk everyone into it. Madmax I totally agree with you, the Parkway is one of the coolest rides in the country don't want to be rushed.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

2 days allows plenty of time as long as your riding most of both days. I know many say "it's slow because of the 45 mph limit, so allow lots of time". In reality you can certainly ride 50, and pass slower cars and campers pretty quickly. Ever ride 250 miles in a day on non-interstate roads? That's all you'd be doing. Keep in mind you won't hit a stop sign or light the whole way, except a few on the construction detours.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

460 miles, divided by 2 days, is 230 miles per day.
Divide that by 35 MPH, and it's just 6.5 hours riding time. Plus gas/lunch brakes. You'll be fine. Won't be as much "fun" as the best part of the BRP is the gawking.
But that's MY scene....

Remember, the "wildlife" isn't impressed by your bike, and not likely to run away, so watch yourself.... lots of critters up that way. Plus the idioyts who stop their Winnebago, in the middle of the road.

before you leave, check out http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
for the latest closures. BUT...... there could also be local construction sites that will delay you.

We're heading that way in June.
Sunday Luray Caverns, and the Sky Line Drive
Monday Meadows of the Dan
Tuesday Spruce Pines
Wednesday Bryson City
Thursday 129/28/143
Friday return home
But we've got a lot of bikes, and we'll split off from each other, as this one want to scrape pegs here, while another want to sight see. We'll re-gather at night fall, and BS over a cold beer

Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 AM
madmax54
Cruiser

The bears are the worst. They can weigh 400 lbs, when you hit them it makes for a bad day. I forgot to mention the fines for speeding. $500 is a lot to me, plus the fact you will be dealing with the Federal Court in Asheville if you are in NC. I had a friend ask the judge for mercy because he was broke. The judge says " I got a dog named Mercy. I left him at home." These guys are playing on a different level than municipal traffic court, and they make sure you know it. One more thing, there are lots of side roads that are a blast, so while you're here, check em out.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior

Thanks for the speeding advice, two guys in our group are pretty bad in this catagory.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Well only thing is ,,, can not stop at every overlook and take pictures!! Last time up there did that and spend all day and only covered, 150 miles or so!! I was not in a hurry at all and the views are fantastic. Take you time, enjoy the slow ride and just enjoy.

Quick Reply: Is riding The Blue Ridge Parkway in two days a good idea.