Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HOG Membership Roadside Assistance

Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOG Membership Roadside Assistance

Has anyone had any experience with this organization? I am a HOG member since I purchased my bike last summer. The wife and I are planning to ship the bikes from Florida to Wyoming and ride back. I was wondering if there was any snags in response time or customer service I need to know about before I spend any more of my $$ . Knowing me, I'll get us lost in Nebraska and break something. I just want to get a bead on how this service works. Can I expect rescue in a day? Or will I have to go toe to toe with the "Children of the Corn" overnight until someone bails us out at daybreak

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Have used Hog for a tow with no problems....but there are limitations to the service. I have Road America Ultra Package that cover my car, truck and both my bikes(it's an extra $50 a year)....cover portion of hotel stays, unlimited tow distance to closest dealer etc. Used Road America just outside of Durango for a shredded tire....also was pleased with tow.....
Look into AAA and Road America for extra coverage....whatever you like, it is worth it if you do long rides every year.....

Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RA

Used the HOG roadside assistance once. Response time was less than an hour and the guy showed up with a p/u truck and a trailer. Since this was a Sunday night and the dealer was closed he put the bike in his garage overnight and delivered it the next morning. He also gave me a ride home. So no complaints from me.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Thanks...I'll revisit this before I go on our first real long distance sojourn.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Be sure to read the fine print for each of the "packages" they offer. I believe only the top-o-the-line package will cover you that far from home.

Unlike the other posters, I had a very negative experience with HOG roadside assistance. After a little research, I found that my insurance company offers a very nice roadside assistance/towing package with better coverage and cheaper than anything HOG offered.

And seriously, read the HOG fine print twice!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

The standard plan that comes with your HOG membership is very limited. It only covers one occurrence a year and is limited to only $100 coverage. Anything above the $100 is on you. I think in most cases, the towing bill is going to be more than $100.

I added the Deluxe package option through HOG. It costs $20 and takes the limits off. You get unlimited towing for up to two bikes.

Deluxe Package (optional – only $19.95* per year)

Greatly reduce your worries with the optional Deluxe Package, which adds the following benefits for up to two Harley-Davidson motorcycles:
• Unlimited towing to the nearest authorized Harley-Davidson dealership. (Please note that authorized Harley-Davidson dealerships are not open 24/7.)
• "Sign and Ride" benefit (all covered towing/roadside assistance costs are covered in full). If you are a full or full life H.O.G. member and would like to upgrade to this increased benefit level, please contact Road America at (866)-209-8270 or upgrade online at http://www.road-america.com/hog. Certain restrictions and/or exclusions apply.

Last edited by Ozoneman; 11-02-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the HOG roadside assistance once also. Worked as advertised and I was very pleased. I wanted my bike towed to my preferred H-D dealer, which wasn't the closest dealer, so they said that I would have to pick up the extra $20 charge. Well, that was OK with me because it was my choice to go to the further dealer.

Tow truck shows up and takes me and bike to my dealer, but they were already closed. So, I decide to have my bike taken to my house instead of leaving it out for the thieves. Tow driver gladly continued the trip to my house and dropped me and the bike off. He never charged me a penny for this additional service. The next day I was able to get my bike going and I limped it into the dealer for repairs.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

when I was towed, the bill was over $100 and the tow company wrote off the overage.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Macker
Tourer

I had a bad experience, especially after HOG always plays up "towing by someone that knows bikes" etc.

I had a slow speed wreck when a truck backed into the street blind from behind a van. Bike was towed to a storage facility in the small town where the accident happened while I was taken to the hospital. After being released late on a Sat, I called and made a "reservation" for Monday morning so the bike could be towed from the storage lot to the only dealership in the area.

The wrecker was nearly an hour and a half late arriving. Driver didn't seem to know much about towing bikes as he actually cinched the straps down so tight he damaged the bike in places not caused by the wreck. On top of that I had to drive the bike onto the flatbed wrecker despite wearing a splint on my right hand from a fractured right thumb and damaged tendon as a result of the accident.

Finally, the tow charge was $124, so I was out the extra $24. I've never renewed my membership after that experience.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a Hog member I have never used the roadside assistance. I have heard of some stories of long waits or no service in remote areas.So I added roadside service to my insurance for like 20.00 a year just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOG Membership Roadside Assistance