Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips or advice on riding southern states

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips or advice on riding southern states

I live in British Columbia, Canada, and last year we had a great trip through Montana, Idaho, Oregon & Washington.I love riding in the US. Everyone was very friendly everywhere we went.

This summer I want to go a little farther south. I would like to go through Death Valley, and see things like Scotty's Castle, and the Racetrack Playa (where the rocks seem to move by themselves).
Then I would like to head south (possibly through Las Vegas) to Kingman, Az. From there I want to ride as much of Rte 66 as I can, through the Petrified Forest, then head north past Canyon de Chelly up to the four corners. From there I want to head south again and ride through New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas (at least to Amarillo). Then see how my time schedule is and decide when I have to start heading north towards home.

I may be riding with 1 or 2 other guys or possibly solo.

I was planning on doing this in late July and August.

Maybe I could get some comments from Iron *** or anyone else that lives in this area or is familiar with it.

I have a few questions.

1- is it going to be too hot to ride this route during this time?

2- is it going to be too hot to tent camp?

3- any suggestions on alternate routes?

4- places and things to see.
I love Old West American history and have been to Arizona a couple times many years ago (in the '70's and '80's). Been to Tucson and Old Tucson, Tombstone, Chiricahuas, etc. and I just loved it)

I've bought maps and books on the south west states, and I've been trying to decide what I want to see and do, but any tips and advice would be very helpful.

I would like to go all the way to New Orleans before heading north, but that might have to wait till next year.

All comments are appreciated, especially about the heat.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stubby3492; 03-07-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sunscreen, stay hydrated, and a cold motel room at night. 2 or 3 guys splitting the cost of a cheap motel room is much better than camping out. it can easily still be 90 degrees at 10 p.m.. a good nites sleep makes for an enjoyable ride the next day. get an early start on the days ride...might want to spend the hottest afternoon hours doing your sight-seeing and tourist things.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Thanks Dan. I didn't get much response to this thread, but after reading a bunch of info about Death Valley on another forum, I feel like I probably asked a stupid question.
I think I better save Death Valley for another time of year and maybe head down south through Utah instead.
I don't want anyone to find my bleached bones lying by the side of the road. I figured out they don't have names like Furnace Creek for no reason.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

your talking about Western states not Southern, parts of Texas over to Alabama and Florida those are Southern states now. Have a great trip you'll know when its to hot to ride, sounds like a fun trip.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Thanks SeeMeDo. I guess I should have said south western states.
I see you're from Alabama. That is also on my bucket list, and Florida. I fact all the states are on my bucket list, it's just that I can only take so much time off at a time.
I could do a lot more states if I just want to ride, but I like to stop and take in the sights, history and the people along the way. This makes for less ground covered, but a great vacation. I don't just want to ride through your country, I want to see and experience it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Late July/early August may not be the best time for a trip to the Southwest. That's right in the middle of monsoon season. You could hit some really bad thunder storms that time of the year. Late August/early September or late May/early June would be better.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser

TX Panhandle to the OK/Missouri line can get very hot in late June and July. It depends on the trends but typically Oklahoma can have upper 90s to tripple digit temps but those are highs. Get up early and ride to 3pm ish and shut her down when those temps reach the mid 90s and up. I ride my bike all summer long here in Oklahoma, but for me tent camping is pretty miserable during those months. Motels are pretty reasonable along Route 66, and add a cold brew and dip in the pool is very refreshing on a hot humid day.

June can bring some HUGE storms (high winds and Hail with a occasional Tornado) from the Texas Panhandle up through Oklahoma and the I44/Rt 66 corridor. Worth the effort if you watch the weather, the storms are spotty and Route 66 from Oklahoma City to Joplin, MO is some great riding and history.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Macker
Tourer

Riding in the Texas panhandle and that part of Oklahoma doesn't offer anything to go out of your way for. Instead, I'd spend that time in Colorado and Utah as you work your way back home. Though if you do decide to head to New Orleans you should try to go through Big Bend Park and then the Texas hill country.

I've traveled through Alberta, BC, and the Yukon and have received the same kind of hospitality you mention in your post. So, if you do head towards south Texas shoot me a pm and maybe I can show you around.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

As far as heat goes believe it or not leather chaps actualy reflect the heat from the asfault which can be as hot as 160 and the same goes for good thick boots. Another thing to pick up is one of those bandana tube things that you soak in water and they swell up and wear it around your neck. I've logged many miles above 115. Also a good pair of polarized sun glasses to cut the glare off of the assfault too. Good luck. A good camel pack will help you keep hydrated also FWIW.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Route 66?

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I live in British Columbia, Canada, and last year we had a great trip through Montana, Idaho, Oregon & Washington.I love riding in the US. Everyone was very friendly everywhere we went.

This summer I want to go a little farther south. I would like to go through Death Valley, and see things like Scotty's Castle, and the Racetrack Playa (where the rocks seem to move by themselves).
Then I would like to head south (possibly through Las Vegas) to Kingman, Az. From there I want to ride as much of Rte 66 as I can, through the Petrified Forest, then head north past Canyon de Chelly up to the four corners. From there I want to head south again and ride through New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas (at least to Amarillo). Then see how my time schedule is and decide when I have to start heading north towards home.

I may be riding with 1 or 2 other guys or possibly solo.

I was planning on doing this in late July and August.

Maybe I could get some comments from Iron *** or anyone else that lives in this area or is familiar with it.

I have a few questions.

1- is it going to be too hot to ride this route during this time?
Definitely a hot time of year, especially for Death Valley

2- is it going to be too hot to tent camp? Not here in the high desert and up through Utah/4 corners IMO

3- any suggestions on alternate routes?Tough call, there is so much to see. If you want to chase the Mother Road one sad part is how much it was butchered and paved over by I-40. Google it a lot and here is one link I find helpful. My favorites are original 1928 alignments (google Oatman, AZ just outside Kingman) but the "new" 1937/1940 alignments left are fantastic scenery and riding in their own right.
http://www.historic66.com/arizona/

4- places and things to see.
I love Old West American history and have been to Arizona a couple times many years ago (in the '70's and '80's). Been to Tucson and Old Tucson, Tombstone, Chiricahuas, etc. and I just loved it)

I've bought maps and books on the south west states, and I've been trying to decide what I want to see and do, but any tips and advice would be very helpful.

If you are going to camp most of the time research as much high elevation as you can and target your evening stops if possible 3000 ft and up. If you are doing some hotel stops, save those for the lower elevations.

I would like to go all the way to New Orleans before heading north, but that might have to wait till next year.

All comments are appreciated, especially about the heat.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them.

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned above........keep hydrated! Lots of water even when you don't think you need it. Rain gear a must for the short but powerful monsoon pop-up storms. If you want to chase Route 66 then research as much as possible. There is quite a bit left but it can also be hard to find as new maps are just beginning it seems to show it again. For example here in Kingman they named it Andy Devine Ave and just added the historical Route 66 markers in the last 5 - 10 years from what I can tell. Same in many cities throughout the southwest. There are also signs at 100's of exits it seems along the entire stretch of I-40 that show you can access Historical Route 66. Problem is sometimes it is a short 5 mile stretch through a little town (still cool), sometimes it is a road you can ride a few miles before the pavement is just crumbled and all you can see is there was a road at one time that is now impassable without 4 wheel drive.

Sorry for the long reply, keep posting or pm'ing as your plans get firm and I will add in $0.02 where I think it might help.

Quick Reply: Tips or advice on riding southern states