Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Natchez Trace to New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
3skulls
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Natchez Trace to New Orleans

Has anyone rode this parkway before? Things to see, best spots to camp?
Recommendations in New Orleans?

This is on the list for early spring or late fall. Trying to miss the crazy heat.

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading my mind again?

The Long Road starts in nawlins this year. June 19th (sunday) they're taking off for Rockingham NC for the smokeout.

I was going to split boston on the 15th (Wed) and slip over to cleveland, down to cinci, and into lou. Expected arrival in nawlins: fri-sat... whatever.

Linkup with the long roaders on sunday and head for the party... get to the rock on fri the 24th.

.PARTY.

Split Sunday morn (26th)... I'm back in boston on the 28th. Maybe side-step over to shady vally for a sunday night campout with old friends?

Two weeks on the road. Interested? Think your liver can take it?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I have ridden the upper 100 miles or so of the trace. It's a nice ride, but not spectacular.
The bridege just south of Nashville that was recently built to connect the trace to Nashville is a good sight for that part of the country.

The only must see stop I know of on the upper end is the Meriwether Lewis park near Hohenwald, Tn. about 70 miles or so south of Nashville.

The original Grinder's motel where Lewis took a bullet to the head is within the park and preserved for visitors. If you look just north of the motel, you will see what looks like a minature Washington monument. It is a monument to Lewis who is buried there.

There is nothing that I know of on the trace itself as far as gas, food etc. You have to exit the trace and go to the nearest town for anything like that.

Dennis

Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

french camp on the trace is a good place to eat, you can see the log cabins from the trace,nice place to stop and check out. gift shops and one of the cabins is called council house cafe,exllent food.
roger

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we rode the whole trace last summer. and i agree Rochkes nice but nothing to get excited about. basically flat ,straight and pretty but not spectacular. oh did i mention in july it's HOT,

Old 02-19-2011, 05:21 PM
3skulls
Tourer

Originally Posted by Certainteed
Reading my mind again?

The Long Road starts in nawlins this year. June 19th (sunday) they're taking off for Rockingham NC for the smokeout.

I was going to split boston on the 15th (Wed) and slip over to cleveland, down to cinci, and into lou. Expected arrival in nawlins: fri-sat... whatever.

Linkup with the long roaders on sunday and head for the party... get to the rock on fri the 24th.

.PARTY.

Split Sunday morn (26th)... I'm back in boston on the 28th. Maybe side-step over to shady vally for a sunday night campout with old friends?

Two weeks on the road. Interested? Think your liver can take it?
Damn thats crazy. I can't get off work for that long. I'm planing on the party for sure.
Do you know which way they are going? Maybe I could hook up somewhere. We will talk about it over a beer here soon.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

If you like not getting out of 3rd gear then ride the trace. 50mph speed limit enforced by feds.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Its a great ride, early spring would be the best time. Early spring meaning right now! It is already in the mid 70's here in La.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Rode the Trace from Natchez north to Nashville.....and as others have said not the most exciting ride......but certainly the most peaceful and best groomed road I've every riden. Passed 6 or 7 cars and about 10 bikes in 444 miles......that's peaceful...

Get a map of the route at the first park info centers...it will show you exits for gas, hotels and restaurants......or try this http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/NatchezTrace/

There are all types of places to ride......some are better than others......but none are bad.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
3skulls
Tourer

Cool, we do that for sure. We are looking forward for a nice peaceful ride down. Everything i have read said the road is in perfect shape. Looks like late April will be the soonest we could go. I would love to head out today.

Originally Posted by jeffbarb17
Rode the Trace from Natchez north to Nashville.....and as others have said not the most exciting ride......but certainly the most peaceful and best groomed road I've every riden. Passed 6 or 7 cars and about 10 bikes in 444 miles......that's peaceful...

Get a map of the route at the first park info centers...it will show you exits for gas, hotels and restaurants......or try this http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/NatchezTrace/

There are all types of places to ride......some are better than others......but none are bad.

Quick Reply: Natchez Trace to New Orleans