Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MN to Rockies to YWStone to Beartoothe to Big Horns to Black Hills

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Streetin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MN to Rockies to YWStone to Beartoothe to Big Horns to Black Hills

Just finished a weeks worth of riding. Three of us rode from SW Minn. thru Denver into the Rockies over to western Colorado into Utah. We past Flaming Gorge heading toward Jackson Hole and the Tetons. We rode one day on the west side ofYellowstone(could have spent more time there). The next day rode the east side up to northeast exit on our way to Bear Toothe.
Bear Toothe had only been open a short time before we went thru. One damaged stretch was under repair(gravel and passable). Lots of snow up there yet. Well over 20 feet in some spots. Awesome ride. Highly recommended if you have never done it. From Red Lodge, we headed south and towards Sheridan, Wy. The snow on top of the Big Horns wasn't as deep as Bear Toothe but still quite deep.
We finished running thru the Black Hills before taking the flat ride across South Dakota. Final tally was 2870 miles in 8 days.
Tenting in Yellowstone with known grizzlies in the area was interesting. If I ever get a chance to do it again, I will.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Great area to ride through.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you had a great trip.

And glad you got to see those stimulus dollars at work on the Beartooth Pass

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

good for you. I see you are from Luverne. I am just south of you in sioux center. All thoseareas are wonderful places to see and glad you enjoyed it. Me and my dad are going up to glacier the end of july so looking forward to going out there

Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Whooops. Gotta figure out this quick post thing.

Last edited by Streetin; 07-05-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Hey Davey019,
Yes, we are not too far apart. I will be in your parts in a few weeks. We have a local group that does supper runs every other Wednesday night. We will be coming your way.
The trip was awesome with only two glitches. My credit card got hacked and one guy layed his bike down. We were camped in Colorado and had 5 miles of gravel(clay) to get out of the campsite. It had rained all night. Wet clay and bikes don't mix. We ended up using our feet as skis to keep from tipping over. Car wash did wonders cleaning us up though.
I hope to do this trip again in a couple years.
Enjoy your ride to Glacier. That ride is on my calendar for next year.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM
mrhensley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in your area as well as a Sioux Falls fella.. Been in all these areas as well and loved it! What did you think of the Flaming Gorge? I really dug this area...matter of fact, Utah has proven to be one of my favorite destinations in all my scoot travels! Has a lot of diversity to offer from one end of the state to the other! This year the boys and I are headed East to DC, South to Virginia Beach and back home via the Dragon, Memphis TN, and Ozarks. Pretty pumped to get on the road and see what we see! If you head back towards Red Lodge and Beartooth, look for their Bike Rodeo Week..seems to me its in June or July! Follows the cowboy rodeo if Im not mistaken! Good time...lots of bikes and people!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like an awesome trip, you picked the perfect route. My favorite part of the country for vacation, with or without the bike.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

MrHensley, I agree there is a great diversity of things to see in Utah. Flaming Gorge was awesome.
I am taking the almost the same trip you are to the east coast except I will be going the opposite direction. The trip west was the boys trip, the trip east is with my wife.
Have a great trip!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
mrhensley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are pretty excited to hit the road! Im hoping for another East Coast trip real soon, but Id prefer to go North about as far as the road will let me! I think a September trip for a little color change would make for some nice riding as long as weather cooperated! Safe travels!