Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Circle Tour of Lake Superior

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Rufus4bz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circle Tour of Lake Superior

I live in Northern Illinois and in 3 weeks, 5 of us are taking a 5 day trip around Lake Superior. We have been to the U.P. several times. I am interested in points of interest on the north side of the lake. Cool places to stop.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Mike Kett
Intermediate

nice overnight spot would be Cascade Lodge on the Wisconson side.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
cgauss
Cruiser

Ive only ridden from Duluth to Split Rock but I have vacationed up there a couple of times.

Things I would suggest:
* WWII museum in Superior, WI
* Glensheen Mansion in Duluth, MN
* Betty's Pies by Two Harbors, MN
* Breakwater in Two Harbors, MN
* Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast in Two Harbors, MN
* Northern Rail Train Car Suites in Two Harbors, MN
* Gooseberry Falls
* Split Rock Lighthouse

And just enjoy the amazing views around Lake Superior.

My buddy is moving to Thunder Bay in a few months and he said it is just awesome up there as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Rufus4bz
Intermediate

Thanks for the links. I was looking for people that had personal experiences going around the lake.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Rufus4bz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cgauss
Ive only ridden from Duluth to Split Rock but I have vacationed up there a couple of times.

Things I would suggest:
* WWII museum in Superior, WI
* Glensheen Mansion in Duluth, MN
* Betty's Pies by Two Harbors, MN
* Breakwater in Two Harbors, MN
* Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast in Two Harbors, MN
* Northern Rail Train Car Suites in Two Harbors, MN
* Gooseberry Falls
* Split Rock Lighthouse

And just enjoy the amazing views around Lake Superior.

My buddy is moving to Thunder Bay in a few months and he said it is just awesome up there as well.
Thanks!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser
Default lake superior

did this trip two years ago. you'll really like Duluth. There is an area that has old brick buildings remodeled into bars & restaurants. Live music & within walking distance of a pretty good motel on the lakeshore. Plan to spend at least one night. Hwy 61 north along the lake is unbelievably gorgeous. take your time & enjoy. If you see a sign for some attraction, take it, you won't be sorry. We saw a sign for a large gorge overview, its worth the xtra time. Once you get back to Michigan, stay in St Ignace. Neat little town, reminded me of Cape Cod. Stumbled upon a car show and ended up staying the nite which was not planned. Mackinack Island is a must. I could go on & on. Michgan has some great riding roads. Don't plan too much in advance and have a great & SAFE ride

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

We rode the north side last summer. We rode from Th. Bay to Sudbury then to Niagara Falls. We stayed in Wawa at the Beaver Lodge if I remember correctly. Owners were great. Talked with us for several hours. My only mistake was not topping off the tank before I left there. It was almost 80 miles to the next gas station.
We also stopped for pictures at the birth place of Winnie the Pooh. Wifes idea.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post more as you make this ride, This is my all time ride I want to do having flown the UP low level for years I want to see it from the ground up, but like you I also want to see the sites on the North side of the lake.
Don Enlow (FlyLow)

Old 06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I just returned home yesterday from a counter-clockwise tour around Lake Superior.
A friend and I left on Monday the 24th and did the nearly 500 mile trek to Wawa, Ont., Canada on the first day of our 6 day ride.

Monday--Day 1, was warm and dry (with the exception of crossing the "Mighty Mac" bridge that crosses the Straits of Mackinac (which connects Lake Huron with Lake Michigan).

Tuesday--Day 2, Wawa to Nipigon was a beautiful, sunny ride.
We had one (not too close) encounter with a young moose an met some great folks along the way.

Wednesday--Day 3, from Nipigon to Duluth, MN started on a cloudy morning and declined to a heavy thunderstorm (with some sleet and much cooler temps) before we got to Duluth.
Modular helmets an good rain gear proved to be a great investment!
I quickly discovered that my custom handlebar install that left my heated hand grips inoperable!
Thankfully, I had installed a pair of clear lexan hand wind deflectors on my bike just before the trip and they really provided some protection.
The rain ceased before we arrived at our motel and we were almost dry (except for gloves and boots) but just as we got our bikes unloaded and got our gear into our room another storm came through.

Thursday--Day 4, from Duluth, MN to Copper Harbor, MI was a nice, mostly sunny ride until we got within 50 or so miles from our destination.
We continued on toward the Porcupine Mountains to the Lake in the Clouds and spotted a Bald Eagle along the way.
Cooler temps and threatening clouds for our arrival in Copper Harbor, but no rain!
Dinner at the Mariner North was bowl of their (secret recipe) 40+ year old fish chowder and a huge steak salad and a large mug of beer!

Friday-- Day 5, from Copper Harbor to Newberry, MI began on a very cool, foggy morning. It was so foggy that the Copper Harbor Lighthouse was not visible from shore.
We continued on to Brockway Mountain (highest point in Michigan) and fortunately we got above the fog and the view was fantastic.
My friend had never been there before so I was glad that he got the opportunity to see the view.
I had planned to stop at the "Jampot Bakery" for some really tasty pastries but my friend's battery was acting up and I was concerned that his bike may fail to start and that's a fairly remote area so I chose to skip that stop so we headed to Mohawk, MI for lunch at Slim's Restaurant & Baked goods.
We had what was probably the best beef pasty (a folded pot pie) that I have ever eaten! We then had a slice of their blueberry pie (heated of course) and my friend bought 3 cookies to go (for his wife he claimed).
The last half or so of Friday's ride got really wet, but what the heck.
We stopped at the Bald Eagle H-D dealership in Marquette, MI and bought some T-shirts.
Finished the evening off with some VERY "hot wings" and some icy cold beer at the Pizza Hut in Newberry, MI.

Saturday--Day 6, with the exception of the ride back across the "Mighty Mac" was a pretty much uneventful ride, but it was nice to sleep in my own bed again!

For those who may be thinking about taking this trip some time, here's a few things to think about.
Gas prices are extremely high in Canada (between $5 and $6 per U.S gallon so fill your tank before you cross the border.
Food, motels, etc., are expensive in comparison to those in the U.S. so be prepared.
I wouldn't advise starting your ride too early in the morning or continuing to ride too late into the evening.
Moose love fog and darkness and they also have Whitetail deer so there's lot's to be on the lookout for.
Finally, take room mosquito spray as well as body mosquito spray.
(I hear Bounce dryer sheets work well too).

Quick Reply: Circle Tour of Lake Superior