Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anyone ride the entire Great River Road?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone ride the entire Great River Road?

My brother and I are thinking of making this our 2012 trip and are wondering how many days to plan for (we usually take 10-day trips) - would be starting from Minneapolis, MN and riding down one side and back up the other. What are some "must-see" attractions or favorite stretches or even "off the path" detours?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We haven't riden much of the Great River Road, but may in a few years. We did go to NW Illinois in September and rode some of it.

A must stop is Savanna, IL, a biker friendly town. Stay at the L & M Motel at the east edge of town. Lois and her son Curtis are wondeful hosts. Rooms are reasonable and clean, some themed, have covered bike parking, some at your front door depending on your room. It was great to sit outside and visit with others staying there, they even have a big firepit and hot tub. After you check in, even have a cooler of cold beer in the office to settle the road dust. They will map out routes for you to ride in the area. The best feature was Curtis' shuttle ! He will take you anywhere in town, drop you off (a neat downtown area with several bars and places to ear), then pick you up when you call him, didn't matter how late and make stops along the way (like the liquor store). One of the days when we were there, a construction crew was staying there and left Curtis money to get beer for them when they got "home" from work.

Be sure and stop at Poopy's Pub & Grub a mile or so south of town, a biker bar, tattoo parlor and store. Good food and atmosphere. On weekends they have live entertainment and camping out back, even with hot showers in the restrooms. Of course, Curtis will take you there and pick you up when you call him.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

noooo don't do it. it's the one route i would never do again. I bet you have rode the river on the mn./wis. border meby down to praire duChan. you ,like us.thought it would be great to do the whole river. well here's the scoop ;south of praire DuChan it sucks. the river is all behind levees and all the scenery is flat farmland and straight roads. we(my wife and i) did a trip to the east coast ,down the BRP across Georgia ,al. and the Natchez trace down to biloxi and home to mn. via the great river road.
the very south end(Natchez,Valida is great. the rest north is boring. It's like rt.66 a lot of hype but not much to see. a trip to bluegrass country is a better option.
long post i know but really nothing much to see(o.k. the arch is pretty cool)

Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
eaheritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think riding between mpls and dubuqe on either side of the river is great,, im not saying every mile ios breath taking but anywheres by the river is good for me; there a british gathering outside of prairie duchein in blue river area.. there are alot of riding going on all summer,,, a day down to dubuqe and a day back up or just go exploring ,,thats part of riding to me to see whats around the corner

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayMare
We haven't riden much of the Great River Road, but may in a few years. We did go to NW Illinois in September and rode some of it.

A must stop is Savanna, IL, a biker friendly town. Stay at the L & M Motel at the east edge of town. Lois and her son Curtis are wondeful hosts. Rooms are reasonable and clean, some themed, have covered bike parking, some at your front door depending on your room. It was great to sit outside and visit with others staying there, they even have a big firepit and hot tub. After you check in, even have a cooler of cold beer in the office to settle the road dust. They will map out routes for you to ride in the area. The best feature was Curtis' shuttle ! He will take you anywhere in town, drop you off (a neat downtown area with several bars and places to ear), then pick you up when you call him, didn't matter how late and make stops along the way (like the liquor store). One of the days when we were there, a construction crew was staying there and left Curtis money to get beer for them when they got "home" from work.

Be sure and stop at Poopy's Pub & Grub a mile or so south of town, a biker bar, tattoo parlor and store. Good food and atmosphere. On weekends they have live entertainment and camping out back, even with hot showers in the restrooms. Of course, Curtis will take you there and pick you up when you call him.
Originally Posted by farmerstu
noooo don't do it. it's the one route i would never do again. I bet you have rode the river on the mn./wis. border meby down to praire duChan. you ,like us.thought it would be great to do the whole river. well here's the scoop ;south of praire DuChan it sucks. the river is all behind levees and all the scenery is flat farmland and straight roads. we(my wife and i) did a trip to the east coast ,down the BRP across Georgia ,al. and the Natchez trace down to biloxi and home to mn. via the great river road.
the very south end(Natchez,Valida is great. the rest north is boring. It's like rt.66 a lot of hype but not much to see. a trip to bluegrass country is a better option.
long post i know but really nothing much to see(o.k. the arch is pretty cool)
Originally Posted by eaheritage
i think riding between mpls and dubuqe on either side of the river is great,, im not saying every mile ios breath taking but anywheres by the river is good for me; there a british gathering outside of prairie duchein in blue river area.. there are alot of riding going on all summer,,, a day down to dubuqe and a day back up or just go exploring ,,thats part of riding to me to see whats around the corner
Thanks guys for the tips.....Stu, ya got me rethinking this trip! Thanks for the heads up. That BRP is an amazing area.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

If you do go on your ride and you get around the Dubuque area, check out the route leaving Dubuque going to Balltown, IA. Leaving Balltown is some of the best riding in IA.There is a restaurant there that's very reasonable and biker friendly. http://www.breitbachscountrydining.com/
Safe Riding