Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by slhanks4
When I travel solo on long trips, I carry my Springfield XD40 for company. You never know who/what you might run into. Just a thought.
Agree...especially if you're going to be camping. However, the XD45 is preferred by real riders 9-1

Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftyBKells
I'll be going from WA state to FL panhandle. Then i'll be riding from FL to Sturgis with some old military buddies. I'm planning on packing/wearing...

1. carhart jeams...normal jeans don't hold up
2. debating on riding jacket or long sleeve shirt
3. sun screen for sure! I always bring it on long rides
4. i'm packing light... maybe 2 days worth of clothing, a small tent, & sleeping bag
5. maybe a small tool bag/flat tire kit...i'm debating on this... I do plan on getting a full service before i leave with new tires.

Other than that, i'm not sure what else is needed or advice i should go with. i'm more concerned about neck/back pain & staying alert. I'm hoping i can hit about 10 hours a day but that might be pushing it.
It's almost impossible to take long trips without hitting some boring flat straight stretch. I found myself getting drowsy several times. 5 Hour Energy worked great for me. Kept me away, didn't make me jittery, and there is no "crash" later. I limit myself to only using it when really tired, and no more than one in a 10 hour period.

I try to stock up on it before hitting the road as you may not find it everywhere. Grape and Berry are my favorite. Best to down it quick though, like a shot.

http://www.5hourenergy.com/5hroriginal.asp

Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Leech1107
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said before take your time and enjoy the ride. When i go on long trips i take side and back roads as the pace and traffic is slower and makes the ride more comfortable. Plus better views than banging down the freeway.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Avoid rest areas,they're noisy and if you stop after dark you risk lying down in the pet walking area.After dark the whole thing becomes a pet walking area.Stealth camp instead or once past the mississip most small towns allow you to camp in the city park.The cops come by and check on you since they seldom have much going on after the bar closes,they will also (if you ask) wake you up around daylight.They also know the best(cheapest) place to get breakfast.
Sears carries a small tool kit in a plastic case that with a couple small changes works fine,tubeless tires use a can of cheap flat fixer,tube type, spoons,patches and a handy log ,cheapest/smallest air pump you can find take the case off throw it away,keep your hands off the pump once it starts damn things get hot.
Windbreaker/leather,long sleeved shirt,rain suit/trashbags,2 pr pants,moccassins,couple t-shirts,3prs. socks.Windbreaker/leather ties on the handlebars,rest rolls up in the sleeping bag.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
branchhill
Advanced
Default Essentials, "good to have" and odd items.

The Mrs. & I laid down 8,000 miles in 17 states (including your home state) in 2010 for 37 days. Looped out of Cincinnati, OH to San Fran through the Rockies and back via the northern route including a long stay around Sturgis.
ESSENTIALS...We've agreed that: water on board; rain gear; sunscreen (trust me on that) and tire plugs are Essential. Many of my fellow riders in the east, haven't a clue how desolate it is out west in many places. No such thing as a convenience store or Walmart everywhere. Hell, we were in places where crossroads were 2 hours of hard riding apart (and some of those were dirt roads.
GOOD TO HAVE...You question long sleeve shirt vs a heavy jacket. Take the jacket. In early August we had to wait until eleven am for the LEO's to open some of the mountain passes due to an early morning snow. It was dang cold!
ODD ITEMs...The Mrs. set up a web blog on line and took along a computer. My well thought out reply was, "Are you friggin nuts?!" Turns out this electronic journal was way cool. Since we let no one but family know we were out of our house that long, we kept the family posted almost daily on our progress. We uploaded photos and consoled them with highlights of each day. As it turns out, we happily review it from time to time and enjoy the trip diary. At minimum, keep a journal. You will never remember even half of it a year our two out and you'll be thrilled you did.

Lastly, I'm just touching the surface of stuff to take along so keep a list of the items everyone has mentioned here. Layout on the floor the stuff you think you will take (and weigh it before you load up). You can always UPS useless crap back to someone who will hold it for you.

Good luck, ride without a detailed plan and enjoy. (Trip of our lives).

Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Theatan
Tourer

10 Hrs perday on a Nightrain will be a long day. I did 20 days on a 07 FXD this past summer. Avg perday hrs 7-9. Had Sundowner seat on bike.
Couple of tips;
1. check out Saddlemen.com for your roll bag. checkout EX-R1000 cost only about $65 will hold tent and more. (luggage rack would be helpful)
2. Stop about every 2 hrs for a bottled water. (helps avoid cramping in knees,ankles and wrist) Dehydration is a strange animal.
3. Raingear, and a Sturdy Riding Jacket, Googles,<--(Note the caps) and a set of gloves. 75*F degrees at sea level can trun into 47*F and rain above 3000 ft within 2-3 hrs.
4. Last go to a sporting goods store find some tent water proofing spray. You'll need to apply it to the tent Before your on the road or sleep in the tent in the rain.
Otherwise Enjoy the Ride.

Last edited by Theatan; 12-20-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: last line mis worded
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
CAV-Weeble
Novice

One of the best books I've read on the topic is: The essential guide to motorcycle travel : tips, technology, advanced techniques. Author Dale Coyner
Likely available in your local library but no doubt can purchase on such sites as Amazon. This book covers every aspect of motorcycle travel, including packing, camping etc...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Don't forget a air mattress or some kind of pad for under your sleeping bag. Sometimes
the ground is mighty hard, and plus depending on the time of year it will also keep you warmer. And +1 on tire plugs and small air compressor.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 PM
cafjo01
6th Gear
Default RE: Cross Country trip Advice

Good rain gear, comfortable seat, a few foot positions to change your seating positions while you are riding, a camelbak for hydration (get an extra long hose and a clip. Clip the mouth piece to your jacket and take a sip every five miles to avoid dehydration). Bungee the hydration pak on the passenger seat. Extra mouthpieces (lost one on a state highway in southern Montana in 100+ heat. Glad I had a spare). A week or so before you plan on leaving pack the bike up with everything you think you can bring and ride it for a 100 miles or so to make sure everything is balanced. Bring a bathing suit (so when it is time to do your laundry you change into the bathing suit so you can wash eveything at once). Tools, tire repair kit and air pump. Cell phone, camera. I'm sure there are more things but these will get you started. Best of luck and stay safe.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
cafjo01
6th Gear

Go with a thermarest. They do a good job of insulating and pack down much smaller than an air mattress. Also make sure you have a plastic liner cut a little smaller than the floor of your tent. That way if it rains the rain water will not pool under the tent bottom. KOAs are a good bargain. They have hot showers and sometimes a small diner and laundry facilities. They are much safer than parking lots and clearings.

Quick Reply: Cross Country trip Advice