Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country trip Advice

Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 AM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Country trip Advice

I'm planning for a cross country trip in the late summer of 2012. I'm trying to talk a buddy into riding with me but if he can't go, i'll be going solo. This will be my first long haul. Longest i've rode to date is 630 miles. I plan on packing a tent and sleeping at rest stops every other night and hotels inbetween. I'll be taking the trip on a Nightrain and just looking for advice.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I say just wing it and have fun! The only absolute "must haves" are money and a credit card or two. I've been doing 5,000 to 9,000 mile solo trips just about every summer since 2004 without any real plan other than a final destination. Just fly by the seat of your pants and enjoy!

Between now and your trip make yourself a little checklist of things you want to bring. Jot them down as you think of them. That way you'll be less likely to forget something in the excitement of blowing out of Dodge. Once you're out and about and find something you wish you had, add it to the checklist for your next trip.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ya know that sounds like to much fun!! I wish I could up and go, just chuck it all and roll. The bad thing for me would be my back. I don't know how long I could go all at once but then again if I had nothing but time, who cares? I agree, cash and credit cards would be of the most important. I would think after that, comfortable cloths and sleeping gear would be next on my list. I think a camera would also be pretty important then some tools, maybe a few spare plugs and some good oil. 2 pairs of shoes or boots would rate high on my list as would a spare pair of shades or glass's. I hate to say it but I never leave home without some form of personal protection, that would be a priority but thats just me. Some spare or fresh batteries if you have anything that requires them? Some wind screen maybe? I'm not sure how much room or what you have to pack things in but I would rather over pack then under pack! From where to where are you going? I say just enjoy it, go and don't look back. Not many people get that chance to be able to do it, you are fortunate so enjoy!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 AM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

I'll be going from WA state to FL panhandle. Then i'll be riding from FL to Sturgis with some old military buddies. I'm planning on packing/wearing...

1. carhart jeams...normal jeans don't hold up
2. debating on riding jacket or long sleeve shirt
3. sun screen for sure! I always bring it on long rides
4. i'm packing light... maybe 2 days worth of clothing, a small tent, & sleeping bag
5. maybe a small tool bag/flat tire kit...i'm debating on this... I do plan on getting a full service before i leave with new tires.

Other than that, i'm not sure what else is needed or advice i should go with. i'm more concerned about neck/back pain & staying alert. I'm hoping i can hit about 10 hours a day but that might be pushing it.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,095 Posts

10 hours on a bike is a LONG day...leave early if you can, stop more and enjoy the hell out if it...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode 1800 miles solo last year. A windshield would have been wonderful. I did 8-10 hr days and my neck was hurting from pushing through the wind. I would consider having gels put in your seat, by the third day, I could only do an hour without stopping because my *** was killing me. Other than that, sunscreen and maybe a bandana. I used a bandana and got it wet with my cooler every few hours. Even though its not legal in most states, id use an ipod if I did it again. 10 hrs of listening to the pipes roar gets old. Other than that, take your time and enjoy the sites along the way. I had a deadline and was rushed. Took some of the fun out of it.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM
scooterGdawg
Intermediate

there should be no debate on #5 new tires don't mean nuttin to a screw or nail....... a tire kit can be the difference in waiting for hours for a tow truck or at a shop vs. 10 mins to plug and air up.

I carry two plug kits.......the mushroom plugs which are awesome, and the worm kind. carry a compressor...... put a outlet on the bike, or have the connectors for a direct to battery connection.

know how to use tire kits before there is a problem........

walmart is everywhere, u can stop in and buy anything you need, like warm clothes or dry socks......but you need to be able to get there.... referring to tire kit......

be prepared for all sorts of weather.....

get a hydration pack.......stay hydrated.......this a must.........

Last edited by scooterGdawg; 12-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I would say don't give yourself a schedule. By that I mean no motel reservations or plans to be a certain place at a certain time. Just ride till ya decide to stop and if you find a road that looks interesting......gas up and see where it goes. I use to take trips all over the country that way and have some fantastic memories form places I had never heard of and never would have seen if I'd "had a plan" and didn't just go with the wind so to speak.

You will have a great time and we expect to hear all about it when you get back.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftyBKells
1. carhart jeams...normal jeans don't hold up
"Normal jeans don't hold up"...? You are sitting ON your motorcycle, right? I've always ridden in either Levi's jeans or Dickies work pants and find it hard to imagine how they would fail to "hold up"...

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

When I travel solo on long trips, I carry my Springfield XD40 for company. You never know who/what you might run into. Just a thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross Country trip Advice