Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

GPS System

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
05SuperGlide
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS System

I'm currently riding a 07 Street Glide. I want to know if anyone here knows of any alternative to the $600 Harley GPS for the bike. I am looking for something cheap like you can get for your car that will work on the bike. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
lonn711
Advanced
Default Gps

I use a Garmin Nuvi with a RAM handlebar mount. The Garmin is around $100. I also use it in my wife's car. The RAM mount will be $25-$40. Nothing fancy but it will locate gas, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

walmart

Last edited by mrnone; 01-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550, not fancy but it's waterproof which is real important, can be found for less than $275.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...=27442&ra=true

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the Garmin 755 out of my car. I bought this model with the bike in mind as I can plot routes in MapQuest and download them to the GPS. Makes it must easier on a trip when the GPS takes me over the exact roads I want to travel on. This model will also take an SD card that I load up with my tunes. The unit mutes the tunes as it is giving voice directions that come through my radio. Only 3-4 Garmin models will let you plot a route. I use a RAM handlebar mount. If I get caught in the rain the GPS goes in the saddlebag as I put on my rain gear.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lonn711
I use a Garmin Nuvi with a RAM handlebar mount. The Garmin is around $100. I also use it in my wife's car. The RAM mount will be $25-$40. Nothing fancy but it will locate gas, restaurants, hotels, etc.
Same here, I move it between the bike and the car, works just fine.
Ram Mount from the internet, Garmin Mount for my Garmin 665 from J&P cycle, allows the use of the cigarette power cord from the car mount, works great.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM
05SuperGlide
5th Gear

Thanks so much guys for all the input. Next question is if I dont have a cig lighter outlet how do I install one? And where is the best location on the bike to install it?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CarrollB
I use the Garmin 755 out of my car. I bought this model with the bike in mind as I can plot routes in MapQuest and download them to the GPS. Makes it must easier on a trip when the GPS takes me over the exact roads I want to travel on. This model will also take an SD card that I load up with my tunes. The unit mutes the tunes as it is giving voice directions that come through my radio. Only 3-4 Garmin models will let you plot a route. I use a RAM handlebar mount. If I get caught in the rain the GPS goes in the saddlebag as I put on my rain gear.
Pretty much what he said for me. I use a Nuvi 765. As a matter of fact, I just snagged a second one off of eBay for like $60 or something. I use a Ram Mount mated to a TechMount on my left handlebar. My RamMount has a quick-change deal on it, and I mount my iPhone there when I don't need my GPS.

Back to the Nuvi... much cheaper than the Zumo. The Zumo is the way to go if you can afford it, but I don't use my GPS enough to justify the cost.

I use HD RidePlanner, dump my routes in, and I'm good to go. When it rains, I throw a ziplock bag over it and keep going. And I do the same thing with the SD card - load it up with mp3s.

If you're riding an '07 FLHX, you should have a cigarette lighter / power plug. It's way down on the left side of your inner fairing. I couldn't find mine either when I bought my bike. Be sure you're power plug isn't the one with the traffic receiver. It's too long and will hit your tank.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by FloridaFLHX; 01-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the one harley offers is a lot of money and it was hard for me to pay that much for a GPS unit. Before I purchase my first harley I bought the Garmin Zumo 660 and installed it on my other touring bike. Basically it is the same as the harley road tech unit. I did not buy the one with the XM radio built in cause I have an XM radio I use in my cars, bike, office, shop and am too cheap to pay for another subscription. When I got the harley I purchased the Harley fairing mount and installed it there...hard wired. No wires running to the cig lighter, a lot cleaner installation. It is not cluttering up the handle bars, you can wiring into your sound system. I choose not to do that...I keep the sound turned down all the time anyway. I hate to listen to it telling me it is recalculation when I stray from my intended route.
I am very glad I did spent the money and think it was the best money I ever spent. It is water proof...the screen is glove friendly so the touch screen works. It is bright enough to see in just about every lighting condition. It has blue tooth to sync to your phone.
At the end of the day riding, I tell it to find lodging, select which hotel I want and call the hotel hands free without removing my helmet. See if they got a room and how much it is. If I am satisfied with that, then press go and it will lead me to the hotel. I can do this in the rain, phone is under my rain suit in my pocket.
It has software to map out your routes to catch those neat back roads. It came with a windshield mount so I use it in my cars/trucks. I also purchase the lifetime maps so I get 4 maps updates a year.
It also has a button for all the Harley dealerships so finding one is a snap.
I have other Garmin GPS units, but really like this one.
GPS city has it for 649 and 699 with lifetime maps. Lifetime maps cost you $80-90 so buy the GPS with lifetime maps if you are buying one.

I know money is tight with everyone...I believe you will be more pleased in the end with the Zumo 660. See attached photos of my installation.

Attached Thumbnails GPS System-fairing.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05SuperGlide
I'm currently riding a 07 Street Glide. I want to know if anyone here knows of any alternative to the $600 Harley GPS for the bike. I am looking for something cheap like you can get for your car that will work on the bike. Thanks.
You can buy a big bike, you can buy a Zumo. You can find a Zumo 550 at a "good price" now. If you have a little more bucks, then go with 660, or even newer.
I have the Zumo 550 for almost 10 years, and it is the best for motorcycle, and it comes with two (2) mounts, one for motorcycle and one for car, so you can just take the GPS out and snap in the other vehicle.
I believe the Zumo is designed for outdoor (waterproof) use, and vibration. As the others have mentioned, buy a lifetime maps update is worth it.

Quick Reply: GPS System