Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Niblet
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a misdemeanor in '93,,and when I crossed at Portal, Montana,,(or ND)on my way to Alaska in 2000 I was read the riot act,, and had to pay a one way entry fee of 250.00.
They tore my Geo metro apart and reluctantly let me pass (the border guard found some lighters and no cigarettes,,and went apeshit,,,as I had just to be smoking something !!)

I crossed the next year in Minnesota and had no issues,,and I had a dog,, my dad and my young nephew onboard,,

I got the crime expunged and I called the Canadian authorities once when I was planning to go again,,and they said ,,regardless if the crime was expunged or not,,i had to get rehabilitated by Canadian standards,,,and I was still ineligible to cross
It costs at least a grand to get anything expunged,,and is one hell of a racket,,I wish the US Govt would reciprocate

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah if you think it is tough going north, going south is tougher. US guards tend to be less "understanding" and keep in mind both countries are continually realigning because the diplomatic rules keep changing. Trickle down effect !...., and heaven help you if tensions increase due to intelligence info or increased security concerns.

Unfortunately the longest mutually undefended border in the world now comes with some pain for the average member of each respective nation.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
mrhappy999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no trouble crossing into Canada. Everyone has been friendly. But getting back in the states has been a completely different experience, rude would be putting it nicely.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

i don't want to have to pay for a passport---therefore i don't do canada any more

Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrayMare
We will be in Niagara Falls, NY in August and I would love to see the Fall from the Canadian side. Any horror stories about crossing into Canada there ?
This is one real busy border crossing, especially in the summer time people seem to move back and forth very easily, I know I have never had a problem coming or going!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrhappy999
I've had no trouble crossing into Canada. Everyone has been friendly. But getting back in the states has been a completely different experience, rude would be putting it nicely.
Yup I live in Canada and winter in Florida, my crossing experience into the US are always stressful, you never know what to expect. I have had my passport held, been questioned, made to sit in the building for an hour at a time looking at my feet, had my car stripped out and left on the ground.
I just try to take it all in stride and not get upset or show emotion.
So far I have always been able to enter the US. That being said I have also passed easily and quickly.
Never had a issue returning to Canada!
Just my experiences.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUI makes one "un admissible" as I recently found out after flying in to the Edmonton Airport. Luckily it has been nearly ten years, at which point it becomes a forgive able offence.
The customs lady told me to consult their consulate BEFORE attempting to enter the country again.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder why US customs officials hassle US citizens returning to the USA from vacationing in Canada?

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

I know this thread is very old, but the information is still relevant.

I am planning to cross into Canada this summer on a motorcycle trip. I have a DUI 30 years ago and nothing since.

I had my Police Chief (I am a Mayor) run a record for me and he says it doesn't show up - he believes it was likely never moved from paper files to a computer-based system. Apparently, university towns rarely bothered with their transient population.

So, do you mention a 30-year-old DUI at the border?

Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by katobird
Screw 'em.. If I decide to go to Alaska, I'm taking the ferry.
Drive north/ferry south. best of both worlds. Either option places you in some beautiful scenery.

Quick Reply: Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?