Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country Ride Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cross Country Ride Advice?

I plan on taking about 3 weeks off in the summer to ride cross country within the USA (about 5000 miles round trip). I have a Road King that is well suited for the task and I will be riding solo. I have a place to stay when I get to my destination. Everything in between is wide open and unplanned.

Just looking for advice from those that have made similar trips. Do's and don'ts? What to bring, what to leave home? Best places to stay and recommended sites to see, etc? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i find it best to not make room reservations ahead of time. you will find your self pushing to get to the motel...or worse yet, you have had a good day and hit your motel in the middle of the afternoon and still feel like riding a couple of more hours.
when it is time to quit for the day-get a room and then worry about eating, gassing up, washing clothes, etc.. the older places usually do not fill up as fast as the large new chain motels.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Clothing wise I like to wear/bring lots of layers. Long sleeve T, wool sweater, fleece pullover, leather jacket, chaps and good set or rain gear. Loose layers are warm and comfortable and leave a lot of options for climate changes. I dont get carried away on clothing, 2 extra pr. of pants and 3x T's with plenty of socks and skivvies (4 ea). Keep in mind that hotels can fill up faster on weekends, especially with local events.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as sights to see, first we'd need to know your starting location and destination.

As far as what to bring, take all the ideas you get and lay all the items out in front of you. Decide what you have to have, and what you can do without. Then pack it for practice. Load the bike up and ride around a bit with it packed. This will prevent any surprises and re-packing the morning you leave, delaying your departure.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Avoid Interstates. See the real America along the byways. Bring a camera and leave expectations behind. Relish every mile.

Aside from that - The very first thing I do is research routes. It's fun to wing it, but it's a real shame to ride just south of something great. There's something amazing in every state.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Start with new tires and oil. Familiarize yourself with motorcycle laws in the states you will be riding. Carry permits are different also.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a good rain suit.

pack each indavidual clothing item in zip lock bags . sqeez all the air out .
your stuff stays dry takes up less space

Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
profp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an XC (Ga to Ca) last year to get to LA for the RFTW. I picked a few places I wanted to see along the way and then asked folks on forums about rides in their own state, I traveled off interstate to destinations via GPS and made no reservations. I did pack a tent and a sleeping bag.

High points for me: $20 KOA tent camping with power and water at the campsites, Hot Springs Arkansas (ask about the motorcycle roads in town), Dodge City, Kansas (gotta see Boot Hill), all of Colorado (rt 50 to Gunnison, million dollar highway from Ooray to Durango), all of Utah (stayed in Kanab two nights to see Bryce and Zion canyon.. "Sun n Sand" motel: $39 a night.. Wayne (manager) is a colorful character I will never forget!).. riding in town Las Vegas will make one appreciate open desert

Pack light (wash clothes at night, buy new and toss old when you cant), don't plan - just look for $39 road motels when you are tired and camp if you dont find one, take some cash if you get stranded and need to "bribe" help, and watch old "Route 66" reruns to get in the mood for the ride!

Enjoy !!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
As far as sights to see, first we'd need to know your starting location and destination.
Starting around the Gulf of Mexico and ending around Puget Sound. Plan on riding through TX, NM, CO, UT, ID, OR and WA. I might hit CA on the way back and am open to taking different routes there and back.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 666 Posts

Stay off the interstates. Use lots of sunblock.

Start out with fresh tires and oil, lube your cables.

Pack your oldest underware and t shirts, throw them away when they get too rank to wear anymore then buy new. Why spend time in a laundramat when you could be riding.

As you go through Texas, spend a day or two in the Hill Country, ride the Three Sisters (there's a thread running somewhere here), have some BBQ at Cooper's in LLano. Check out the Koyote Grill- look it up.

Don't eat in chain restaurants, find places the locals go.

Quick Reply: Cross Country Ride Advice?