Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Iron Butts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:52 PM
keyskruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
I am going to try and do it this October. I'm still trying to talk my buddy in to it. It is my understanding that the old road will remain in service. Do you have a ride report on your trip there?
No, sorry I did not write a RR on that portion of a much longer ride. I was on my way to Mazatlon, to pick up the Pan American Highway. My trip ended in Ushuaia, Argentina. I would urge you to check the condition of the road before you attempt it. Also, do not get caught on that road after dark. Be well rested, do not hurry, and stay focused. Stop often and enjoy the scenery. I hope you get to do it. I did it on a Suzuki V-Strom both times, butt I would not hesitate doing it on my RK. Good luck to you.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by keyskruiser
No, sorry I did not write a RR on that portion of a much longer ride. I was on my way to Mazatlon, to pick up the Pan American Highway. My trip ended in Ushuaia, Argentina. I would urge you to check the condition of the road before you attempt it. Also, do not get caught on that road after dark. Be well rested, do not hurry, and stay focused. Stop often and enjoy the scenery. I hope you get to do it. I did it on a Suzuki V-Strom both times, butt I would not hesitate doing it on my RK. Good luck to you.
I'll heed your advice. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM
The painter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

I was on a ride out to the grand Canyon and then into Utah. At 8 AM we left Vernel utah and around 11am i received a call my cousins husband passed away. That kind of put an end to the rest of the trip for me. I broke off and headed home. I made Ames Iowa the next morning 1.089 mikes 18 hrs. Long ride but it felt good. Kind of like sitting in a tree stand all day but I get to see more. I'd do it again but no one I ride with are that hard core.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
jcr1800
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Painter. I am planning a trip out west this year. Where are you outside the beltway? I am in Winchester, Va. I am thinking a southern route so I hit the grand Canyon then up to Yellowstone. Sturgis maybe? Let me know when you were thinking of heading that way if you are!

Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm psyching myself up for another iron butt this summer. I'm thinking of doing the Bun Burner gold.... 2500 km in a day. That's 1500 mi in a day.

I have a route, and a plan. Just have to pick the weekend.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

I am attempting my Bun Burner Gold in just over a week now. Just hoping the weather is going to be OK.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Good Luck Tiki!

Keep the stops short and the wheels turning.
Don't think about how far you have to go, it's just fuel tank to fuel tank.

Please ride safe.

I have a bucket list run in less than 2 weeks. I'll let you guys know after it is over.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-28-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Saddle Sore 1000 about 5 years ago. On a Honda ST1300. No plans to repeat or do anything else like that. Had fun riding across Colorado and Wyoming, got my certificate, man card checked off but that was enough for me.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 568 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Good Luck Tiki!

Keep the stops short and the wheels turning.
Don't think about how far you have to go, it's just fuel tank to fuel tank.

Please ride safe.

I have a bucket list run in less than 2 weeks. I'll let you guys after it is over.
We are doing it as a group. its one of those, develop a plan... Ride the plan rides. We have a small group that is doing the 1500 miles.

We are going 250miles out than back to town at 500 total, where we are picking up more riders wanting to do the 1000 saddle sore. It will be a miracle if we pull this off.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:55 AM
OddJob
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not an official IBA member, but I have done a couple SS1000 rides (undocumented, just trying to get home). The first one I did was from Vegas to Missoula, MT (only 960 miles). I did this on the stock RK seat with no backrest. I will NEVER do that again!

The next spring I got a Mustang seat and a passenger back rest for the bike. In 2014, I helped a friend move to Kansas, and on the ride back home, I stayed the night in Mitchell, SD. I left there at about 8AM the next morning, planning to stop around Billings, MT. I didn't realize that a freaking Motel 6 in that area was still about $150 a night, so I decided to just keep riding and make it home. I had cut off at Spearfish and headed north to Bowman, ND (I had never been to ND on the bike) and then home from there. Total I believe I put around 1065 miles, but since I didn't plan on doing that ride, I didn't document anything.

I was actually thinking about doing the Border to Border this summer. I have a brother that lives just south of Tucson, and I live not far from Canada. Has anyone done this, and how did it go? How was your experience going into Mexico to start it off? That's the part that worried me most, honestly. I get paranoid about what the border crossing guards think when I cross into the country and then come right back out. Not too worried about Canada because I have been there a few times. My planned ride would be from Nogales to Coutts, AB. That way I can take I-15 most of the way. Any advice on would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Iron Butts, check in here.