Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Iron Butts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by classof96
Planning a SS to Minneapolis to check out the start of the rally at the end of June(wish they would announce the host hotel so I knew the area to go to). ......
What rally ? IBA-related ?

Edit - I see it now - in July

Last edited by dh_meyer; 01-09-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
nitrox36
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My confirmation email arrived as I was reading through this thread.

We left Nashville at 8:00 on a Friday night and crossed Kansas, arriving in Erie, CO the next afternoon. I liked leaving in the evening, it put us through the darkness while we were still awake and alert. We hit the obligatory rain for a while but it was light and not a bother. Traffic was light to non existent except for one section where Paul Gilmartin describes it best as "You have 8 lanes down to 1 and nobody's working." 45 minutes of clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out and we were back up to speed.
After spending Sunday with my sister and her family in Erie we spent the next week touring through CO, UT, and AZ before heading back.
Off to plan the next one.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer

That would be the Iron Butt Rally

Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer

That would be the Iron Butt Rally

Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM
bubfryder
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After riding from Oregon to the Sturgis rally in 2015, I wandered up to Minot AFB to hang out w/ my oldest who was stationed there at the time. Three days later, I took off for home, thinking I'd go until I got tired.. never had a plan or route, just head west. I was finally worn out about an hour from my house, took a 20 minute power nap and finished the trip. 1,269 miles in 21 hours, my unintentional foray into the Iron Butt. This late summer I plan on actually doing a certified run, just need to figure out the timing. I have a nephew playing college football in Spearfish, that seems like a good enough reason, catch a game and get the Iron Butt accomplished.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 AM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which app

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Agree on the last sentence. Perhaps you misunderstood my Marriott reference which was followed by a 'grin' emoticon. That reference was an attempt at humor, an overstated euphemism if you will. I too stay at Mom & Pop motels (Marriotts are far too expensive). I have the app on my cell phone. I take the road 'less traveled' and only use the interstate when there is no alternative. I have met some wonderful folks, observed some fabulous scenery and been on some great and challenging roads. That is why I didn't understand the "Iron Butt" philosophy. I was not "knocking it", now that is has been explained I can understand why folks do it and also understand that it is not for me.
What app do you use? Is it a general app or does it point you to mom and pop businesses? My first instinct is to patronize a small business.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've been using Motelguide.com for years. There is also Momandpopmotels.com. Haven't tried them yet. They seem to have the same choices.

I still use the web for reservations. Don't have a smart phone and don't want one....or need one. Vacations are so much more relaxed when I don't have that obnoxious little box in my pocket.

The following users liked this post:
Emil Wide Glide (02-01-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 AM
DJ_WOBBLE
Tourer

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

On May 10, 2016,Ron Womblerodea 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special a total of 1,556grueling miles in twenty-three hours and nine minutes. Starting in Oxnard California,continuing onto Phoenix,Arizona, Las Cruces, New Mexico, Abilene, Texas before ending up in Dallas,Texas at Gas Monkey Garage where he was greeted by Richard Rawlingsand Aaron Kuafman from the hit TV show Fast and Loud. Mr. Womble was participatingin the American Legion Riders Department of California’s first ever CALTEX24 which he planned, promoted, and led himself. Which raised 20,000 dollars for the American Legion Departmentof California Veteran Affairs and Rehabilitation Program.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:21 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Did a Saddlesore 1000 a few years back. Left from Denver went to Topeka KS for lunch and then back home. Was a blast. Left at 3am on a Saturday morning and returned at 2am on Sunday morning. All was going well until we had to wait out a tornado in Colby KS. That cost us about 3 hours of road time.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My RG is back on the road again... ice has finally melted outside my garage, put on an 800km weekend.

Now I'm thinking ironbutt season is here. I have a few routes mapped out, but it's still too early in the season, my routes go through the mountains.

Anyone have any solid IB plans for this summer?

Quick Reply: Iron Butts, check in here.