Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First trip to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Joshua Tipton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hearing the reasons as to why you have to wear your colors reminds me of shows with gang bangers (bloods, crips) and other geniuses ranting around with gang signs and colors.....in my opinion grow up. The only "colors" I wear are for school pride, Go Razorbacks.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Lone Star Biker
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joshua Tipton
Hearing the reasons as to why you have to wear your colors reminds me of shows with gang bangers (bloods, crips) and other geniuses ranting around with gang signs and colors.....in my opinion grow up. The only "colors" I wear are for school pride, Go Razorbacks.
Just to clarify, I am not in a gang. I am in a motorcycle club.

Based on your reasoning, maybe you and all your buddies should not be allowed to wear your razorback paraphernalia. It could be dangerous when your gang encounters the gang from College Station.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Joshua Tipton
Intermediate

If wearing our Razorback colors caused issues or for some reason or another was not allowed in a particular location then I wouldn't. I don't like it that this world has come to that type of control but until something changes on the hill and and within the court systems it is going to continue this way. Unfortunately Americans have grown to allowing public figure heads to bandaid the problem instead of fixing it.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
reddzx
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the colors issue pertains to long standing club rivalries that have exploded into violence at other venues. Sturgis is neutral ground, respect it if asked but the locals.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
eaglebub7
Novice

Hells Angels are a "motorcycle club" also, maybe your club is affiliated, I don't know, but they usually have a base camp set up near One Eyed Jack's if you wanna look em up. Or, you can drop your ego, forget about the colors you "earned" and just enjoy some of the most beautiful countryside this land has to offer. You will find very few businesses that will allow colors, they simply don't need your $3 beer purchase that bad.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I watchin this one ....

Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
HarleyCarm
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I will **** some people off but I've always believed that MC's and gangs attracted individuals who simply can't stand on their own and need to be part of something someone else built.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
steved57
Intermediate

Now I'm watchin this one !!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the train is coming off the tracks, so I may as well jump on. Sorry harleyCarm, I don't think u or anyone else is informed enough to make a general statement as to why people join an mc. Every mc and every individual's motivations are different. I'm sure some fit your description, but your generalized statement demonstrates more than opinion....also ignorance.

As I assume you know, there are more than just the "outlaw" or 1% mc's around. I've never been in one, so I'm not going to speculate as to why any single individual made their individual choice to join a particular club.

But, I can speak to my own club and motivations. I belong to the Warthogs M/C, a law enforcement club. Our membership is almost entirely made up of active/retired police officers and firefighters. We raise thousands of dollars every year and distribute that money to police officers and firefighters whom are hurt or killed in the line of duty, or are befallen by something like illness that their work insurance will not adequately cover. We also love to ride, to be around others who understand the daily issues with which we deal and, oh yeah, damn right we want to stand together. Not because we are "individuals who cannot stand on their own," but because we believe in standing up for each other. Our members spend every day running into situations, often alone, from which most people run away.

Again, all I can speak to are my motives and my Club, but I can tell you that wearing my patch does have real meaning.in horrible circumstances, I have benn very proud to have worn it while hugging 6 newly widowed wives of officers in the last couple years. They may not remember me, but I guarantee they remember the Warthogs' support.

If a bar doesn't want my $3 because of this patch, so be it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 AM
pokey074
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDeal
Well, the train is coming off the tracks, so I may as well jump on. Sorry harleyCarm, I don't think u or anyone else is informed enough to make a general statement as to why people join an mc. Every mc and every individual's motivations are different. I'm sure some fit your description, but your generalized statement demonstrates more than opinion....also ignorance.

As I assume you know, there are more than just the "outlaw" or 1% mc's around. I've never been in one, so I'm not going to speculate as to why any single individual made their individual choice to join a particular club.

But, I can speak to my own club and motivations. I belong to the Warthogs M/C, a law enforcement club. Our membership is almost entirely made up of active/retired police officers and firefighters. We raise thousands of dollars every year and distribute that money to police officers and firefighters whom are hurt or killed in the line of duty, or are befallen by something like illness that their work insurance will not adequately cover. We also love to ride, to be around others who understand the daily issues with which we deal and, oh yeah, damn right we want to stand together. Not because we are "individuals who cannot stand on their own," but because we believe in standing up for each other. Our members spend every day running into situations, often alone, from which most people run away.

Again, all I can speak to are my motives and my Club, but I can tell you that wearing my patch does have real meaning.in horrible circumstances, I have benn very proud to have worn it while hugging 6 newly widowed wives of officers in the last couple years. They may not remember me, but I guarantee they remember the Warthogs' support.

If a bar doesn't want my $3 because of this patch, so be it.
Hell, if that's the case, you can pack heat inside the bars and even put a few rounds into some Hell's Angels. Iron Pigs did it a few years back.

Quick Reply: First trip to Sturgis