Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Boarder to Boarder PCH (101) for Veteran Documentary

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
twhill3
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boarder to Boarder PCH (101) for Veteran Documentary

Hows it going Gents,

You guys have never steered me wrong before so I wanted to get your help.
I am a former Marine, Combat Videographer finishing up my last quarter of film school. Ever since i bought my Harley after Iraq I have wanted to ride up the Pacific Coast. Now that I finally am done with the Corps and school I am making the trip but I also want to make a documentary film while doing. My brother, and also Marine and OIF Vet, want to take this trip as a way to see the country that we fought for but also explore the connection between Veterans and Motorcycles. As most know, motorcycles and motorcycle gangs/clubs got there start with groups of veterans wanting to continue there love for bikes, freedom, and danger once they came back from WWII. 70 years later, motorcycles are still a huge part of american and veteran culture.

That being said, I am starting my planning stage and am trying to figure out the logistics. The main things I am curious about.

First off, how many miles can you cover in a day? conservatively, since we are filming we will be taking plenty of scenic pit stops. We are planing on doing this 'easy rider' style with just bed rolls and crashing with other vets. How accessible are campsites? and are they expensive? Is the 101 the best route or is there a more scenic way? I mapped it out to be 1440 miles, as far as planning for gas how big of a buffer should I have. And Lastly does anyone have any tips?

Also if there are any vets near the coast that would want be involved in the film let me know. I am looking for vets that love motorcycles and wouldn't mind talking on camera or helping a passer thru.

Thanks again guys.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First off, thanks for your service...

My bud and I did the coast trip last year going south and I'll be doing the trip north next month. We average 250-300 miles a day stopping occasionally for photos/food/pit stops. 101 is the road from Humbolt area and north. South of there, you can hug Hwy 1 all the way. It's all beautiful.

We just stopped at motels but I'm going to find camping spots this year. I don't think finding availability won't be a problem.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

there wont be any problem with getting Gas

Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just looked at your picture and that is a sportster you might have to watch your gas along the P C H and fill up when you can as there are some kind of long distance without gas along the highwas south of Big Sur