Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route suggestion from Va to Boston

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Route suggestion from Va to Boston

I'm putting my Fatboy on the Auto Train to Lorton VA and then riding to Boston. Can anyone suggest a good route? The GPS wants to take my the quickest way through all the most dense areas around like Philly and Brooklyn. I did plan this route that works and is about 11 hours.
I sure would like any suggestions you have.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Take 95 to the Del. Memorial Bridge. Run the NJ Tpk. through NJ. Go west of NY City and cross the Hudson above NYC on the Tapanzee Bridge. Get on 684 and run it up to 84. Take 84 till it ends and get on the Mass Pike. Head toward Boston on the Mass. Pike or take 495 & 93.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

You can just be boring and use 95 then like above post go through ct. I would go gwbridge the through times square. Then get back to 95 then go to route 1. Disclaimer, I have not been through route 1 from south of providence however. Pickup rte 1 in providence which will intertwine with 95 at least twice. Then you'll be on rte 1 north and 93 south at the same time on the same road. This sucks to out-of-towners.
95 is better for my money.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:16 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The route you've displayed is way longer, more scenic and certainly more sane especially if you are in no rush. I used to travel between the Philadelphia suburbs and Boston several times a year for 20+ years. Those suggestions about 95 are valid, for sure, but no fun and downright dangerous. The NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, 287, Tappen Zee Bridge, 684, 84, Mass Pike is one of the most direct routes (and I took it constantly) but it is mayhem in a car and I'd never do it on a bike. The cagers are constantly trying to get ahead of each other and it's dangerous beyond words. It is a true display of what's worst with humankind... ymmv, but I doubt it.

It looks like you're coming into Boston from the west off of Route 2, so hop onto 2a then 117, then find your way onto 30. It winds its way thru Concord and Lexington and Weston and Newton. Once you pick up 30 (Commonwealth Ave, the route of the Boston Marathon and up Heartbreak Hill, about 1/3 mile from where I live) you'll go past Boston College, Chestnut Hill and into Kenmore Square and the Back Bay. Much nicer... Enjoy your road trip - if you have any bike problems, PM me and I can connect you with a few indies in the area or hook you up with the Service Dep't. at Boston Harley.

Last edited by doctorharrison; 05-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren9073
I'm putting my Fatboy on the Auto Train to Lorton VA and then riding to Boston. Can anyone suggest a good route? The GPS wants to take my the quickest way through all the most dense areas around like Philly and Brooklyn. I did plan this route that works and is about 11 hours.
I sure would like any suggestions you have.

I don't know where Lorton, Va is but from Richmond, Va go I95N to Hwy 33W to Hwy 17N to I81N to I84E to I90E to I495 (Boston) If you are starting from DC area take the west bypass to I270N to I70W to I81N, then follow prev notes. You do not want to run north on I95 and across the GW bridge and I95 thru CT, it's a zoo. Traffic is nuts, many delays and tolls. The only toll you will have going the way I noted is a bridge in Newburgh, NY. When you get NE of Scranton,Pa it is actually a pretty ride all the way to I90

Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Warren9073
Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been on 95, the Jersey turnpike and the Garden State Parkway before and certainly want to avoid them on the bike. That's why I have such a westerly route. My destination is actually Lexington MA.

Doctor Harrison I think you convinced me to stick with what I have, "The route you've displayed is way longer, more scenic and certainly more sane". That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again all.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

More sane fore sure. Scenic? I'll debate you all day on that one. I90 is just crappy highway with little to see but open road and other cars. Lexington is on 95 and there is some good riding about that way. It is only 15 miles from me.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

"I did plan this route that works and is about 11 hours."

My guess is that the route you show in your original post is going to take more than 11 hours. Looks to me to almost be worthy of a 2-day trip. As an aside, the Auto-Train to Lorton is an "overnighter". If you're traveling coach, you may not get as much rest as you _think_ you're going to get. I can almost guarantee that you're not going to want to ride 11+ hours after getting off the Auto-Train.

Your route doesn't look too bad from Lorton to the Scranton area.
From there, you're going 'way out of the way (unless that's your intention).

From Scranton, I'd suggest either i-84 or Rt. 6 to Pt. Jervis (NY state line). 84 is fastest, Rt. 6 is scenic. Both go to the same place.

At Pt. Jervis you have a choice
1. stay on 84 across NY, into CT. It's not really that bad a road, except for around the Hartford area (you can bypass Hartford by taking i-691 after Waterbury to i-91 north, then taking the Charter Oak bridge _back to_ i-84). 84 goes to the Mass Pike, but you might want to consider different routes instead.

2. At Pt. Jervis, turn northward. Take US. 209 to the Kingston/Rhinecliff Bridge. Cross the bridge, turn right and go to US. 9. Turn left and take 9 north to Rt. 23 east. This will take you into Great Barrington, you can stay on 23 east to Woronoco, get on 20 east to Westfield.

Then turn left onto 202 (actually heading north a short ways) to Holyoke, then 202 heads east again.

202 runs into Rt. 9 heading east, nice road that should head you into the Boston area.

I WOULD NOT suggest traveling north on 95. You ARE NOT going to enjoy that route. It isn't the kind of road that yields any enjoyment for motorcycling (in my opinion). In the worst parts, I'd consider it downright dangerous to be on a bike there, especially if you're not familiar with the areas.

By the way, if it _is_ your intention to go a bit out of the way, the route from Binghamton to Albany to Bennington and then down into northern Massachusetts would be a good one. You might want to consider NY Rt. 7 instead of i-88 (between Binghamton & Albany), a more pleasant ride.

If you can get to Binghamton the first evening, there's a couple of motels just north of the city (Motel 6 and a fancier one right next to it), with the Binghamton HD dealer just a walk away.

Last edited by Fishrrman; 05-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Fishrrman: Nice route! The only suggestion I can offer is that, once in Massachusetts, Route 9 is a great road until you get to Worcester. If there's a way of avoiding Worcester and Rte 9 east of there, I'd take it, maybe up thru Holden or Hudson on 62.

@Warren9073: Enjoy your trip and Ride Safe

Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Warren9073
Tourer

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
@Fishrrman: Nice route! The only suggestion I can offer is that, once in Massachusetts, Route 9 is a great road until you get to Worcester. If there's a way of avoiding Worcester and Rte 9 east of there, I'd take it, maybe up thru Holden or Hudson on 62.

@Warren9073: Enjoy your trip and Ride Safe
How about going around Worcester on 290 to 20 (Boston Post Rd). Then 20 to 95. Then I', only a few miles from Lexington via 95.

Quick Reply: Route suggestion from Va to Boston