Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My Solo Coast to Coast Ride...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Highlux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I so want to do this.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a 5300 mile, 12 day solo trip in '12 from Kentucky to the Four Corners. I wanted to ride the Million Dollar Hwy., then go to the Four Corners. After that besides a general idea of what I wanted to see I planned the next days ride each night at the hotel.

I toured a lot of western Colorado, Utah and down to Sedona, Arizona. Looped around to Winslow then jumped on the slab and headed home. I had a great trip and a great time. Solo you tend to meet more people and people seem more open to you. Also you run into a lot of bikers traveling too. Almost every night there were other bikers where I was staying and we'd trade stories before going our separate ways.

Coming through Colorado as I got close to Durango I noticed more and more Spyders, you know those 3 wheelers with two wheels on the front. I thought man these things are popular out here. Turns out when I got to Durango a Spyder rally was just wrapping up. Apparently there had been about 750 of them at the rally. Cool stuff!

A lot of the roads I traveled on in Utah, Arizona, and Colorado, while amazing roads, were some of the most desolate I've ever been on. Often I'd go miles without seeing anyone else, usually the odd BMW, going the other way and usually they were solo as well. I thought a time or two if I ran off the road I may never be found LOL, but I loved it!

I enjoy riding. Solo, with a couple people, groups large or small and once a year ride for a couple weeks with a huge group. I love it all but there are some real advantages to going solo and I recommend it to anyone thinking about doing it. Take a credit card for emergencies, make sure to keep your cell phone charged up and use your head when traveling. You'll have the time of your life!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Im 35 years old and I have to imagine its pretty rare for people to ride solo coast to coast and back by themselves just because they felt like it. I dont know anybody personally who has and most of what I find online is people doing it in groups over a long period of time or going one way and flying back.
I've read about a lot of folks doing that, but not nearly that fast; most bike trips like that are for enjoying the ride and the scenery, and most of us don't enjoy day after day sprints. Averaging 200-400 miles a day, avoiding interstates, is probably more common, with a lot of stops to enjoy what's there. Only time I made all day high speed sprints was to get somewhere with limited time to do it, even in my younger days (unfortunately, that was most rides back then). I can understand why you'd do it, though; I'd guess most of us have an urge to see what we haven't yet, and when you have a job, it's hard to find time to do it leisurely. I took my parents on a 3 day vacation at Puget Sound, Glacier Park, and San Diego, but that was flying and renting cars (if the destinations sound odd, that was the best I could come up with then for late evening flights to get to the next place). However you do it, you'll always have those memories. That weather sounds like it kind of made an adventure out of it, too.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Awesome. Sounds like a great ride. I'm doing a solo ride from NC to CA late this summer/early fall, but I have to fly home due to limit number of vacation days. Still trying to figure out the routes so I can stay off 40. Any advice on a time to go to miss the storms?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

It wasn't exactly coast to coast (I started in Phoenix), but I road out to Key West and back in 2012. Technically, it was a coast to coast trip, because my wife and I drove out to San Juan Capistrano using the same route I wanted to ride, the week before I headed out. Similar stats for me. I took 19 days though and avoided interstate as much as was reasonable; using it only on days where I needed to make some time.

Tons of fun. Doing it when I was 35 was basically not possible though: kids, wife, job, money. Too many hands on my time. Too many bills to pay.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Planning this trip in reverse for this August...

Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 PM
chris42795
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am planning to do east to west myself i am from cleveland

Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

My wife and I started out on this trip (point A)...

we made it as far as REdwood City CA. (just south of San Francisco) and this happened

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ultacan
when did this happen I hpoe you heal up fast

Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
Ultacan
when did this happen I hpoe you heal up fast
That was in 2009. It was our "retirement" trip. Spent 2 weeks in Redwood City waiting on insurance. Flew home, turned around with truck and trailer and went back to get the bike!

Quick Reply: My Solo Coast to Coast Ride...