Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Michigan Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Yeah, what he said. 119 is the best road in Michigan.

great rd but i have to disagree not the best rd in Mich....h58 is one to write home about....alot great rd up there and in the lower do yourself a favor and get the card and the travel mag......http://www.upcruising.com/store/

this mag will answer everything you need to know and direct you to the best biker friendly places......cant go wrong in DA'yoop

Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
great rd but i have to disagree not the best rd in Mich....h58 is one to write home about....alot great rd up there and in the lower do yourself a favor and get the card and the travel mag......http://www.upcruising.com/store/

this mag will answer everything you need to know and direct you to the best biker friendly places......cant go wrong in DA'yoop
"scumBAGGER" has a good point ... H-58 is one of the newest paved roads ( it use to be an old snowmobile route ) in the state and it's a GREAT RIDE TO BE SURE ... Fantastic scenery and sweeping curves have people who have ridden it calling it the "Dragon of Michigan"

The following users liked this post:
Grandslam (12-03-2023)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM
eek22
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highway 2 is great. H58 is better and can check out waterfalls, pictured rocks, unbelievable beaches along Superior, and really doesn't put you more than a couple hours out of the way. The traffic is nothing to worry about, especially if you are from Cleveland. I am at the eastern point of the U.P. and love riding up here. The deer are no joke though, seriously keep your eyes peeled and hover around te yellow line at dusk so you have time to react to animals running out from either side of the road.

The following users liked this post:
Grandslam (12-03-2023)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh ya forgot to add....eat a pasty......make sure you say it right!!!!paaaa---sss---tiee

Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Echo most of what was said here. Blast over to the east coast of Lake Michigan somewhere near Manistee, take M22 north around the thumb back to Traverse City, pick up US 31 north to Harbor Springs and pick up M119. Stop at Leggs Inn and from there it's only a short ride over to I-75 via West Levering Road. Cross the bridge to US 2. I would highly suggest going to the South shore of Superior and then over to Tahquamenon Falls then on over to Munising and take the boat tour to Picture Rocks. Well worth the time and money. Work your way south to US 2 from there via what route you think best. Don't know about M58 in the UP but I heard that it is now paved. Remember when traveling along or near the lakes, watch for sand across the road.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

Great ideas, thanks for the insight and suggestions. It's been years since I've been in the UP and never on a bike. I appreciate all the advice!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
birddogin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you go over near traverse city up along there is nice country, also depending on what time of day you go thru mackinaw the admirals table has a prety good breakfast buffet. also on 2 watch for black bear i had one so close to my jeep i could have smacked him on the *** as he ran by

Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 PM
whynotf75
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds fun, how long you taking to do this ride?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the time, check out Door County in Wisconsin. Once you hit Green Bay, take I43 over the Leo Frigo Bridge. Then loop around the 'thumb' of Wisconsin. Great little tourist towns, winerys, etc. Plan on an extra day.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
willknotsign
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"scumBAGGER" has a good point ... H-58 is one of the newest paved roads ( it use to be an old snowmobile route ) in the state and it's a GREAT RIDE TO BE SURE ... Fantastic scenery and sweeping curves have people who have ridden it calling it the "Dragon of Michigan"
H58 still is the snowmobile route, they don't plow it in the winter. It's as much fun on a sled as it is on a bike!

Quick Reply: Lake Michigan Tour