Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Michigan Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the south shore of Lake Superior to the north shore of Lake Michigan. One favorite spot that has not been mentioned is Copper Harbor but I realize you may be limited for time.

If you're an NFL fan consider a stop at Lambeau Field in Green Bay and take a tour and visit the Packers Hall of Fame.

Watch for critters up there and have a safe trip!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by whynotf75
Sounds fun, how long you taking to do this ride?
Not long, actually going to Northern WI for a family reunion. So, my plan is to leave CLE on a Wednesday morning, overnight in Mackinaw City, Thursday morning cross the bridge and ride West on 2, then south along the Lake into WI, head West on 64 and work my way to my families place just West of Mountain, WI. Then after the reunion, head south to MIlwaukee (my home town), take the high speed ferry across the Lake to Muskegon and then ride home to CLE. The entire trip will last 6 days, 3 of which will be riding. I leave in two weeks.

From all the responses to my original post abut the UP, I'll definitely be back to the UP when I have more time to explore the area!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Just wanted to add some pictures from my trip this week to Hale, MI. We went south over the Mackinac Bridge on Friday. The day before; a Semi had tipped over on it's side from the high winds, so my wife was all wigged out. I just followed my forum members advice and let my wheel wiggle a little. Got some cool pictures coming back today. My wife took them:

I looked down briefly. Didn't get this awesome view!

The grates from driver's point of view:

The sides are a little disconcerting, because the sides are low, and easy to look through.

Last edited by Ron750; 07-21-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Ron - love that first shot through the grate! I have a little acrophobia so I usually stay right and if not, I sure as hell don't look down.

OP - When you pass through Marinette (hwy 64) make sure you stop at Mickey Lu's BBQ. Old school burger joint. Very popular. When you leave Mountain I would exit to the west over to Hwy 55. One could consider it the Wisconsin Dragon. Very curvy and scenic. Runs along the wolf river. After that I like to continue down 187 (more or less along the Wolf) to Shiocton. There's a couple of lunch places there and one decent biker bar. From there you can head south and pick up Hwy 41 for the express route to MKE, or you can get on to Hwy 32 and meander the farm roads down. And as mentioned, be especially aware of deer between dusk and dawn.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

QUOTE=nevada72;11551565]Ron - love that first shot through the grate! I have a little acrophobia so I usually stay right and if not, I sure as hell don't look down.

OP - When you pass through Marinette (hwy 64) make sure you stop at Mickey Lu's BBQ. Old school burger joint. Very popular. When you leave Mountain I would exit to the west over to Hwy 55. One could consider it the Wisconsin Dragon. Very curvy and scenic. Runs along the wolf river. After that I like to continue down 187 (more or less along the Wolf) to Shiocton. There's a couple of lunch places there and one decent biker bar. From there you can head south and pick up Hwy 41 for the express route to MKE, or you can get on to Hwy 32 and meander the farm roads down. And as mentioned, be especially aware of deer between dusk and dawn.[/QUOTE]

We stopped at Mickey Lu's. Hadn't been there in years. I forgot that if you want ketchup or mustard you need to order it when you order the Burger. Real ice cream milkshakes/malts.

Last edited by Ron750; 07-21-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Ron - love that first shot through the grate! I have a little acrophobia so I usually stay right and if not, I sure as hell don't look down.

OP - When you pass through Marinette (hwy 64) make sure you stop at Mickey Lu's BBQ. Old school burger joint. Very popular. When you leave Mountain I would exit to the west over to Hwy 55. One could consider it the Wisconsin Dragon. Very curvy and scenic. Runs along the wolf river. After that I like to continue down 187 (more or less along the Wolf) to Shiocton. There's a couple of lunch places there and one decent biker bar. From there you can head south and pick up Hwy 41 for the express route to MKE, or you can get on to Hwy 32 and meander the farm roads down. And as mentioned, be especially aware of deer between dusk and dawn.
Thanks for the tip about Mickey Lu's! I'll stop there tomorrow. I left Cleveland this am and am sitting in my hotel room in Mackinaw City typing this. Tomorrow morning we cross the bridge and then head west on hwy 2.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwtrick
Thanks for the tip about Mickey Lu's! I'll stop there tomorrow. I left Cleveland this am and am sitting in my hotel room in Mackinaw City typing this. Tomorrow morning we cross the bridge and then head west on hwy 2.
Zip's HD (Mackinaw City) has a T shirt shop near the bridge. Some nice shirts. I bought one made in USA, which is getting hard to find. Got one on clearance with a cool bridge view.

Last edited by Ron750; 07-24-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
bshughes657
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will be riding from Ontonagon across the UP to Paradise. Can any one tell me if H58 is paved from Munising to Deer Park.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made a similar trip the first part of July taking nothing but back roads and camping along the way. I toured along both lakes' northern shores and the UP.

Plus 1 for the the Tunnel of Trees...I took it all the way up to Wilderness Park area...not very much traffic...one of the best roads I have been on!

Plus 1 for the cool/cold weather gear!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Planning to take this trip in the next month or so. Thanks for the tips.

By the way do you eat your Pasty with gravy or ketchup?

Quick Reply: Lake Michigan Tour