Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best day ride out of Honolulu?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Jinx1C4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best day ride out of Honolulu?

Gotta go to Hawaii for work next week and I'm supposed to have all of next Saturday off so I thought I'd rent a bike. What's the best route for a one day sightseeing tour out of Honolulu?

Thanks

Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 AM
nahanhoku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your google maps on... and I suggest you leave early in the morning to enjoy the ride without too much traffic. I always begin my rides at sun up but start out no later than 9 am.

If you are in town head out toward Diamond Head then toward Waialae Golf Course make the turn to get on H-1 going East. H-1 drops you onto Kalanianaole Hwy. Continue East toward Koko head, you will pass Hanauma Bay, Blow Hole, Sandy Beach...continue around Makapuu Point. Just follow the road until you hit the T at Castle medical center, turn-left onto Pali Hwy. You will have a choice to take the Pali back into Honolulu or make the right onto Kamehameha or Kahekili Hwys thru Kaneohe and continue on the Hwy into Kahuku (lots of Garlic Shrimp trucks) all the way past North Shore into Haleiwa (eats, gas, shopping). Coming out of Haleiwa take the Kam Hwy south thru the pineapple fields. You can stop by the Dole plantation if you desire (see how pineapples are grown, Dole goodies, food). Continue into Wahiawa onto the H-2 freeway. Follow the H-2 into the H-1 merge then back into Honolulu.

If staying at JBPH-Hickam. Get on the H-1 and head north toward Pearl City, get onto the H-3 toward Kaneohe and then get onto the Kahekili Hwy taking the same route into Haleiwa. You can't get lost, just keep the ocean to one side. You have a choice of going clockwise or counter clockwise. You cannot go fully around the island as the road dead ends on the west end (Ka'ena Point) of the island.

Last edited by nahanhoku; 08-17-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

I would like to add......go on up the Pali Hwy. to the Pali overlook. Backtrack to continue your ride.
Also have lunch at one of the Shrimp trucks/buses. Not bad.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:14 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Their's really no good riding on Oahu. Lived there from 2000-2007, so I know my way around. We went back to visit our son, who's stationed there in the Coast Guard with his wife and three boys for a month this past Christmas and New Year's. The place has turned into a parking lot, is grid locked with bumper to bumper traffic, the scenery is beautiful but the roads are terrible, a lot pot holes and rough roads, traffic just backs up and stops.
We'd head up to the North Shore and have to turn around because the traffic just backs up and stops on the Kam Hwy. It would be a waist of money to rent a bike there if your looking to run a bike through the gears. My favorite ride when I used to live there was up the Kam Hwy to Dillingham airfield and watch the sky diving, you can park right next to the landing zone.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 08-17-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM
nahanhoku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
The place has turned into a parking lot, is grid locked with bumper to bumper traffic, the scenery is beautiful but the roads are terrible, a lot pot holes and rough roads, traffic just backs up and stops.

What jamesroadking stated about the traffic is true (it sucks) and the reason I recommended getting out early. Right at sun up is best - cooler, no traffic and leaves time to stop and enjoy the scenery without the crowds. If you start out after 9 am by the time you hit the North shore, plan on slow moving especially during high surf season (Winter).

You can't go ***** out, but riding here can be fun and always something to see - and you can't beat the weather either.

Last edited by nahanhoku; 08-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Jinx1C4
Tourer

Thanks. This is my first time visiting Hawaii so I want to ride so I can check the block. I'm going to Anchorage the week after for another inspection so I may rent on there too. I feel like I'm being cheated out of a week of good riding since our season is so short here in Western Washington.