Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tioga and Sonora pass

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM
mbjohnc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tioga and Sonora pass

Has anyone here rode through the Tioga Pass (hwy 120) or the Sonora Pass (hwy 108) lately? I'll be visiting family in Modesto, CA on Friday, then Saturday morning heading east to the 395 via either the Tioga or Sonora Pass. Then north on the 395 to Reno for Street Vibrations. Just wanted to find out if the road condition is good, and recommendations for places to eat along those routes.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Not sure on the road conditions but at the bottom of the pass on the eastern side there's a mobile gas station with a little resaurant called the Whoa Neli Deli. Good eats, they got everything from seared ahi tuna to buffalo meat loaf.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
flynhawgs
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbjohnc
Has anyone here rode through the Tioga Pass (hwy 120) or the Sonora Pass (hwy 108) lately? I'll be visiting family in Modesto, CA on Friday, then Saturday morning heading east to the 395 via either the Tioga or Sonora Pass. Then north on the 395 to Reno for Street Vibrations. Just wanted to find out if the road condition is good, and recommendations for places to eat along those routes.
We just had a little weather come through and drop about 2" on the Summit through the Eastern Sierra's and there may be a little moisture tonight. Other than that the roads are clear for now and still open.

If you come up 108, the first good eats you come to are in the town of Walker. The Walker Burger is a good little place for some Damn Good burgers. If you go up the 120, then Lee Vining has a couple good diners.

Safe Travels!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What about the fire in Yosemite?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM
flynhawgs
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
What about the fire in Yosemite?
Hwy 120 is open through Tioga Pass.. I attached a link that has a little information. Pretty sure rest stops and some camp grounds are closed for the rest of the season. But the HWY is still cruse-able!

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
mbjohnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Not sure on the road conditions but at the bottom of the pass on the eastern side there's a mobile gas station with a little resaurant called the Whoa Neli Deli. Good eats, they got everything from seared ahi tuna to buffalo meat loaf.
Uncle Chester thanks for the tip. A buffalo meat loaf sounds pretty good!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 PM
mbjohnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flynhawgs
We just had a little weather come through and drop about 2" on the Summit through the Eastern Sierra's and there may be a little moisture tonight. Other than that the roads are clear for now and still open.

If you come up 108, the first good eats you come to are in the town of Walker. The Walker Burger is a good little place for some Damn Good burgers. If you go up the 120, then Lee Vining has a couple good diners.

Safe Travels!
Flynhawgs, I appreciate the info. especially about the weather. Last I checked, should be sunny and in the 50's on the Sonora pass on saturday. I hope that's the case.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM
mbjohnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flynhawgs
Hwy 120 is open through Tioga Pass.. I attached a link that has a little information. Pretty sure rest stops and some camp grounds are closed for the rest of the season. But the HWY is still cruse-able!

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm
That's a good link. Thanks again Flynhawgs!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mbjohnc
The Tioga Pass can be slow going with all the tourists that frequent Yosemite, that's why I prefer to ride the Sonora Pass whenever I get down that way.(which is every summer)
Enjoy.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 AM
mbjohnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skidder
The Tioga Pass can be slow going with all the tourists that frequent Yosemite, that's why I prefer to ride the Sonora Pass whenever I get down that way.(which is every summer)
Enjoy.
Skidder, Good point. I'm leaning more towards Sonora Pass on the way to Reno on Saturday. When I start heading home, I'll then do the Tioga Pass on Monday. I'm thinking that it'll be less tourist traffic on a weekday.

Quick Reply: Tioga and Sonora pass