Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First dream road trip complete!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Well were almost done our New England road trip!
Can't wait to see more pics!

Thank you to your wife and kids for their sacrifice, and thank you for your service!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Alphachief
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough post to read through...as I sit here stuck behind my computer at work (I know...get back to work). Looks like a great trip! I can't wait to get the RKC out that way.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:36 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

pulling out an old post... but you pointed it out.... ha

thanks for the posts.. great pics. Looked at with my kid and we got a kick out of recognizing a few spots. Hey, we been there!!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by road king Q
pulling out an old post... but you pointed it out.... ha

thanks for the posts.. great pics. Looked at with my kid and we got a kick out of recognizing a few spots. Hey, we been there!!
No problem at all, wish I could do a trip like this every year but finding thee time makes it impossible. Hope you enjoyed.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:54 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! those pics are great and you must of had such a great time and top marks to your wife (mine wont even go down the road on the back of bike)
You guys sure have some great scenery over the pond! im proper jealous especially sat here looking at my bike in the wet, cold , damp car park lol.
Cant wait to see your next trip pics!!

Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank You for your Service, Congrats on your retirement and having a lovely wife that will ride on a trip that large. Great Pics!, You hit many great locations and it looked like you all had good weather too. How long was this trip ( Days and Mileage)?
Where was the HD shop with the rusty roof?
Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
Thank You for your Service, Congrats on your retirement and having a lovely wife that will ride on a trip that large. Great Pics!, You hit many great locations and it looked like you all had good weather too. How long was this trip ( Days and Mileage)?
Where was the HD shop with the rusty roof?
Thanks for sharing!
We were on the road for three weeks and the end mileage was 6800 miles, the dealership with the rusty roof was outside of Salt Lake city Utah.

Last edited by hd_rolling; 11-29-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for this thread...what a remarkable trip. Loved the photos. As others have said, this sort of posting takes some of the sting out of the winter. Keep it up!

Old 12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man, Awesome trip and pics. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
1. You mentioned that the tour pak was a knock off from ebay. Do you know the brand? and how is it holding up now that it is a couple of years old?
and
2. Man that tire pic. Was you just trying to squeeze every mile out of it, or did that just slip up on you? and if it slipped up, how did you notice it? Could have gotten a little interesting had you gone much further.

Thanks for your post. Love seeing stuff like this. I have one that I've started from our Florida trip this summer titled Ridin" PCB.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
Hey man, Awesome trip and pics. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
1. You mentioned that the tour pak was a knock off from ebay. Do you know the brand? and how is it holding up now that it is a couple of years old?
and
2. Man that tire pic. Was you just trying to squeeze every mile out of it, or did that just slip up on you? and if it slipped up, how did you notice it? Could have gotten a little interesting had you gone much further.

Thanks for your post. Love seeing stuff like this. I have one that I've started from our Florida trip this summer titled Ridin" PCB.
My tour pack is a Mutazu bottom and top, the rest was all put together with Harley premium parts.

A far as the tire, it still looked good when we started the trip. That was In Red wood Ca when we finally got it replaced. So we had added about 2500 miles to it when it finally needed replacing. It didn't get replaced before we left because I was just retiring from the Army, moving from La to NC and just before we moved my 106 engine crank went out and I had the 120r installed. The engine was finished just in time for the move and we had no time in between to get a new tire installed.

The other issue with getting it replaced was it was just before Sturgis and I guess a lot of Harley dealers out west don't do the traveling Harley priority service. We called three shops when we noticed it was getting bad and they all told us it would be a week before we could get the bike done. So at a last resort we just pulled in the Red Wood Harley and waited five hours to get the tire done.

We had noticed that it was getting bad after Crater Lake, and I was keeping an eye on it at every stop. My wife will tell you that I was pretty worried about it. Just glad it all worked out! With all the extra weight and extra torque it wore down much quicker than normal.

Last edited by hd_rolling; 12-01-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First dream road trip complete!