Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM
caglezxj
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on going and riding out from North Alabama.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Being a morning person has its advantages. I rode out of camp ever day no later than 6:15. Rode an hour and had breakfast closer to my destination, and then pretty much had Needles Hwy., Iron Mtn. Road, etc. to myself. I would be heading back to Sturgis as the crowds were leaving. Hit camp around 3:00, nap for a couple of hours, and then party at night. Enjoy the scenery and roads without the traffic and people watch, listen to bands, and drink at night. It works if you can get up that early.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1on what Cracker said. I went this year for the first time and had no problems with the crowds. Ride smart, pick your times and it's not that bad. We only had a couple days this year so we only got to ride Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Needles Hwy. but had no problems anywhere. If you came on a gas station with a line just ride on to the next one. Most times we didn't wait at all, just don't run low so you HAVE to get it somwhere.

We stayed in Lead this year, which is right beside Deadwood and where I'm hoping to stay next year. The area is pretty centrally located, about 15 miles from Sturgis. If you go into Sturgis get there early afternoon around 3-4 and find a place to park off Lazelle in one of the free lots. Depending on the size of your group you may be able to park on the street but theres lots of free parking if not.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by KahunaJim
...I went this year for the first time and had no problems with the crowds...
Only real road-crowd problem I saw was at the Eye of the Needle -- too many bikes crowding in, made worse by a couple of a-holes who were obviously a bit drunk. We weren't in any real hurry, so just took our time and watched the show.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Sturgis 2014

I used to ride up from Beaufort SC. 3 days enroute, HARD days..... and back. three days there, mostly to recouperate for the ride back. I flew and rented this year, that's how it's going to be for '14. Plenty of places to get your bike serviced. 40 hours if you trailer straight through.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by e6fmf
I used to ride up from Beaufort SC. 3 days enroute, HARD days..... and back. three days there, mostly to recouperate for the ride back. I flew and rented this year, that's how it's going to be for '14. Plenty of places to get your bike serviced. 40 hours if you trailer straight through.

Good luck
Yeah lots of places to get your bike serviced especially if you're just wanting your oil changed. Saw lots of signs for oil changes. If you service it just before you go though I see no reason why you couldn't make it round trip without needing service anyway.

This past summer several us made a 3 week trip out west riding about 7k between services with no adverse effect....course we were all using synthetic.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
banjoplayer2
Cruiser
Default $$$

First off, understand this; Sturgis sole goal is to separate you from as much of your money as they can! From the police department rite down to T-shirts sales. I've seen some chicken **** stuff out of their little army of cops. It seems maybe it has gotten a little better in later years. Maybe its the whole everybody has a camera thing.

Putting stop signs on every corner to intentional cause a jam so you'll stay downtown pay big money for drinks & Food.

I'm not a big partier (anymore) so I like watching all the goings on. I stay at Glencoe camp ground. They for the most part are as fair as anybody. Nice people.

I know everybody goes to experience the "Sturgis experience", but one of the best times I ever had was me and a couple buddies got there 6 days early; stayed three days of the rally and headed home. You miss the big name bands, but everything else was setup and running. Much friendlier and better service.

As the days go by and people have partied more days in a row, ate less, dehydrated, little to no sleep etc. The stupider things get, and the more you have to be on your toes! Make no mistake about it bikers die every year at Sturgis! People think because they are on vacation nothing bad can happen to them. Wrong!

For me the fun is taking my time going to and back. I'm only 900 and change from there, but I like to take my time. Hit some watering holes along the way.

It's something every biker should experience once.

I have more fun at the Bikes, Babes, Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville, Ark. in September than any place else I go. 200 miles from home, an a hell of good time.

Safe travels.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

We trailered the first time and camped, got a tent site that had electricity and paid extra to keep our enclosed 15x7 trailer at the tent site. Trailer had two bikes (non touring at the time), grill, canopy tent folding chairs, refrigerator, fan, microwave, and a queen size real mattress. We set up a tent to keep the bikes in at night and stayed in the trailer. Might be stealing but the prices they charge are pretty high. We spent maybe 5-6 hours at the camping area at night sleeping, showering and getting dressed. The rest of the time was out riding and seeing the sites. If its your first time and you plan to see the sites, I would recommend camping because you don't spend much time were your going to sleep. And with a condensed time line like you guys might have it would save a little time loading up what ever you want in a trailer and truck instead of having to pack up your bikes with gear. And might as well have some ride and switch off who drives the rig so you can have a break down trailer if issues arise? You could also put a motorcycle jack and bring your oils and just change it at your camp site, our call ahead and make reservations somewhere in advance. Trying to get an oil change or new tire anywhere during Strugis or before is a hassle. We were in Redwood Ca trying to get a tire and fluid change and almost every place we called was booked up because it was the week before Sturgis! There is so much to see and do and so much traffic that you will be out all day everyday or as long as your clutch hand can handle it because of the stop and go traffic, why pay $100 or more a person a night just to sleep?
Might be heading that way next year ourselves, going to try just tenting this time.
Look at deciding soon and making reservations early, you'll save a little.

69'th Sturgis, Hog heaven camp ground. Had the stage with the band right behind us.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Sturgis for the first time! Can be real hard to figure out. So I'll throw my .02 in there for ya. You can't do it all the first time, or the second, or ect. ect. There is so much others have posted and sites you can get info from to come up with a game plan. There sounds like there is enough of you that each can pick what they want to do, might find you had a great time doing something you never would have done with out the suggestion from a friend. Read read read make a plan go have fun and for sure you will have a blast. It is after all your first time so how bad can that be!
Russ

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM
elec2glide
Advanced

Anyone heading to Sturgis from Chattanooga or
Tn. on 8-2-14? Maybe get a group going.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2014