Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sturgis 2014

A group of us are making plans to go to Sturgis in 2014. None of us have been. It's 1650 miles, one way. Sounds like a nice three day ride each way except that some of us will have trouble getting that much time off, 6 ride days and a week at Sturgis. So, we may trailer and drive straight through. We don't know yet. I'd rather ride the whole way. Anyway, my questions have to do with staying at Sturgis.

I have spoken with people who have been about staying in the area. One guy who goes every year says camping is the only way to go. Cool nights make for good sleeping. He says avoid the party campgrounds and go for the quiet ones. He and his dad ride out and hotel it till they get to Sturgis.

Other folks say stay in hotels even if you have a long drive back and forth to the black hills. I don't want to do that. I know a guy who stays 75 miles away from Sturgis and likes it that way, doesn't mind the extra riding. Any opinions, camping vs. hotels?

Also, bike servicing. I normally do my own. I don't use synthetic and wont use it. So, I'll need to get the bike serviced before the ride home (unless we trailer). How do folks work this out?

Is there an airport nearby? My wife wants to fly out and meet me there for a few days and then fly back home.

Any must do rides in the Black Hills? Any notes to make life easier on the trip?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
johnny b
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to help with some of your questions IMO do your service on the way there or on ways home Black Hills Harley will be crazy busy did the service there once, was in line before they opened and did not get bike back until well after 3 for just an oil change. Now I stop in Rochester at dealer there great place good people no appointment first time but they got me in and out now I call ahead and let them know when I'll be there
Hotels or camping that's your call when I was younger I camped now I want a good bed and maybe a hot tub after being on bike all day. It's all good as far as riding Needles highway deadwood spearfish canyon devils tower this past year we got a cabin in Custer state park -book real early- we rode each day to see the attractions if you decide to hotel it again book early this year I'm going to stay a couple nights in Custer a couple nights in Rapid City a couple nights in spearfish or deadwood and enjoy the rides in each area I visit Sturgis during the day as I simply do not party like I used too it is an experience that you will enjoy
If I was to pick one place to stay it would be rapid city biggest selection of hotels an restaurants in area wife can fly into that airport
That's my two cents worth I'm sure others will have varied opinions

Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM
mp535th
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
A group of us are making plans to go to Sturgis in 2014. None of us have been. It's 1650 miles, one way. Sounds like a nice three day ride each way except that some of us will have trouble getting that much time off, 6 ride days and a week at Sturgis. So, we may trailer and drive straight through. We don't know yet. I'd rather ride the whole way. Anyway, my questions have to do with staying at Sturgis.

I have spoken with people who have been about staying in the area. One guy who goes every year says camping is the only way to go. Cool nights make for good sleeping. He says avoid the party campgrounds and go for the quiet ones. He and his dad ride out and hotel it till they get to Sturgis.

Other folks say stay in hotels even if you have a long drive back and forth to the black hills. I don't want to do that. I know a guy who stays 75 miles away from Sturgis and likes it that way, doesn't mind the extra riding. Any opinions, camping vs. hotels?

Also, bike servicing. I normally do my own. I don't use synthetic and wont use it. So, I'll need to get the bike serviced before the ride home (unless we trailer). How do folks work this out?

Is there an airport nearby? My wife wants to fly out and meet me there for a few days and then fly back home.

Any must do rides in the Black Hills? Any notes to make life easier on the trip?
I wasnt planning on going this year coming up but am trying to plan for the 75th...I see your from NC, what part? My wie wants to do the same and Rapid City is the closest airport...

Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see. I went in 1996. I went in 2005. So, I'm due to go in 2014. Not! BTDT, I'm out.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

As far as where to stay, you need to ask yourselves how much you plan on partying? There are ALOT of police in Sturgis and they will stop to talk to you which can lead to bad times. So if your group likes to get their drink on, you need to be in a camp site. The Buffalo Chip is by far the best party in town. Get in at night, park the bike and have the time of your life.

But if that is not your interest, stay out of town. The campgrounds are loud and rowdy all night long. This year we stayed in Holiday Inn in Spearfish. Quick 10 minute ride but we paid over $280/night for the last weekend!??!?!? And it is not that nice of a place. We stayed till Monday, Sunday night the room was only $125 for the night. Rapid City is good for selection but it is far away late at night and with potential for weather. It likes to rain in those mountains.

All the roads are amazing, not a bad ride in the place.

Work out a bike service, if needed, at a dealership on the way in or out. Anything more than 200 miles away will be normal circumstances. Black Hills HD will be a zoo. Or just bring some tools and change the oil yourself.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
...1650 miles, one way... nice three day ride each way... ride the whole way.
I rode up from Baton Rouge for #73, stayed in Custer, about 1,500 miles one way. The first day we covered 700 miles, second day was about 500, third day was about 300. Like you said, nice three-day ride.

I was part of a group of 9 who rented a house in Custer, about 50 miles from Sturgis, cost me $218 for the week (before we left Custer, we put a deposit down on the same house for next year). I only spent about one half-day in Sturgis, wandering up/down Main St, and that was enough. I went to the Chip for one concert (Doobie Brothers and Kid Rock), had one beer in the Full Throttle Saloon. The rest of the week was spent riding, which was my main reason for going. There are plenty of lists of must-ride roads, but it's hard to find a bad ride.

As for service, not sure what synthetic or not has to do with it, but why not just do the service before leaving home? That's what I did, total trip mileage was a bit over 4K, so I got home in time for the next service due; worked fine for me.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The Black Hills are full of great riding roads. Iron Mountain Highway, needles highway, spearfish canyon, deadwood is fun. The ride to Devil's tower is nice. Just too many nice roads to list them all.

Myself, I avoid Sturgis during the rally. I am not a partier so the night life does not interest me, either in Sturgis or one of the campground. Not to mention the ridiculous prices of everything around there during the rally.

We rented a 3 bedroom 3 bath house in Hill City for $1800 for seven nights in mid July. Split that 3 ways and it is pretty reasonable.

My advice for what it is worth.....go to the Black Hills, enjoy all of the great roads and sites that abound there but do it at any other time than the rally.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Eagle Custom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year was my first trip to Sturgis and a buddy and I stayed at Chris Camp in Spearfish in one of there cabins it was $100 a night for 2 people and $20ea if more than 2 people the cabin is small but has heat and A/C and small refrigerator. The restrooms and shower houses were cleaned nightly (showers are pay shower $.25 was enough for a normal shower. They also have breakfast and dinner for a decent price. It is not a party campground quite time at 10pm. Most of the roads in the campground are paved roads.

I am going again in 2014 and this year the wife is going and lets just say she is not much of a camping person so I made reservations for a motel room in Bella Fourche were another buddy of mine has been staying for Sturgis for a few years. Motel room is about $200 a night.

Make reservations as early as possible for cabins or motels as they fill up fast and some of the campgrounds prices get higher closer to rally time.

As for oil change I would try to get it done on my way to the rally or on my way home if at all possible as all the dealerships within 300miles that we stoped at where pretty busy.

As for rides about anywhere you go around Sturgis has somthing to see and do. I really liked Spearfish Canyon,Iron Mt Road , and Needles hwy.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
As far as where to stay, you need to ask yourselves how much you plan on partying? There are ALOT of police in Sturgis and they will stop to talk to you which can lead to bad times. So if your group likes to get their drink on, you need to be in a camp site. The Buffalo Chip is by far the best party in town. Get in at night, park the bike and have the time of your life.

But if that is not your interest, stay out of town. The campgrounds are loud and rowdy all night long. This year we stayed in Holiday Inn in Spearfish. Quick 10 minute ride but we paid over $280/night for the last weekend!??!?!? And it is not that nice of a place. We stayed till Monday, Sunday night the room was only $125 for the night. Rapid City is good for selection but it is far away late at night and with potential for weather. It likes to rain in those mountains.

All the roads are amazing, not a bad ride in the place.

Work out a bike service, if needed, at a dealership on the way in or out. Anything more than 200 miles away will be normal circumstances. Black Hills HD will be a zoo. Or just bring some tools and change the oil yourself.

Good luck and enjoy.
Sage advice.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Chief did not say it, but sure came close. So here's the truth. Do you want to ride or party? Great roads in the Black Hills? Yes. Great riding during or near bike week? No. Not unless you like creeping along cool technical roads behind a mass of other bikes. With some learning to ride and going well below the speed limit.

Then there's the one lane tunnels that create massive traffic jams with the result of a hundred bikes packed together slowly riding to the next tunnel.

On the other hand it's a great party and the best sideshow in America.

To have both you get in your riding taking all back roads to and from Sturgis. No interstate and no candy *** trailers. Of course the trade off is time. I took two and a half weeks this summer with 5 days up and 6 days back. 5,000 miles for a 3,200 mile ride.

You don't have two or three weeks? Then ride safe and live until retirement. It's just as much fun when you're a geezer, maybe more.

Now I will also admit that I love to mock those who trailer as candy *** trailer queens. But, when you live on the far side of the country and only have a week or so, you really should trailer. Cranking on a few 800 mile days back to back can ruin the trip even for a young guy. You want to recover in time for the party.

BTW, to get in any riding during bike week you have to hit the road very early. And the Badlands was the only ride I took this time that was not packed with bikes.

If you have lot's of time take the northern route and see the ND. Badlands. Way different than SD and worth the trip.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2014