Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cape Breton, Cabot Trail 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cape Breton, Cabot Trail 2013

Since I had my FXDX in the Boston area this summer (2013) we decided to use that as a base for a couple of tours. We first did a long weekend at Laconia and then surviving that we headed to Cape Breton to ride the Cabot Trail.

We had a good time overall with some trying moments in the rain. We had little difficulty with the language, almost everyone we met spoke some form of English. :-) Traveling with C combined with the rain left me a lot less inclined to take the daily mileage, but I managed to some key moments. The total from Worcester to Cape Breton was 2460 with 1231 from start to the day we headed back. That means 1229 for the return trip.

Out:

Back:

One highlight was staying at the Keltic Lodge:

We spent time at the beach:

Took scenic pictures:

The pier at St. Andrews

Gave the bike a ride on the ferry to PEI:

and I never got any better at this:

I have more pictures with some comments on what worked and what was a mess. I also have some videos, based on other feedback I received I took a high-res real-time video of the Cabot Trail through the mountains. Of course it is too long too load so I need to find a way to split it up. I'll add these to complete the journey.

TLDR: Canada might as well be a third world country for voice and data communications (I think the quote from AT&T was $3000). Cabot Trail is nice, but it is not US 1. We had a good time, if we ever go back we will go through Halifax. They use funny money. Ask the local teens where to buy refreshing adult beverages when the official stores close.

Last edited by kokemill; 11-06-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I enjoyed your post and the pictures. Will probably do the trip next summer.

You should get a satellite phone to visit remote areas, they always work.

Last edited by zeus33; 11-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by kokemill
....TLDR: Canada might as well be a third world country for voice and data communications (I think the quote from AT&T was $3000)....

Originally Posted by zeus33
I enjoyed your post and the pictures until I got to the part where you insult us and compare us to a 3rd world country.....

Zeus I believe he was just referring to his experience regarding the "voice and data communication" aspect. Not that it would bother me even it it were true. I have an old cell phone for call out emergency (if there happens to be signal) which I leave off to save the battery. There are quite a number of areas down here in WV with no signal and motels with no wiFi. Doesn't bother us dull witted locals but techies should be aware before coming.

Great pics kokemill, that's a beautiful area. It's been over 15 years since I rode the same route, stopping in Boston on the way up.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice pics, we have the same issue with our phones when we head to Northern New England to see my folks. We just turn them off after about 1/2 hour into NH on 91N.
Me and the family are spending the summer up there next summer and me and the wife plan to hit Canada so the wife can say she's been, might have to look at hitting some of the spots you guys did.

Not sure why zeus33 felt the need to insult our children, cities and entire South because you didn't like there voice and data communications? I believe that was uncalled for, no insults from me.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Not sure why zeus33 felt the need to insult our children, cities and entire South because you didn't like there voice and data communications? I believe that was uncalled for, no insults from me.
He edited his original comment, I should have quoted the offending part. But it's gone now so all is good.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahh, tracking brother. Be the bigger person, don't dog the rest of us because of one mans words. Our northern family is better than that.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

TLDR: Canada might as well be a third world country for voice and data communications (I think the quote from AT&T was $3000).
that's interesting . from Rogers (canadian cell supplier) for an extra $60 a month i can get 120 minutes of north american calling and for an extra $10 a month my data plan works across north america (assuming signal of course) . maybe it's AT&T that's still in the third world

anyway , great pics , sounds like you had a lovely trip . you even had some good weather , as they say down there ... if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it will change !

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
that's interesting . from Rogers (canadian cell supplier) for an extra $60 a month i can get 120 minutes of north american calling and for an extra $10 a month my data plan works across north america (assuming signal of course) . maybe it's AT&T that's still in the third world

anyway , great pics , sounds like you had a lovely trip . you even had some good weather , as they say down there ... if you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it will change !

Canada's technology in the telecommunications industry is light years ahead of the American's. But we're not going there.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

We had a good time, if we ever go back we will go through Halifax.

If you do go back, and hit Halifax, try to do it during the Canada Day celebration on July 1st. That's sort of equivalent to our Independence Day. We toured the south part of NS a couple of years ago and spent 2 days in Halifax. They put on a nice fireworks show in the middle of the harbor. There's all kinds of things to do on the 'water walk' (I think that's what it's called). Follow the 'Lighthouse Route'. It will take you all along the coast, thru some beautiful back roads with no traffic.

We stayed at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, which is right on the waterfront. They had the most comfortable beds that any of 10 of us had ever slept on. The place is gorgeous inside and you just have to walk out the back door to see the fireworks.

We met many very nice Canadians all through our trip. All very pleasant, helpful (even when we didn't ask), and courteous.

That's me on the left in the white T shirt looking at the plaque.

Last edited by Deucedog; 11-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

We did the Cabot in 2012 so far it was the best trip we have been on. From the scenery to the folks and the seafood it all made for a great ride. The only disappointment was we missed the whale watching trip, the day we were booked to go the sea was rough and they cancelled. We also Spent a couple days on PEI that trip their oysters were the best I've had.

Quick Reply: Cape Breton, Cabot Trail 2013