Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Skyline Dr. & the Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Here I am being concerned that soon it will be too hot to ride except early morning and late evening. I saw some snow on TV once.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flibuoy
Here I am being concerned that soon it will be too hot to ride except early morning and late evening. I saw some snow on TV once.

LOL

You are missing out!

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Ahhh, the time draws closer. Best part of a vacation is the prelude.....call it foreplay I guess...lol.

This trip is one I have been looking forward to for several years, just never got around to getting to it. There was always something that got in the way, but not this time....God willing.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
etitanic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same, hit the road June 7, make it to the BRP June 13. 6 guys - open road - good food - lots of sights to see - priceless.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Amen brother!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by etitanic
Same, hit the road June 7, make it to the BRP June 13. 6 guys - open road - good food - lots of sights to see - priceless.

I'll be heading north off the BRP onto Skyline on the 13th after having just rode the BRP from Cherokee. I'll chuck the deuces up for ya when I pass!

I'm getting so freakin' excited. I spent many years of my youth camping and hiking all around the BRP from Asheville to Boone and now I'm finally going to ride it in it's entirety!

I head out Monday from Denver and have to make an obligatory stop in Florida to see family and friends before I head north away from the flats and into the great twisties of the East. I always hear about the Dragon and think to myself "that's every damn road in the mountains here" but I'm sure it's quite a different thought and feeling when rolling back the throttle and dodging the sport bikes in every turn

Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

There's no dodgin the sportbikes on the Dragon. The fast ones are on you so quick you have no way to react. And a first timer is hard pressed to be able to take in the scenery....just staying on the road is what you need to concentrate on. The grade of that road is like no other so watch it. Plus the trucks and campers coming at you are quite commonly way over the center line when making the curves...... Theres better roads. Cherahola Skyway is as good imho.

Now I have never been on the BRP itself...yet...but I have been told the best part is just out of Cherokee on up to Ashville, and then on up to the NC-VA line. I'm going to find out for myself come June 20th.

But you are in for a great ride across our great country. Be safe and ride hard!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
There's no dodgin the sportbikes on the Dragon. The fast ones are on you so quick you have no way to react. And a first timer is hard pressed to be able to take in the scenery....just staying on the road is what you need to concentrate on. The grade of that road is like no other so watch it. Plus the trucks and campers coming at you are quite commonly way over the center line when making the curves...... Theres better roads. Cherahola Skyway is as good imho.

Now I have never been on the BRP itself...yet...but I have been told the best part is just out of Cherokee on up to Ashville, and then on up to the NC-VA line. I'm going to find out for myself come June 20th.

But you are in for a great ride across our great country. Be safe and ride hard!
I'm doing Six-Gap in N. Ga, Cherohala, and the Dragon. I'm sure the dragon will be the least enjoyable of the three but it's still got to be done. I've learned from lots of riding in the mountains out here to hug the shoulder on inside turns and keep to the middle of the lane on outside turns. Trucks over that center line scare the crap out of me.

Have fun on your trip...I hear the north to south route is better on the parkway so you should be in for quite the treat.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido
...I'm sure the dragon will be the least enjoyable of the three but it's still got to be done... north to south route is better on the parkway...
LOL! I've been thru the Dragon several times, best advice I could give is avoid the area on weekends! Hit it early in the week, in the morning hours for the least traffic.

As for the BRP, I've been from one end to the other, and IMO the best riding is in NC.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM
STARMAN223
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree!

Quick Reply: Skyline Dr. & the Blue Ridge Parkway