Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Skyline Dr. & the Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

One word of caution. If you hit fog, there is just as much fog in the tunnels. The tunnels are not always strait. You can find yourself on the wall by the time your eyes adjust.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Deep6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done the BRP/Skyline drive end to end twice and skyline drive twice more. Three hours will get you the 100 miles on Skyline dr. with a few pull off's to admire the view Traffic will keep you to 35 but be alert for the dear and we've twice come on black bear right at the edge of the pavement and there ain't no shoulders. Stop for lunch in Waynesboro and you can still get another three hours down the Blue Ridge. while traffic will ease up on the Parkway, take your time and just enjoy the ride, 45 seems a lot faster with the forest coming right to the edge of the road and there aren't any straight aways. Just easy back and forth leaning on that counter steer for nearly 500 miles. Take 3 days and enjoy yourself. Here's a link to a map I did for our little trip a couple of years ago.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...927603,2.90863

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM
capitan1962
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deep6
I've done the BRP/Skyline drive end to end twice and skyline drive twice more. Three hours will get you the 100 miles on Skyline dr. with a few pull off's to admire the view Traffic will keep you to 35 but be alert for the dear and we've twice come on black bear right at the edge of the pavement and there ain't no shoulders. Stop for lunch in Waynesboro and you can still get another three hours down the Blue Ridge. while traffic will ease up on the Parkway, take your time and just enjoy the ride, 45 seems a lot faster with the forest coming right to the edge of the road and there aren't any straight aways. Just easy back and forth leaning on that counter steer for nearly 500 miles. Take 3 days and enjoy yourself. Here's a link to a map I did for our little trip a couple of years ago.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...927603,2.90863
Cool map, I am putting together a trip from hell right now that I plan to do as soon as I sell a piece of real estate I have. Mine starts in Texas, does the three sisters, through North East Texas, part of Arkansas, some of the same roads you have there and end up on the North Carolina coast where I am originally from. Will probably leave the bike there, fly back to work and then afterwards go back and return through Northern Georgia.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

We drove Skyline a couple falls ago. Took twice as long to get to Front Royal than what i had planned on. That is what a slow road with lots of curves and amazing viewpoints will do to your schedule.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bentryder
IMO the southern end of the Parkway is the best......Asheville is a good place to spend the nite and check out Biltmore House if ya haven't already.(takes about half a day)....
Agreed 100%

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
IMO the southern end of the Parkway is the best......Asheville is a good place to spend the nite and check out Biltmore House if ya haven't already.(takes about half a day)....
Yep, the Biltmore is cool ... and they get big money for the tour too!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

We went from Front Royal to Maggie Valley in just over two days. Wish we had taken a least one more.

Stopped in a little place about 15 miles North of Mabry Mill for the first night. Don't remember the name, but it was biker friendly and clean. Also had a pretty decent café. This is not 5 star or anything, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast at Mabry Mills is great.

Second night was in Ashville, and then to Maggie Valley.

Bill

Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

The Skyline and entire BRP is about two days of solid riding and Maggie Vally is 20 miles from the end (may as well ride the last 20 miles while you're there). So you're allowing the equivalent of one additional day for overlook stops, breaks, and Wheels Through Time which is about right IMO. Although you could stretch it out another day or more visiting the Biltmore, kicking around Blowing Rock, Floyd, etc but why not save that for another trip? Stop at the first visitor center and pick up one of the nice (free) BRP road maps. Lost of good advice already posted but I’ll toss out this to add to the confusion.

I know you said you don't camp but there's a nice little motorcycle campground at mile 177 just past Mabrey Mill off the Parkway on old Rt 58 and they have a cute little cabin that's furnished with linens so it's just like a motel. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/cabin.htm I highly recommend it, you'll need to call Will and reserve it though. It'd give you the opportunity to hang around and chat with other motorcycle riders sitting on the porch and around the fire in the evening. Nice place to eat breakfast near by at the Farmers Market or Mabrey Mill’s restaurant.
If you don’t want to stay there there’s a conventional mom and pop motel near by.
So if you stayed there for the first night you’d ride 282 miles, 105 on the Skyline and 177 on the BPR. The Skyline is kind of slow at 40 mpg but you actually make pretty good tome on the BRP. The speed limit is 45 but you can certainly go 50-55 and there’s not a stop sign or light the whole way (other than if they’re working on the road).

Day two; There will be more scenic overlooks from here to the end. Ride the Parkway down past Asheville up the mountain to Mt Pisgah which is about mile 410. It’s about 5,000’ so it’ll be comfortable in the summer, there’s a nice lodge to stay at with a beautiful view, which has a great restaurant as well. http://www.pisgahinn.com/dining_and_...facilities.htm
That’ll be a pleasant 233 mile day which would allow for overlook stops.

Day three; finish the remaining 75 miles of the Parkway (one of the nicer sections) and visit Wheels Through Time.

This is 12 minute video/slide show by “Whiskey Pete” is kinda cool, the first 5 minutes is mostly shots around Willville, then some of the surrounding area, the remaining pics are from riding down the Parkway.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would skip Skyline drive altogether. you're gonna see much more spectacular views on the Parkway. Spend the time you save riding some of the north/south routes through the Monongahela,Goerge Washington or Cherokee National forests. OR spend more time riding the area around Maggie Valley. Not really knocking Skyline Drive but there are just so many roads in the area that are far more enjoyable.

http://americaridesmaps.com/

This guy has done a fantastic job of mapping out great routes in the area.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Ok, thanks everyone. We have cemented some plans. Going to ride the BRP, not the skyline. Time is the major factor. Will lay up for a night in little Switzerland, the onto Maggie Valley. We will be staying at the Maggie Valley Creekside Lodge. I have heard from fellow bikers who go there every year, how clean and quiet it is, very peaceful where you can get a good nights sleep. 3 days there, one to ride the Cherahola Highway, also to visit the WTT museum and see if Steve's old panhead is still on display there.

I've been told its a great ride down into the northern mt's of Georgia. Plus there's some great eateries down that way. There and back would probably eat up a day but I have to get some more details on that. Not into Gatlinburg or anything up that way, just want to ride and enjoy the area.

Riding along the brp though, we should have plenty of time to stop and smell the roses wherever.

I appreciate all the info, so keep it coming! Maybe we'll meet up with some of you locals when we are down there.

Quick Reply: Skyline Dr. & the Blue Ridge Parkway