Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Billings and Sturgis areas this August

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I would stay in Billings for the night just for dinner options, lots of great restaurants to choose from. Good way to start off the trip? My wife insisted on eating at "Famous Daves BBQ" really great ribs!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Darkrider1695
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I would stay in Billings for the night just for dinner options, lots of great restaurants to choose from. Good way to start off the trip? My wife insisted on eating at "Famous Daves BBQ" really great ribs!
I'll be in Billings the first and last nights. Staying at Best Western Kelly suites and clocktower

Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM
billiards101
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are riding around Deadwood stop by Lewie's for a burger. Great burgers and biker friendly.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lewies-burgers-and-brews-lead

Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Did you decide to just ride over to Rapid City? I hope so.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy riding the plains of Wyoming and the Dakotas. I don't know why you'd want to throw the hassle of renting motorcycles twice plus, I assume, a car rental.

One of the images that sticks in my mind from my ride to the Black Hills is how the setting sun lit up the rolling hills west of Gillette. My daughter and I were riding I-90, having just come through a windstorm across Wyoming (redundant, I know). It was certainly no a ride that would make any magazine's top ten list. Nevertheless, the beauty was striking.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Darkrider1695
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Did you decide to just ride over to Rapid City? I hope so.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy riding the plains of Wyoming and the Dakotas. I don't know why you'd want to throw the hassle of renting motorcycles twice plus, I assume, a car rental.

One of the images that sticks in my mind from my ride to the Black Hills is how the setting sun lit up the rolling hills west of Gillette. My daughter and I were riding I-90, having just come through a windstorm across Wyoming (redundant, I know). It was certainly no a ride that would make any magazine's top ten list. Nevertheless, the beauty was striking.
We're driving by car over to Rapid City. There are no one way rentals from Billings to Rapid City

Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Darkrider1695
Advanced

This trip is going to be happening soon! Any other tips from anyone? Wondering how cold it's gonna be up top

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkrider1695
This trip is going to be happening soon! Wondering how cold it's gonna be up top
We were wearing chaps and leathers and it was still a little cool last July, that was with the heated seat and riding real slow because of the bicycle race that was going on. I'd be ready for cold temps, at least there are plenty of pull offs to stop and warm up and take pictures!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Rockarosa
Advanced

I rode the Beartooth in early July a few years ago. The temperature in Billings was around 90 degrees, on the Beartooth it was 38 degrees. When we come out of the Beartooth we went straight up through the Lamar River Valley and stayed at Cooke City. Man-- what a beautiful ride!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
mccpdx
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default beartooth

How early in the morning have people left Red Lodge to ride over Beartooth pass--Late august

Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I am surprised you could get a rental bike in Billings during this time, I accidentally wound up in Bozeman one year near the Sturgis rally and there were no rental bikes available. It is all great riding around there, enjoy.

Quick Reply: Billings and Sturgis areas this August