Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago at the beginning of April

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I would be very leary also. Lot of frost and salt on the roads. I seen a lot of people out the last couple days but you won't catch me out till a good rain.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
So I'm contemplating a trip from SoCal to Chicago at the end of the month. I'm not worried about the cold or comfort, that I can deal with. What has me concerned is the possible presence of snow and ice on the road. Is it likely I'll run into much of that in the first week of April, and how can I deal with it if I do hit any? Any input is appreciated.
Oh, I say it is a must do. Really, just go for it! Be sure to report back on how it goes for you. I for one will be watching for your RR. You'll be riding that bike in your sig pic, right?

Last edited by TwinCooled; 03-10-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Thank you, Dennis. I hope I won't have to take you up on that, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Ron, what adjustments did you have to make to your riding to get home the next day?

Slhanks, I'm planning to stay south and skirt the southern edge of the Rockies through New Mexico, then swing northeast when I hit the Texas panhandle.
I was at a 2 day conference, so my plans didn't change. It was in the 30s and I was dressed for it. Leather chaps, jeans, thermals, helmet liner. Melting is ahead of schedule, and you might be able to ride by the end of the month, just check in the forum a week before, and see what the locals say. Good luck.

I did get lots of salt on my bike that weekend, and then it got to cold to wash it for about 3 weeks, but my bike was OK.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

TwinCooled, of course I will, and I wouldn't have it any other way

Ron, thank you, that's very helpful. That's pretty much the gear I have now for riding in the cold, and I'm likely going to get some Gerbings. I'm also toying with the idea of lining my pants, boots and jacket with that insulating foil you get at camping stores. Wrapped myself in that overnight at Joshua Tree about a month ago and I was sweating, couldn't believe it.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

TwinCooled, of course I will, and I wouldn't have it any other way

Ron, thank you, that's very helpful. That's pretty much the gear I have now for riding in the cold, and I'm likely going to get some Gerbings. I'm also toying with the idea of lining my pants, boots and jacket with that insulating foil you get at camping stores. Wrapped myself in that overnight at Joshua Tree about a month ago and I was sweating, couldn't believe it.
I have some great thermal underwear, which I see Cabela's has discontinued for some ungodly reason. It is heavy with extensions that cover your hand up to the base of your fingers, and prevents air from coming up your arm. I like layering with high tech breathable fabrics. Try to find something like that. Foil sounds like a bad idea. Nothing worse than frozen sweat.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/9009...ews.htm?page=2

Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Murch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been one of the worst winters that we have seen in a long time, got a few more inches of snow this morning....yuch!

Now that I'm older and less resilient I wouldn't dare go out until it's much drier and warmer. That said when I was younger I would ride all year round (after a bald tire and a snow storm, I soon learned to drive during that time period ) . Under 20 degrees for a long haul was not so comfortable though.

By April it should be plenty warm enough and the snow rarely ever sticks around if it does happen to come down. But we normally do get a hell of a lot of rain in April, so bring a good rain suit. I assume you're not an old bird (school), so I say go for it, you only live once. You'll have bragging rights, and less doubts of future ventures.

Last edited by Murch; 03-12-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Thanks again for the recommendations, Ron. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this now.

Murch, thank you for the encouragement. I heard a saying once that bad decisions make good stories, so maybe I'll get one out of this little adventure.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

i say go for it, you don't know how many chances you'll get.
but only for it if you're prepared (the right clothing will make or break the trip) be prepared for cold, snow, sand, salt, rain, etc.
and have fun!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

57 south to 55 south to 40 west might get wet,but the weather will be warmer.Just watch out for tornado's.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Thanks Pug. I picked up a heated jacket liner and glove liners. I'm also going to look for a balaclava and stock up on some of those insoles that generate heat for five or six hours before you toss 'em. I reckon if worst comes to worst, I can always pull over and cuddle with my exhaust for a few minutes before continuing on.

Mike, I'd almost forgotten we're just getting into tornado season. Believe it or not, I went camping during a twister several years back when I still lived in Texas. I never saw the funnel, but I'm thinking that's a good thing. Guess I'd better play around with my playlists, eh?

Quick Reply: Chicago at the beginning of April