Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago at the beginning of April

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Chicago at the beginning of April

So I'm contemplating a trip from SoCal to Chicago at the end of the month. I'm not worried about the cold or comfort, that I can deal with. What has me concerned is the possible presence of snow and ice on the road. Is it likely I'll run into much of that in the first week of April, and how can I deal with it if I do hit any? Any input is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you riding from the coast or hauling it to Chicago? I think if riding you have will have to deal with all kinds of weather enroute not just Chicago. Plan on either sun, rain ,snow , and potholes, this is the mid-west, things can change hourly. Just wait out storms or ride around them, easier said than done in the spring as it takes a while for snow and ice to melt. Watch out for sand , lots of it, on the roads in towns.
WUZFUZ

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking a chance

you really are taking a big chance. two years ago it was warm by april 1st. Last year snow on the ground. We can get snow through April. Also, we have had lots of snow that might not disappear. You say you are ready for the cold. Really. Wind chill is real. On a bike, in 45 degrees you can experience 10 degrees with the wind chill. And salt and sand can kill your bike
Save it for summer

Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Wuzfuz, riding. I lived in Texas for seven and a half years, I'm used to the weather changes. Most rain I can handle, but I suppose I'll be right in the middle of tornado season in some of the areas I ride through. Waiting out the storms may be the best option.

Riskmanager, I've ridden in twenty degrees before, before taking wind chill into account. I know what it feels like. I've got good insulation, and I'm considering ordering some Gerbings to compensate further for the cold. The potentially severely reduced traction on some of the roads is my biggest problem that I see. Is black ice common in Chicago in April?

And the reason I'm taking this trip now is I have to be in Phoenix by the end of April for school, and once I start that, I'll have very few chances to visit my family or take any sort of long trips for a while.

Thank you both for the advice, I appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

This was April 19, 2011 in Green Bay. Could look like this or be 80. Think about it.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

We have had many winters in the recent past that would be fine for this trip. This one doesn't look like one of them. It is very nice today, tomorrow is supposed to be better, but Wednesday is supposed to be low 20's and maybe more snow.

The ten day forecast as of now doesn't have much good news in sight. I suppose it would be fine if you are ok with being stuck somewhere in a motel for a week or two if another storm moves in.

Best of luck. If you get anywhere near central IL and have any problems, I'll do what I can to help you.

Dennis

Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

This was April 6, 2013 in Appleton, WI. I was at a conference, parked in the Hotel courtyard. The snow didn't stick on the roads and I was able to make the 100 mile trip home, the next day.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You're going to have to cross the Rocky Mountains somewhere, I'd be worried about the weather there. I've seen it snowing on I-70 west of Denver in June.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Thank you, Dennis. I hope I won't have to take you up on that, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Ron, what adjustments did you have to make to your riding to get home the next day?

Slhanks, I'm planning to stay south and skirt the southern edge of the Rockies through New Mexico, then swing northeast when I hit the Texas panhandle.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do it this year. Granted I am 90 miles north of Chicago but i do not see the salt, sand snow being off the roads till mid April at the earliest. If earlier than that I would bet there will be some flooding issues. Need a few good rains to wash all the salt away. Not to mention they won't have the pot holes filled and more to come. Have some of the deepest frost line in a long time. Just my opinion though

Quick Reply: Chicago at the beginning of April