Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Travel Companion for Western Trip from NC

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Companion for Western Trip from NC

I'm a retired 60 year old living in western NC. I've RVed out west numerous times with my wife and kids but I never had my bike. A BIG bucket list item of mine is to ride my bike from NC to the western states and many of it's National Parks. Since retiring I purchased a Bunkhouse motorcycle camper I pull with my RGU. My longest trip so far was NC to Big Bend NP and the Texas Hill Country which I did solo a couple of years ago. It was a terrific trip.

However on this trip I'm thinking it would be nice to have a traveling companion. Someone with similar interest and an easy going personality would be good to have as company and to share the experience. It would also provide extra security for me and maybe more importantly make my wife more comfortable with the idea.

Most of my buds don't ride or are still working so I'm looking for a partner. I don't have a specific route or date although I plan to ride north from Arizona thru the Utah NPs to Yellowstone. I'm thinking late May or early June would be good but I'm flexible if later is better for someone.

If you have an interest in a trip like this and have the time (3 weeks or so) PM me. I've never done this but I'm sure we can find a way to meet and get to know each other well enough to see if we would enjoy each others company. A little about me, I like a couple of cold beers at the end of the day, no longer smoke but don't mind others, I enjoy riding but I don't ride aggressively. Married with three daughters and five grandkids. My first Harley was a 2008 RG which I put 68K on in four years. I currently have a 2013 RGU.

Attached Thumbnails Travel Companion for Western Trip from NC-bike-camper_fotor.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM
STARMAN223
Advanced

Sounds awesome! Im looking for people to ride to Sturgis this year from Va., N.C. area. nothing yet. same deal, wife doesn't want me going alone.
good luck and it sounds like a fantastic ride. just thinking about it makes me wanna say yeah, lets do it.
this kind of ride is on my bucket list also. damn, I got thoughts running in my head now!!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like my bucket list. Just retired in Dec. 60 yrs old, don't smoke but like my evening tody. Might just be giving ya a holler.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Sounds good guys; I'd like to hear from you. It would be nice to have a few companions. I've been wanting to do this for several years but haven't made it happen for whatever reason. Finally decided that if I really want to do it I better go now while I'm healthy and able. You never know what tomorrow may bring!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 AM
hdfxdc17
Novice
Cool Riding solo.Im down if you dont mind.

mhud, starman

For personal reason I'm heading out to Dallas Fortworth on May 24th and need to be there by May 27th at 9pm. Im still deciding if I need to leave on May 23rd to be an enjoyable ride but if not Ill have to jet. You say you went to Texas (Big Ben). How long was that and what was your route from North Carolina? Any advice is greatly appreciated? When I get back in town on June 4th in Dallas/Fort worth my route is open heading back home to Maryland. My 3 week adventure will end on June 16th. To me there no shame in my game , I just love to ride with sensible riders ,respect of the road and of course the MotorZ. Anybody with two wheels with an attitude of screw it ...lets ride...I'm down. I like to say, I flow like water at this stage in my life. Easy going smooth ridin..blah.blah..blah...I have son who's 15 who keeps me grounded and of course the man above. To me safety is important so riding 3 to 4 is good and manageable. I hope to find someone heading down west in may.

Besides SEE, Be SEEN...

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

A little too late, you could have rode with us last summer when I retired. Once my son starts school I'll be heading out on a lot more of these!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mhud
Sounds good guys; I'd like to hear from you. It would be nice to have a few companions. I've been wanting to do this for several years but haven't made it happen for whatever reason. Finally decided that if I really want to do it I better go now while I'm healthy and able. You never know what tomorrow may bring!
How true....

Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM
filtrod
Advanced
Default Trop out west

Might be interested in riding out west. As we get closer or you get your trip planned out let me know.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

June in Yellowstone is still early spring. It snows and rains. Lots of bugs, mud,ice in elevations. Sounds like a great trip.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
mhud
Road Captain
Default Trip Update

Thinking about and planning this trip has been good therapy for me during this long cold winter. As of now we are planning to leave around June 6. Another Mike from Michigan, who is a member of a motor camping forum I belong too is meeting me in Knoxville. We plan to average about 450 miles daily on I-40 to Amorillo. From there northwest to Durango, CO; spend about three nights there doing the Million Dollar Hwy to Silverton and surrounding area and a day at Mesa Verde, NP.

Then on to Moab, UT. Spend 2 or 3 nights. Tour Arches NP, Canyon Lands NP and surrounding area.

Moab to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Spend 3-4 nights hiking the canyon and touring Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP.

From Az. north thru UT to Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. This is the risky part of the trip for weather. It will be late June but still a little early for this area. I was in Montana a few years ago and woke up the morning of July 4th to 2" of snow. So we may be here a couple of nights or 5-6 depending on weather.

From Montana we plan to head to South Dakota's Black Hills. Thinking about staying at Custer SP. Has anyone stayed there before?

I've got a timeline with possible routes and overnight locations planned out but only as a guide. We'll be flexible based on fun, weather and places we see or hear about along the way. All together around 4 weeks. Can't wait wish it was tomorrow.

If anyone has any other must see sights or places in these areas please share them. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Travel Companion for Western Trip from NC-rgu-and-bunk.jpg  

Last edited by mhud; 03-28-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Travel Companion for Western Trip from NC