Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 AM
WellHungWillie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bahahahaha!!! Just kidding.......

it will be my first time to sturgis....on the way home..( if were still alive..) were taking route #2 home through upper Michigan and fallow the coastline home to detroit area...

thanks for all the great tips....i'm learning much....

willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Some good ideas here.
Google "innovative storage solutions" They have some great luggage ideas. I've got their saddle bag liners and wouldn't be without them
I try to get things to do double duty. If the weather is cold I'll pull a pair of sweat pants over my jeans and raingear over that. Cuts the wind and keeps me warm.
A sweat shirt under my lined jacket keep me warm on chilly days.
Socks, gaunch and tshirt get worn for two days. So what. It's only me in them and I shower every day.
If I'm camping the sleeping bag stuff sac is my pillow.
I also carry a SPOT personal locator in case I'm out of cell range and need help or I want to let the OL know I'm ok.
Make a list and go over it after the trip. If you didn't use an item ask if you really needed it.

Good post

Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM
wumhenry
Advanced
Question what about bike theft?

Haven't gone on an overnight trip yet by cycle, but I will 2 days from now.

What about anti-theft devices when you park for the night at a motel? I have factory security on my 2014 softail; is that and the fork-lock good enough, or should I take something else to deter thieves?

Also, should I bring my indoor/outdoor bike cover?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 PM
wumhenry
Advanced
Question napping

What do you do when you need a short nap in the middle of day while touring?

Based on personal experience, I'm pretty sure this will be an issue for me, no matter how well-rested I may be at the start of the day.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wumhenry
What do you do when you need a short nap in the middle of day while touring?

Based on personal experience, I'm pretty sure this will be an issue for me, no matter how well-rested I may be at the start of the day.
I have in the past stoped at a spot where my wife could walk around and then managed to find a shady spot and laid on the ground for a nap. 10-15 minute nap makes a difference. Remember one time at a tourist welcome center while she was inside I laid next to a bench under a tree and was out cold, work up and there was an older man just stretching out the bench said he was going to nap while his wife was inside yapping.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 07
I have in the past stoped at a spot where my wife could walk around and then managed to find a shady spot and laid on the ground for a nap. 10-15 minute nap makes a difference. Remember one time at a tourist welcome center while she was inside I laid next to a bench under a tree and was out cold, work up and there was an older man just stretching out the bench said he was going to nap while his wife was inside yapping.

I've done pretty much the same thing. Shady spot in the rest area is your friend, even if you don't nap you can at least rest a bit.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by wumhenry
Haven't gone on an overnight trip yet by cycle, but I will 2 days from now.

What about anti-theft devices when you park for the night at a motel? I have factory security on my 2014 softail; is that and the fork-lock good enough, or should I take something else to deter thieves?

Also, should I bring my indoor/outdoor bike cover?
There is a few posts on this running around here. You'll get quite a few different answers from people.
All I used before was the factory fork locks on my wife's Wide Glide and my Street Bob. I have since bought 2 steal cable locks and use those also. I lock all the bikes (usually 3) together with those. If you are in decent areas you will usually be okay.

I've never brought a cover along but some people do. There is a thread here somewhere about security for overnight stays. Try not to sweat it, lots of people leave their bikes out over night with no problems. If you worry too much you won't get any rest at night, which will make for a long day.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 07-30-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I have 2 disk locks that I put on the 2 front rotors.

At 70 years old I have never had the need to nap during a trip. At the most I usually get 5 to 6 hours of sleep at night.
I just got back from the Canadian National HOG rally in Kingston, Ont. I do anywhere from 400 to 600 mile legs on my trips. I can only take 7 days vacation at a time so I need to get to my destination ASAP. That's why I rely on a GPS so I don't loose valuable time getting "lost".
From Glen Ellyn, Il to Hamilton, Ont (first leg) 504 miles. Return trip (first leg) Kingston, Ont. to Battle Creek,MI. 507 miles. Normal riding distance.

Some day when I retire, I will be able to just take my time and just mosey along checking the scenery....and maybe take a nap....if I need to.

I also want to do an Iron Butt "Butt Burner 1000" some day - maybe next year.

Kidney belt(back brace) works miracles on long distance rides....and don't forget the ear plugs.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 PM
wrld2r
Novice

Start early and ride late. Use Kayak to sleep and Yelp to eat. Have Toby's "I should have been a Cowboy" on your playlist.

Last edited by wrld2r; 08-15-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

This is a great thread! Thanks to all who contribute!

I'm pondering my first multi-day ride and had a lot of questions about planning it. This thread answered almost all of them. Now I'm even more excited to do this ride which will be about 1100 miles on all secondary roads. I'm thinking it'll take 4 days.

Quick Reply: Touring Tips & Tricks