Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
Visa/Master card/American Express...never leave home without it
Amex and cash.

Visa and MasterCard will shut your card down after you get gas 3 or 4 times down an interstate. It trips their fraud warning. You can alternate the cards, but on a long continuous run, they will still trip and shut down. Even when I call them and give them the route and date and they provide me a code, their computer still trips and turns the card off.

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Forgive me if this has already been done, but I did not find it here.
I was thinking we could list tips for touring. A guide for the newbies and hopefully find something new for the veterans.
** Keep the weight low. Heavy things (tools) in saddle bags, lighter in tour packs and t-bags.
** Rain gear and sun-block in easy reach.
** If you have a rider, stop when you feel them fidgeting and give them a break.
** If you don't have a fairing with pockets, a tank bag is great.
** Don't ride anywhere near a truck for any length of time. Pass them or drop back.
** Follow far enough back you can see and react to anything kicked up on the highway or from a car or truck.
** 2 second gap between you and the car ahead of you. Double it as soon as the first raindrop falls.
** Modular helmet.
** Earplugs.
** Ride through boredom. Stop as soon as you are tired or sleepy.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=Jonesee;12496311]Amex and cash.

Visa and MasterCard will shut your card down after you get gas 3 or 4 times down an interstate. It trips their fraud warning. You can alternate the cards, but on a long continuous run, they will still trip and shut down. Even when I call them and give them the route and date and they provide me a code, their computer still trips and turns the card off.[/QUOTE

Never has that problem with my VISA card.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In very hot weather soak your tee shirt then cover with a light jacket or zipped up vented jacket. Ride half as far and sightsee twice as much. Never, ever leave home without an electric vest or liner. Plan your next days route around the campfire or bar the night before. Unless going to Sturgis don't make reservations. Let the weather and whim guide you. Buy the best raingear you can. Carry an extra face shield.

The most important thing is, overplanning leads to a road trip, let serendipity take you on an adventure.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe it is just a Citibank thing.

Happens to me every time. I finally gave up using it.
4+ stops in 8 hours with just a tank full = shut off card.

I've spoken with their fraud department several times. They explained nominal purchases in a short amount of time spread out over a large area (couple of states) will trip their fraud warning system. (there is some logic to it) Citibank is the worst. I've had their card since 1984 and don't carry a balance. You would think they would give me the benefit of the doubt. I guess not. As a result, I don't use their card anymore.

I've even tried to call the fraud dept. in advance, they note the date and the highways, then they give me a special code. It didn't work... I finally realized Amex doesn't have that issue and use it exclusively unless the station doesn't take Amex.

It has been discussed on the IBA forum and MTF forum before.

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-26-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee

I've spoken with their fraud department several times. They explained nominal purchases in a short amount of time spread out over a large area (couple of states) will trip their fraud warning system. (there is some logic to it) Citibank is the worst. I've had their card since 1984 and don't carry a balance. You would think they would give me the benefit of the doubt. I guess not. As a result, I don't use their card anymore.

I've even tried to call the fraud dept. in advance, they note the date and the highways, then they give me a special code. It didn't work... I finally realized Amex doesn't have that issue and use it exclusively unless the station doesn't take Amex.

My card is Chase and I called them before leaving on what would be a 25 day 7600 mile trip and never once had any shutdown issue.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
I have to disagree on this one at time. There have been trips that the objective was the destination, the ride was the mean to get to the objective. It still doesn't change any of the prep and planning work.

I half agree with both.

On a long ride, pick out the stretches that don't interest you much. Make those your long mileage days. Then you can take your time at stop offs along the way.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Any thing that gets wet or rained on, gloves,tent,rain gear,clothes, when you put them away keep it all in the same saddle bag until you get to dry them out so the other bags don't get messed up.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,243 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Pack your fresh clothes in large ziplock bags. Squeeze the air out before closing. You can carry a lot more, and your stuff stays dry and fresh.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee

I think this really depends on your issuing bank. I have a card from a large credit union. Before every trip I call and tell them I'm taking a trip, never had the card shut off. I have had them call my cell and leave a message to call them back by end of business or the card will be shut off. They are just verifying that I'm the making the charges before shutting off the card.

Quick Reply: Touring Tips & Tricks