Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your renting a helmet a do rag is recommended as you never know who had that bucket on.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Sqr
If your renting a helmet a do rag is recommended as you never know who had that bucket on.
Good tip.

I do that even with my own helmet. It helps keep some of the sweat and dirt off the lining and then when I remove the helmet, my hair (what little I have) isn't sticking up all over the place.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeBel
This is a great thread! Thanks to all who contribute!

I'm pondering my first multi-day ride and had a lot of questions about planning it. This thread answered almost all of them. Now I'm even more excited to do this ride which will be about 1100 miles on all secondary roads. I'm thinking it'll take 4 days.
Good luck on your trip.
There are tons of tips for multi day trips. One of the ones I like the best is when staying at a motel in a large city, find one that is on the opposite side of the city your staying in. That way in the morning you don't have to fight rush hour traffic when you continue your journey.

Try searching for travel tips or better yet start your own thread asking for travel tips - I'll guarantee you'll get hundreds - some good, some bad and most funny as hell.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep an extra credit card somewhere besides your wallet. Don't ask me how I know about losing a wallet in the Redwoods.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
Keep an extra credit card somewhere besides your wallet. Don't ask me how I know about losing a wallet in the Redwoods.
Excellent idea. I learned that 2 years ago. Right in the middle of my vacation someone hacked my CC and charged .10 cents to it. The CC company knew that was bogus and voided my CC. Here I am on vacation and no CC, luckily a "very good" friend of mine let me use his extra CC, plus I had some cash on me.

I carry at least 2 CC's now plus my Mobil SpeedPass wand.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:22 AM
jaxbusa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
When planning a long trip, don't think of it as a 2,000 mile ride, think of it as five 400 mile rides(or however you want to break it up) and plan each day separately.
I bring a gallon jug of water and sports drink powder mix. I started doing this after I thought about how much money was spent on drinks at gas stations. 2 dollars here, 3 there. On a hot day you could spend fifteen dollars or more. That adds up on a long trip, especially riding two up.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

I have 2 thermos waterbottles attached to my sidebars. Fill them with water and ice before I leave. Also carry 2-2 litre bottles of water frozen and they seem to melt just right giving us cold water all day.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM
BCBagger
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travel insurance, medical insurance

Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
Visa/Master card/American Express...never leave home without it
I have never pulled over in the middle of nowhere....rang a door bell and asked if I could buy two gallons of gas from a farm house and have them accept visa, MC or Am Ex.
Although, I have gotten a beer and a sandwhich...AND the gas no charge (West Virginia).
Better to have a little cash....just in case.
I carry a couple spares....shifter link, saddlebag fasteners, zip ties. I still have a couple windshield fasteners from when I had an Electra Glide..OH....and an extra shift lever and a cell phone charger...extra key to unlock your gas cap (glides). Know your secret code for ignition..., I take plastic walmart bags to wear inside my boots for when it rains (boots get wet, feet dry)...man, this trips sucks already! LOL

Chuck

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I keep 15 to 20 bucks stashed in one of my windshield bags, not in the big part of it but towards the front of it there is a thin slot between the plastic and leather. Better than trying to dig into pockets incase you hit a toll road or something you need cash for. Yes, I do have EZ pass but have been to states that don't take it. Not a ton of money so if it disappears, no big deal

Quick Reply: Touring Tips & Tricks