Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

We plan on a few things. Where we're going, time we'll leave, where we'll meet & 'Maybe' when we're coming home. All that other stuff just gives us to many headaches. We've been doing this with the same guys for over 30+ years.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

If staying at a motel, get a motel at the leaving end of the town.
Then you don't fight the crowd who are trying to get into town as you are leaving.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Maybe it is just a Citibank thing.

Happens to me every time. I finally gave up using it.
4+ stops in 8 hours with just a tank full = shut off card.

I've spoken with their fraud department several times. They explained nominal purchases in a short amount of time spread out over a large area (couple of states) will trip their fraud warning system. (there is some logic to it) Citibank is the worst. I've had their card since 1984 and don't carry a balance. You would think they would give me the benefit of the doubt. I guess not. As a result, I don't use their card anymore.

I've even tried to call the fraud dept. in advance, they note the date and the highways, then they give me a special code. It didn't work... I finally realized Amex doesn't have that issue and use it exclusively unless the station doesn't take Amex.

It has been discussed on the IBA forum and MTF forum before.
Yup. Happened to me. I was in the middle of death valley at the only gas station and my citi card would not work. Had no cell service to call either. Thank god I had some cash on me. Made it to the next town were I called and had it cut back on.

Originally Posted by slhanks4
When planning a long trip, don't think of it as a 2,000 mile ride, think of it as five 400 mile rides(or however you want to break it up) and plan each day separately.
This

Originally Posted by gusotto
Then you don't fight the crowd who are trying to get into town as you are leaving.
That's a great idea

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by gusotto
Forgot to mention that one! It goes with the avoiding Cities during rush hour perfectly.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

I've only had the card shut off thing happen to me once. Years ago with Bank of America. After that I called before hand and it never became a problem again. Maybe call before a trip then during...?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

We like to head out, then after about an hour or so we stop for breakfast. Don't think it matters but to us it feels like we get more miles done that way.
Usually lunch is something fast (McD's or Subway, etc.), then dinner is a real meal.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Amex and cash.

Visa and MasterCard will shut your card down after you get gas 3 or 4 times down an interstate. It trips their fraud warning. You can alternate the cards, but on a long continuous run, they will still trip and shut down. Even when I call them and give them the route and date and they provide me a code, their computer still trips and turns the card off.
Hasn't happened to me in the last several years. I typically only use one card, my Harley Davidson Visa for the last couple of years. I have used other Visa/MasterCards in the past with no problem. The only time it ever happened was over 10 years ago with a Texaco card in Las Vegas, NM. I called the number on the back and told them I was on a long motorcycle trip and might use it twice a day. No problems after the call.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Pack your fresh clothes in large ziplock bags. Squeeze the air out before closing. You can carry a lot more, and your stuff stays dry and fresh.
Great tip! I have done this before and it's great. I even have went a step further and put a days worth in each bag(you will need bigger bags). That way you just grab 1 bag and go.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Some stores sell trial size or travel size toiletries. These work great also because of their smaller sizes. Only need 1 or 2 of each to make it through the trip. You can also keep the containers and just refill them for your next trip. Do yourself a favor and keep shampoo and the like in plastic baggies. That way if they leak they don't get all over everything else.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

** Keep the weight low. Heavy things (tools) in saddle bags, lighter in tour packs and t-bags.
** Rain gear and sun-block in easy reach.
** If you have a rider, stop when you feel them fidgeting and give them a break.
** If you don't have a fairing with pockets, a tank bag is great.
** Don't ride anywhere near a truck for any length of time. Pass them or drop back.
** Follow far enough back you can see and react to anything kicked up on the highway or from a car or truck.
** 2 second gap between you and the car ahead of you. Double it as soon as the first raindrop falls.
** Modular helmet.
** Earplugs.
** Ride through boredom. Stop as soon as you are tired or sleepy.
More great tips!

Put the sunscreen on at every stop. When you are burnt it is too late. Take off jackets and pull up long sleeves when you apply it. You will get burned where you don't expect it.

Quick Reply: Touring Tips & Tricks