Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride around Lake Superior

Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 266 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Ride around Lake Superior

Has anyone ride around Lake Superior? If so, how are the roads, are there gas stops, hotels, restaurants along the route? Any suggestions? Places to see, things to do? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Yep!
We did the Lake Superior tour on a counter-clock wise direction in early June last year. I think if I do it again, I'll wait a little later in the season as we had some cool/cold weather and rain as we re-entered the U.S. and headed toward Duluth, MN.
Be sure you have your passport(s), D/L and proof of insurance.
No weapons or other contraband items.
Most businesses accept major credit cards but you may want to do a cash exchange at the border (both in and out) so you have enough pocket money just in case you need cash.

Gasoline is/was much more expensive in Canada so fill up before you cross the border and it appeared the farther away from the border(s) the higher the gas prices.
Food prices are much higher also, but is seems that motel rates aren't much more that they are here.
If memory serves me correctly, we spent the first night in Wawa, and the second night in Nipigon.
We were basically sight-seeing but fishing is big up there so you may want to check on that if you're a fisherman.
When you're in Sault Ste. Marie, Canada, you may want to visit the boat "locks" and watch the big ships traverse from one lake to another.

Do your traveling in daylight hours.
Some areas have a high population of moose (as well as whitetail) and the like to move in low light, and especially from trees or bluffs close to the road.
We only encountered one but we only drove during the day.

Don't know what your plans are for the return trip, but we spent one night in Duluth, MN, one night in Copper Harbor, MI, and the final night in Newberry, MI.
Most folks get a thrill out of crossing the "Mighty Mac", which connects the lower and upper parts of Michigan, which is close to Mackinaw City (on the south side of the bridge), St. Ignace (on the north side of the bridge) and of course, Mackinac Island (in the Straits east of the bridge).
It can get windy crossing the bridge, so if possible use the paved lane instead of the steel grid lane.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain

2AMGuy, Thanks for the insight. So, did you circle the lake in two days? You must have traveled 600+ each day. I like to ride about 400 -500 miles per day, so a 3 day trip around should work fine??

Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There is an IronButt ride listed for Lk Superior. People tell me it can't be done in a day. I don't believe it though.

Are you talking about a one day ride RW?

oops, just saw you're planning 3 days. Yea, no problem.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Click here, http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info/ then send for the map and tour booklet. Everything you need or want to know. I'll be doing it in late summer, with some northern Ontario thrown in.

I was going to do this ride a few years ago, the third week in September. Then just before I left I headed to the Smokey's instead. Well a cold front moved in and it was 32 degrees on the Cherohala Skyway. No idea what it was on the north shore of Superior, just glad I missed it.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
beeek
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stretch between Thunder Bay and Marathon was my favorite. Don't take your gas stops for granted like you may be used to between Marathon/White River/Wawa/Superior Provincial Park... Nothing much but road and scenery between these places when I barely made it

Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain

Thanks Buzzard II I found the site you mentioned earlier today - I sent away for the map.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been doing that ride every year lately. It's a good one to do when it's hot and muggy in the states. The lake is a built in air conditioner. I avoid the south shore line unless i am going to copper harbor. If your not caring a tent and bag I would pre-book motels on the canadian side. Mighty Mac is really cool, stop at the photo pullout and absorb what you are about to ride across.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

This tour is definitely on my list. Not sure if it will be this year but it will happen.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
14 FLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Click here, http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info/ then send for the map and tour booklet. Everything you need or want to know. I'll be doing it in late summer, with some northern Ontario thrown in.
Awesome link, thanks

Im doing this trip with a few friends Aug 20-24

1st time for me, my neighbor has done it 2-3 times, so he will be my guide...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride around Lake Superior