Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I was at Mt. Evans on the last day of July and on the Million Dollar highway (southern Co) the first of August. It was below 40 degrees for both of those rides, but I didn't have snow or ice.

North, south, east or west doesn't mean much above 10,000 ft. in April in North America.

Dennis

Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

It will be cold and snow in the mountains

Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I rode Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park in late June of last year. It was 36° one day and 65° the next. Rocky Mountain weather can be unpredictable.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Here we are on April 8th and as I look out my window at Pikes Peak there are several feet of snow on top of it. There are a lot of people riding right now...but not many are thinking of traveling over any mountain passes (anything over 9,000' right now is packed with snow). There are still a lot of great places to ride - mostly along the Front Range between Wyoming and New Mexico. Places like Boulder, Manitou, Woodland Park, Canon City, Salida...as long as you stay below 9,000' you'll be okay. We are expecting snow again towards the end of this week...but it's the kind that comes and goes in an hour. Hell, its 70 here today but it was a genuine blizzard yesterday. Just a typical spring day in Colorado.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a second home (one day will be my only!) in NW colo and planning to ride up there from Houston on the 23rd of this month. I plan to keep that schedule open so im not locked down in case of weather. I also plan to keep different routes in mind, those rocky mountain passes are tricky in good weather and im sure the roads must be a mess right now after all that snow. So these replies from riders in colo are the best advice. The weather changes so quick....ride safe!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

How is it around late May/early June?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I only rode one time up from southeast Texas to NW colo but have made the trip over 20 times within the last two years in my car. The end of May is start of the big tourist season in my opinion it really gets going then (traffic /crowd wise). River rafting, biking and hiking seem to be getting into full swing by then. Weather for me at that time has never been a problem except for the big thunderstorms coming off the mountains in the afternoon along I-25. Big construction project on I-70 around one of the tunnels may be a problem.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you keep your runs to the south, you'll be near Pagosa Springs. Due to the valley the town is in and the mountains around it, that area gets more snow than any other area in Colorado.

It is absolutely beautiful later on--July and August are my favorite times.

Manitou Springs is a nice place to visit, it isn't too far from Colorado Springs.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 PM
billiards101
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if anyone has passed through Colorado on I-70 recently?

Planning a trip from Sioux Falls to Vegas and will be riding through Colorado on May 20. Kind of second guessing my I-70 route with all the weather lately.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Paulwatt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April is one of the worst months for the front range. Over on the western slope April is great riding. You can expect rain by very rarely do we get snow. Lots of great riding over on this side, Red Mountain pass, From Durango to Montrose is great, Grand Junction to Moab UT. Tons of riding there. You choose. But like most have said, be prepared for cold and snow. Wait a month, will be lots better.

Quick Reply: Colorado riding