Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anybody from or familiar with Milwaukee?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anybody from or familiar with Milwaukee?

Headed out on an epic ride through the northwest US this summer, and finishing up some ride planning. We want to visit the HD Museum, so were going to catch a Brewers game, then the museum the next morning. Anybody have ideas on where I should stay? Have considered staying close to the stadium so we can park the bikes and use public transit or a cab to keep from having to park and fight game traffic. But I know downtown hotels are not always the safest place to park our bikes.

Anybody know this area and have ideas of where we can stay? We'll be coming in from the west and heading south toward Chicago when we leave.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts

When we were in Milwaukee for the 110th last year, the roads were pretty good for traffic. I did hit Chicago rush hour which sucked, but live n learn.

We stayed a litte ways out from the downtown area. But if you go, the route was pretty simple to the museum.

We're talking about going again this summer to check out the rivet we bought.

We're staying at the Iron Horse Hotel, which is a stones throw from the museum. Motorcycle parking, and basically a motorcycle boutique hotel. Just a suggestion. Its a little pricy though, but the outside pub / patio was fantastic. Good beer, good views and good service.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:09 PM
little red around the neck area's Avatar
little red around the neck area
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey, Iron Horse is the best. It is pricy but a first class place and you can walk to the museum. Miller Park has special parking for bikes but you still have to deal with traffic in and out. You'll love the Iron Horse.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

To many ways to get to the Museum without worrying about traffic. To go there and not take you ride is a sin. The Iron Horse in right by it but pricey. No motel is a problem with your Bike just not an issue.
Give me a yell when the time gets near if I am in town maybe able to show you a round a bit.
Milwaukee is not that big a City. Affordable places to stay are near the Airport and still not that far from Museum. Area around 13th and college ave

Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM
hutch4
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I second the plan to stay at The Iron Horse. They have a bike night on Thursday night and museum also has a bike night on Thursday. We have went to a Cubs-Brewers game twice and stayed at the Iron Horse. You can't beat it. There were at least two hundred bikes at the museum for bike night. There were a lot of good people there. The Iron Horse features a different bike each week. There's also a small Mexican resturant just south of the Iron Horse. Real authentic food and good marguerites. Hutch

Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

This sounds like a job for Nevada72. PM him

Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM
bmes1982
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems with your bike. In all the times I've been in and around Milwaukee nobody ever messes with a bike. I think there are so many in the city that people just know that you don't screw with somebodies bike because you don't know who might be around the corner watching you.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
This sounds like a job for Nevada72. PM him
My first thought exactly

Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't say how you were headed to Milwaukee direction wise. Might I suggest that on your epic trip that you work your way over to the Blue Ridge Parkway and travel at least the southern portion sa y up to Asheville, NC then northward to skirt the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Stay close to the shoreline as there is some great riding along that routeto the north, cross over the Mackinac Bridge, travel on north to the southern shore of Lake Superior to Picture Rocks. Then maybe back down the western shore of Lake Michigan. I think that you would really enjoy that route. Careful though, we were there on the 4th of July 2 years ago and it was raining and 41 degrees. on Superior. From Milwaukee, go around Chicago, go way around Chicago. Did you hear me, go WAY, WAY around Chicago. If you don't, watch out for the toll boothes. I missed every one of them and it cost me a fortune later. If you travel this route, you will have seen 3 of the 5 lakes and have had an eventful ride across the bridge. Head northwest from there.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I was in process of typing this response before I read the other responses. But I'll repeat anyway. Nevada72 is your best source.

Quick Reply: Anybody from or familiar with Milwaukee?