Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cali to North carolina

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 AM
raptorroy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cali to North carolina

So the 13th I will be embarking on a trip from San Diego, to North Carolina. I've got most everything I need (I think) and I will be updating this as I make the trip. I'm taking the 20 all the way across, anyone been across it recently or live along the way that has any words of wisdom for me?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

good luck to ya and have a safe trip. Enjoy the ride..thats what its about.
kroozeabout.
ps looking forward to the updates!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

20 sucks, very boring but can make really good time. Set cruise on 78 and don't look back. If you have problems near Louisiana ( I can hear I-20 from my house ) PM me. FT

Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM
raptorroy
Advanced

Thanks Fathertime, looking like its going to rain on me from Dallas to Atlanta. This should be fun

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
raptorroy
Advanced

So updating this like I wanted to. Left a lot later then I had planned today. I wanted to leave at 6 but ended up being 9 thanks to a screaming hangover.

Left San Diego rode a little east to Jacumba, got a splash of gas and layered down. It was cold on top the mountain but riding into the desert was gonna be hotter. I also tried something new; a friend of mine suggested latex gloves under my thin riding gloves because I hate using the thick gauntlet style gloves I have. It was amazing. Got all the way to Yuma before I took off the latex gloves because my hands were sweating.

Left Yuma after riding through a crazy a$$ bug storm to gila bend. I grabbed a splash of gas because I'm still trying to judge what I'll get to a tank. When I stopped in gila bend I got 40mpg, that was at 80mph with a roll bag on the handle bars, a backpack on my fender and two throw over sattlebags full of stuff.

Got through Tucson, down to Benson and stopped for gas. Realized I had some type of bug in my right jacket arm because it bit me twice. No swelling and I'm not allergic to anything so I'm not worried about it.

So far so good. The sena is holding up, aside from hitting every bug in the state of Arizona I think I'm making decent time.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM
raptorroy
Advanced

Stopped last night in Odessa Tx. It was damn cold and windy, wasn't expecting that at all. Got up this morning and left just before 10, got all the way through to Louisiana. For some reason it decided to turn winter again here, and froze me all the way through. I have a good amount of thermals and I was still numb so I'm stopped for the night.

Last edited by raptorroy; 04-14-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Good thing you're holed up in sweet Lou.....pretty hefty thunderstorms about a day ahead of you. Post back how you made out.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 AM
raptorroy
Advanced

Well made it into Jacksonville Nc. Left Monroe at 530am and rode until damn near midnight to make it. Got caught up in road construction in a few places and Atlanta during rush hour. Then I got pulled over about 6 or 7 miles from my final destination. He was cool, told me to slow down and ride safe. For the return trip heated gloves of some sort are an absolute must. So I guess I'll see what I can find online.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like a "get there quick" trip. How many miles did it end up being?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
raptorroy
Advanced

About 2580 from driveway to driveway. Apparently there was some wild winter storm that just happened and I got caught in the middle of it. Looking at the weather for my return trip its supposed to be 80 during the day and 60 at night. Hoping it stays that way

Quick Reply: Cali to North carolina