Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride Recomendations: Maryland to PA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM
johnpace2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Recomendations: Maryland to PA?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to do some riding and camping this summer. I just thought I throw this out there to you guys for any ideas. We plan to leave Rockville, MD (near DC) and head north into PA. Would like to ride in the mountains, etc.

Any ideas or sources for great routes or camp spots? I was thinking we'd pickup 81 near Harrisburg and head north.

Any advice is appreciated!

John

Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

It may be a little further westward than you had in mind, but any of the northern State Forests offer some outstanding scenery, especially the Allegheny National Forest.
My dad used to own a camp up that way.
All offer whatever kind of camping you could ever want - and bring a fishin' pole...!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
johnpace2
Advanced

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnpace2
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to do some riding and camping this summer. I just thought I throw this out there to you guys for any ideas. We plan to leave Rockville, MD (near DC) and head north into PA. Would like to ride in the mountains, etc.

Any ideas or sources for great routes or camp spots? I was thinking we'd pickup 81 near Harrisburg and head north.

Any advice is appreciated!

John
I can't fathom why you'd want to ride your bike on a highway unless you need to make time- But if you're going to do that, at least ride up route 15 and make a stop in Gettysburg (Route 15 is way more scenic, but has some cross traffic while still being a 4 lane highway)- It's the best way to see the battlefields (riding around on 2 wheels). Harrisburg is only about 40 minutes past Gettysburg.

Or better yet, start off by riding up route 27 through Mt Airy, and tell your GPS to "avoid highways".

Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

or head south to skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway

Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
johnpace2
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbaywolf
I can't fathom why you'd want to ride your bike on a highway unless you need to make time- But if you're going to do that, at least ride up route 15 and make a stop in Gettysburg (Route 15 is way more scenic, but has some cross traffic while still being a 4 lane highway)- It's the best way to see the battlefields (riding around on 2 wheels). Harrisburg is only about 40 minutes past Gettysburg.

Or better yet, start off by riding up route 27 through Mt Airy, and tell your GPS to "avoid highways".
Agreed. If we need to make time, we'd go 15, 27 through Mt. Airy sounds awesome too.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM
johnpace2
Advanced

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
or head south to skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway
I love this ride too. It's great to get an early start when no one is on the road. One of my favorites. This time though, we're trying to meet up with a buddy who's coming from NYC, so that's why I was thinking PA.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Niddite
Cruiser

27 up to Westminster, then 140 towards Taneytown. Hang a right outside of Taneytown towards Gettysburg. You'll do back roads all the way. Also, Francis Scott Key Highway (194?) north is also a great route. Enjoy!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Massreddbiker
Intermediate

I've enjoyed the roads around quakertown and Allentown - I think it was the scenic byways around 476 headed toward 84.

Quick Reply: Ride Recomendations: Maryland to PA?