Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

bike week? biketoberfest? or sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
RidinWithStyle
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
None of them. Pick an area rent a bike, ride in a giant circle and explore the back roads of this wonderful country of ours with special attention to our National Parks. In non biker event venues or in the event venue when nothing is scheduled rooms are readily available, restaurants are less crowded, sightseeing is more relaxed and attractions are also less crowded.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
None of them.
I don't think "None of them" was one of choices asked about.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on Sturgis and also flying into Chicago although for the most bang for buck and time I'd fly into Denver. The riding to and from Sturgis would be much better and you can tour the Rockies when you return your rental. From the Rocky Mountain National Park down to Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs to the Million Dollar Highway....a road so incredible they should charge you to ride it!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyglen
Cheers for all your comments and ideas
I gotta admit after looking more into it the Sturgis rally would be my number one choice as it has some awesome scenery and would love to ride some but after looking at flight prices I think its going to have to be bike week at Daytona.
Flights from uk to orlando are around £500 non stop, to Daytona is around £1000 so worth the hour and a bit ride from orlando upto Daytona.
Flights to either south Dakota or Denver are around £1200 to £1500 with 1 or 2 stops so a long flight
Flying from the uk to the states the cheapest options are the popular choices like orlando, vegas or new York. A friend of mine was looking to go to san Francisco and to fly into vegas and drive down the flights were half the price!
Bikeweek will be great and may not be the best in the states but it sure beats anything we do over here and I will welcome the warmer weather than here at that time of year! lol
Also I would like to rent a bike so by the time I factor that cost and also accommodation, food, drink and spends if the flights to orlando are so much cheaper it means less and easier saving my end plus a happier wife as im coming out on my own so gotta pay for a holiday for the family later in year!
Again thanks for replys and im sure I will have loads of questions nearer the time. I will get flights booked asap then the trip is a defo and the way rthe months fly by it will soon be here
So... It sounds like you've made your mind up for either Daytona Bike Week or Biketoberfest.

I would opt for Biketoberfest and while you're here take a 2/3 day trip down to the Florida Keys. As others have stated, the weather in Daytona in October is generally perfect.

If you leave Daytona area in the morning around 7, you can make Key West easily by sunset. Spend a couple days there, then head back for Biketoberfest which officially begins on Thursday and ends Sunday. I have done this very thing a few times now and have always enjoyed it.

Daytona Bike Week is a 10-day event and has bigger crowds than Biketoberfest although in my opinion Biketoberfest is growing in popularity. Holly Hill, a city right next to Daytona has been issuing extended permits for Biketoberfest and I believe Ormond Beach will follow and then Daytona. I also believe Biketoberfest will eventually cover 2 weekends officially.

Daytona Bike Week weather in March could go either way. I have been there when temps are in 40's F and I've been there when it has hit 80's F. So bring shorts t-shirts AND hoodies, long underwear along with your leather.

Yes, the riding in Florida is straight and flat but if you are not from a southern climate beach environment, I am sure you will enjoy it especially if you consider my advice to trip to the Florida Keys where you will have the most scenic straight and flat ride of your life.

Many talk **** about Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest but I will tell you if you appreciate music, both events are an incredible music festival with it playing all around you... for free! Rock, Blues, Rockabilly, country, and every mixture of music in between can be found during the Daytona events. I've been going to these for years now and never tire of the Daytona music scene.

With all that being said, as the others have posted here, if it was up to one choice within my financial means, it would be the Sturgis Rally. If you ever do plan to make that rally from the UK, make sure you allow three weeks to ride and see it all. You wont regret taking the time.

Here are some website pages that may be helpful to you...

Daytona Bike Week... http://jdbikermap.com/biker-motorcyc...ike-week-maps/

Daytona Biketoberfest... http://jdbikermap.com/biker-motorcyc...oberfest-maps/

Florida Keys... http://jdbikermap.com/motorcycle-roa...rida-keys-map/

Sturgis Rally... http://jdbikermap.com/motorcycle-roa...rida-keys-map/

Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sturgis.......great week, lots to do and the riding is spectacular......don't forget Devil's Tower if you go to Sturgis.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers for the advice all, ive looked at costs again and flights to Orlando are defo the cheapest so pretty sure its gonna be bikeweek. If I was single then maybe could of considered sturgis but its only me coming out and only fair I still do a holiday with the missus and kids so gotta save hard. Cant belive how much the hotels jump up during bikeweek! But I like the idea of camping so that would save money and probably would ride out somewhere else in florida for a couple of days before handing rental back