Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska on a new bike?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 AM
salemdog
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska on a new bike?

Is an Alaskan road trip going to beat the crap out on my new bike (FLHX)? I don't plan to wander of the beaten path (i.e Dalton) but I hear poorly maintained roads and miles of contruction can get quite nasty.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

Look up Alaskapade.com.

Shrug took a Roadglide Custom but he mentioned having some damage to the bike. He is also a member on this forum and Roadglide.org. I would imagine he can answer anything you need to know.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
PyroMedic
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jory434
Look up Alaskapade.com.

Shrug took a Roadglide Custom but he mentioned having some damage to the bike. He is also a member on this forum and Roadglide.org. I would imagine he can answer anything you need to know.
alaskapade.com is broken. Anyone have a mirror of this from when it was up?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I checked it out, it seemed to be working OK

Old 04-24-2014, 10:50 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll be new when you start but old when you finish.....
My boss has been riding HD's, racing dirt bikes and dune buggies all his life.
He did the Alaska trip from central TX 15 years ago.
When he got back he said "That was one of the stupidest things i've ever done. The scenery was great but the ride was terrible. It killed my bike, i'm selling it to the first sucker I find.".
This man is a hard core biker. He's raced on the dirt, hill climbed in competition, drag raced dune buggies and ridden 4 wheelers 'till the tires dropped off.
I gotta believe what he tells me.......

Old 04-25-2014, 04:32 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You would be smart to buy a used BMW GS 650. Go through it frt to rear to prepare for the ride. Ship a set of tires up to Fairbanks so you can change out for the return ride. Once you get back sell the bike, advertising that it did the Alaska trip. People will pay to say the bike did the trip. My brother in law did it about 7 years ago and the first guy that came to buy the bike got a woody and couldn't wait to buy it. Cost the brother in law about $1000 and that was throwing in the GPS.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by salemdog
Is an Alaskan road trip going to beat the crap out on my new bike (FLHX)? I don't plan to wander of the beaten path (i.e Dalton) but I hear poorly maintained roads and miles of contruction can get quite nasty.
It won't be "new" when you finish. SJ Ron

Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 PM
fatnlow
Intermediate

I live In British Columbia and worked for 6 years surveying the rebuild of the Canadian section of the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek B.C. (mile 0) to the Alaska border (mile 1100ish). As of 1992 the 50th anniversary of the highway the whole highway was paved. You will run into construction as you will on any highway, some areas fuel stops are a bit of a stretch but usually not more than 200km between. Travel during the daylight hours to avoid animals and to catch the gas stations when they are open because many close in the evening. I've got a nearly new 2013 Fatboy and I'm contemplating doing this trip this summer so keep us posted or if your looking for someone to ride with drop me a note. there will be some sections of road that are worse than others but most you will find is as good as any highway anywhere...but the scenery is unbelievable!

take a good camera and take your time. be sure to stop in at Liard Hot Springs and Muncho Lake Lodge. And when you go through a place called Fireside theres a big scenic pull out on your left with a rock monument to the men and woman that died building that highway, my survey partner and I built that.

get a copy of the Milepost, this book is the best thing you can take with you
http://www.themilepost.com/

Last edited by fatnlow; 04-25-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 PM
fatnlow
Intermediate

check out this link, this guy has some great pics from last summer that show the highway in great condition....for the most part;-)

http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/dr...to-whitehorse/

Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM
easybiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by salemdog
I have made the trip many times and had no problems with my bike. As long as you stay on paved highways you will not have a problem. Yes there will be constuction so just pressure wash your bike in the evening if you had to ride through a construction zone that day. Every town and most motels/camp grounds have a pressure washer just be carefull to stay away from the wheel bearings. If you plan to ride the Dalton on a Harley DON'T! Rent a dual sport in Fairbanks if you must ride the Dalton.

Most of the people who tell you it will tear up your bike have never been there or did something stupid like ride the Dalton or some of the other roads that are not paved.

It is the ride of a lifetime so enjoy it. Just give your self plenty of time. Once you start north on the ALCAN plan on about 300 miles a day max and you will not have a problem. If you want to know about riding to Alaska go to www.thunderpress .com. There are a number of stories there about riding to Alaska and how to plan a trip. I should know since I wrote them. Be sure to buy a copy of the Mile Post. It is the bible of the north.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alaska on a new bike?