Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Devils Tower KOA cabins

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Devils Tower KOA cabins

The Wife and I are doing the pre-Sturgis this year.
Fortunately we have relatives that have a vacation home in Rapid City so we have a nice free place to stay, however we are planning a two day Black Hills ride.

The afternoon of day 1 we are looking at making it to Devil's Tower and then staying the night there.

Looking for a review of the full service cabins at the Devil's Tower KOA.

Thanks,

Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

If I had access to a vacation home in RC I don't think I'd be staying at Devil's Tower. Last year we stayed in Hill City. Toured a lot of the Hills one day ending up at Devil's Tower and still made it back to Hill City for supper. Just wondering. Devil's Tower is nice but not much else there.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firebike32
Just wondering. Devil's Tower is nice but not much else there.
Well I wasn't looking for recommendations of where to visit, just reviews of the Devil's Tower campground cabins.

But if you must know, my Wife and I lived in Rapid City for 12 years. We've been to at least 20 Sturgis Rallys and I've even woke up off Main Street Sturgis smelling of beer and urine (still trying to forget that night), seen Rushmore more times that I can recall, been to the Badlands, Deadwood, Hill City, Spearfish, Rough Lock Falls ect...

Believe it or not one place we never visited was Devil's Tower.
I don't know why not, it just never happened.

This year besides our typical night in Deadwood and of course a trip to Sturgis our primary place to ride to is Devil's Tower.

As for why I'm looking to stay there?
It's our vacation and we're looking for some peace and quite and from what I can see online the Devil's Tower campground will give us that.

As for the relatives vacation home, yes it's nice to have that available and you can bet we'll be staying there next year when we come up for the 75th Sturgis Rally.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Not sure if you have ever used a KOA cabin but if not I can help with that just not the Devils tower ones in particular. We used about four or five different states KOA cabins and they are pretty much the same. When you say full service are you asking about the park model cabin or the single room? I'll assume the park model, but neither have pillows/sheets or blankets. Both have plenty of room and heat and A/C. If theres a chance you use KOA's a lot as we do it might be worth it to buy the yearly member ship to get the discount and a free night after you have used a KOA 9 times. Also many have military discounts if it applies.

Please what ever you decide post some pics because there grounds look awesome and we my decide to visit there our self sometime. My wife is from SD so we go every other year.

This is one of the park models we stayed at in Louisiana.

And a one room in Montana

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Thanks HD_R, that's kinda the information I'm looking for and yes I'm looking at the "Park Model".
I'd prefer the one-room but the Wife doesn't want to make the walk to the bath house in the middle of the night.

If we end up staying there I'll certainly post some pics.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Thanks HD_R, that's kinda the information I'm looking for and yes I'm looking at the "Park Model".
I'd prefer the one-room but the Wife doesn't want to make the walk to the bath house in the middle of the night.

If we end up staying there I'll certainly post some pics.
Our park model had a fully stocked kitchen (plates/silverware/pots&pans), TV, bathroom with shower, microwave, refrigerator, love seat size couch.

The single has none of that, just a desk and chair, bunk bed and a single bed with thin but comfortable mattresses.

The pictures from there site look very nice, and they play the movie close encounters of the third kind every night out side. I think it would be cool to get sun down and sun set pics of the mountain, with out having to drive back in the dark to Sturgis.

Watch out for strange lights at night!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Pipedope
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great place and they play "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" every night.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Well unfortunately the park model cabins are not available the day we plan on being at Devil's Tower so it looks like a stay in Sundance or perhaps just ride on to Deadwood and spend two nights there (which is most likely).

Thanks all for the info though.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Well unfortunately the park model cabins are not available the day we plan on being at Devil's Tower so it looks like a stay in Sundance or perhaps just ride on to Deadwood and spend two nights there (which is most likely).

Thanks all for the info though.
That sucks, look like a few others had the same idea as you. I was going to suggest that you try now to book but it looks like even earlier would be necessary. We went to sturgis for a week in 09 and made reservations in Jan just to be sure we had what we wanted. Good luck with the search, its getting close and the prices are going to start to climb.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
That sucks, look like a few others had the same idea as you.
Yea we've been doing the pre-Sturgis (last two weeks of July) for the past few years.
The last 2-3 years pre-Sturgis is getting as big as as some of the smaller Rallys.
I think last year they estimated that there was 50,000+ riders in the Black Hills the last week of July just for pre-Sturgis.

I think most of the pre-Sturgis riders are like my Wife and myself, we've been there and done that Sturgis thing and just don't want to deal with all the people and craziness that makes Sturgis the greatest Rally in the World.

The last week of July you get all the great riding of the Black Hills, less traffic, most of the Sturgis vendors are setup and doing business and the prices haven't been jacked up yet. (at least as far as Black Hills summer prices go)

Anyway, our quest to stay at a cabin at Devil's Tower was just a thought and we're already staying in the a free family vacation home in the Black Hills so it's not a big deal that it's not available.

Next year though it's not going to be pre-Sturgis, if you're making the track to the Black Hills next summer it's got to be during the first week of Aug and the 75th Sturgis Rally!!

Thanks all for the replies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Devils Tower KOA cabins