Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Who's been to Madrid, New Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
dgb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's been to Madrid, New Mexico?

We are leaving Iowa in a few days for a road trip through Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Has anyone been to Madrid (from Wild Hogs movie)? We will be staying in Santa Fe one night and I thought it may be fun to ride down to Madrid and check it out. Maybe pick up a Del Fuego MC t shirt.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Madrid is a very common destination or way point for just about every rider in the Albuquerque /
Santa Fe area. I rode through it twice last weekend coming and going to another destination.

It's a oh-so-very-very-trendy yuppie / artsy-fartsy town about 1 mile long and weekends will
often see 100+ bikes parked around town, mostly at The Mineshaft restaurant / tavern which
served as the model for the biker hang-out in Wild Hogs.. The restaurant in the movie was built
as a set and is now a gift shop specializing in Wild Hogs memorabilia. Lots of art stores, coffee
houses and strange little stores run by strange people..

It's a fun place but can be VERY crowded with little parking. There are some "ecologically sound"
public outhouses near The Mineshaft otherwise you'd better plan on holding it. Hwy 14 is a fun
ride and the 10 miles south of Madrid are probably the best. If you have the time, I'd continue about
40 minutes South to the Sandia Mountain Crest road and ride it 17 miles to the top at 10,700+ feet
overlooking Albuquerque. On a good clear day, (and we have LOTS of them), you can see 100+
miles in all directions..

HTH...

Old 06-21-2014, 11:47 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
Madrid is a very common destination or way point for just about every rider in the Albuquerque /
Santa Fe area. I rode through it twice last weekend coming and going to another destination.

It's a oh-so-very-very-trendy yuppie / artsy-fartsy town about 1 mile long and weekends will
often see 100+ bikes parked around town, mostly at The Mineshaft restaurant / tavern which
served as the model for the biker hang-out in Wild Hogs.. The restaurant in the movie was built
as a set and is now a gift shop specializing in Wild Hogs memorabilia. Lots of art stores, coffee
houses and strange little stores run by strange people..

It's a fun place but can be VERY crowded with little parking. There are some "ecologically sound"
public outhouses near The Mineshaft otherwise you'd better plan on holding it. Hwy 14 is a fun
ride and the 10 miles south of Madrid are probably the best. If you have the time, I'd continue about
40 minutes South to the Sandia Mountain Crest road and ride it 17 miles to the top at 10,700+ feet
overlooking Albuquerque. On a good clear day, (and we have LOTS of them), you can see 100+
miles in all directions..

HTH...

good catch Mike!