Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to Nova Scotia in August

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike greeno
Were headed out on Aug 9 th I think I'll have to check with the old lady. But I did it in 2001 And like the others have said they supply the straps you tie it down, It was the same thing with the cat going over to newfoundland. When are you going maybe we can hook up?
We are headed out on the 15th and taking the ferry on the 16th. I don't know how long you guys will be up there. We only have a week.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deucedog
CarrollB: "ferry ride from Portsmouth is about 12 hours."

The sail from Portland/Scarborough Maine, to Yarmouth, The Cat did that in 5 1/2 hours. Unless they've renewed that schedule, 'The Cat' stopped running several years ago. I believe it was in 2009.
We stayed in Lunenberg at the 'WheelHouse Inn', Lanes Privateer Inn Liverpool, and Marriott Harbor Front in Halifax.

If that was the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth then the new ferry is most definitely and upgrade. It is supposed to be a 10 hr trip leaving Portland at 9:00 PM so we got a room to sleep in.

Here is a pic of the new ferry from their website.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,930 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Ferry from PEI to NS had straps and tie down points, you were responsible to tie it down. I would expect the same on this ferry. We were also up there for a week, we did two days on PEI staying in Charlottetown, then over to Cape Breton. We were there for four days, so we "home based" in Baddeck at the Inverary:

https://capebretonresorts.com/our-re...nverary-resort

Very nice place and gave us a good central locations for our day rides. One day was the Cabot Trail, counter clockwise. At the top there is a dirt road that leads to Meat Cove. The road is a little treacherous, but the views at the end were worth the extra ride.

We also day tripped down to Louisbourg to see the Fort, again nice little day trip with lots of interesting history. The fort has an entire town inside.

Another day we went to the Bikefest they have up their at the end of July.

Last day our friends got married, then we left on Saturday for home for some and Sturgis for us.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Oak001
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Capt. the crossing is about 10 hrs .no tax on fees ,food or gifts. you should bring your own straps ,as the one they give you to use are large ,hard to work with. T hey have a special on aug 20 to sept7 for cycles 50 a bike 50 a person .The ship is very comfortable .If your getting a berth ,should book in advance ,otherwise they recommend being there 1 1/2 hr in advance . Let us know when your coming may be able to ride along with you a spell.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Thanks everyone for the information and pics. It's all helpful. Feel free to keep the info coming.

Oak001 - We already have our berth booked but we'll be there too early to take advantage of the Wharf Rat Rally and the 50.00 rate. I have a couple pair of soft-ties to go between the bike and the straps. Hopefully this will make it easier with the big straps. I doubt I'll pack my own but I'll keep it in mind.

What are the regs. in Canada (NS) regarding headlight modulators? Do I need to keep mine turned off?

How about the fuel stations? Do they mostly take credit cards at the pumps like here in the states or do I need to plan on using cash when I fuel up? (I'm sure the bigger cities would be no problem but I don't know about the outlying areas)

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser

To be honest, I've never seen a bike with a modulator around here. I'm sure there's some, but I wouldn't give it much thought. Cops are pretty decent around here. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

Most places you can pay at the pump if you like. You might find pumps in country places that aren't set up for it. Everywhere you go, you can pay with your card or cash inside AFTER you fill up. We're pretty trusting like that..

Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,930 Likes on 2,569 Posts

They take credit cards, but most places do NOT take Discover Card, so be warned.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Newfoundlandsoftail
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im leaving Newfoundland to visit Nova Scotia and PEI on the 26th of August. The thing I look forward most to is the Cabot Trail. Hope you have a great trip.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Newfoundlandsoftail
Im leaving Newfoundland to visit Nova Scotia and PEI on the 26th of August. The thing I look forward most to is the Cabot Trail. Hope you have a great trip.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the trip. For now, I'm doing a couple of maintenance projects on the bike so we will be ready to roll.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Headlight modulators are legal in Canada, but not even many of Canada's finest know what they are. I don't run with it on all the time, but have been pulled over because of it. Just had to explain things to them,,,so far they have all been good about things.

Quick Reply: Heading to Nova Scotia in August