Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to Nova Scotia in August

Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heading to Nova Scotia in August

We decided to head north this year and see some of Canada. Not much of the trip is planned yet. We did make reservations on the Nova Star ferry from Portland, Me to Yarmouth. Ns. I should be interesting and will save a day getting to NS. I'm always open to suggestions for Must See's, places to stay and what to avoid.

Has anyone taken the new ferry yet or plan to? I'm curious about the ship and also the tie down process.

I normally run a headlight modulator. Does anyone know if this is allowed in Canada or do I need to keep it off?

Any other traffic laws I should make note of? We always wear helmets so that is not an issue.

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

No radar detectors in Canada.
Can't get in if you have had a DUI.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Cabot Trail, take it counter clockwise

White Point in Cape Breton - a little hike, but worth it.

Dress warm, don't park your bike on a boat ramp

Last edited by fishheadsaid; 06-21-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
Has anyone taken the new ferry yet or plan to? I'm curious about the ship and also the tie down process.
I took 3 ferries that summer (2007). I think this one provided a length of rope and a bolt eye on the deck. With the bike on it's jiffy stand I centered the left side of the frame over the bolt eye and used a trucker's hitch to secure it. I'm sure there's a better way, but it was still upright when we docked. I think I'd bring some ratchet straps.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

By all means try to schedule a stop at the Bay of Fundy to watch the tide change. Really cool.

We took 'The Cat' from Maine to Yarmouth when we went. It's been discontinued so I don't know if the one you're taking is the same.
There are points in the floor to tie your bike down. They provide the straps but you are responsible for actually doing it.

Make sure to take rain gear with you.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

We did cape Breton in 2012 but rode around its an awesome adventure, agree with fishhead take the Cabot trail counter clockwise the views are spectacular. We took the ferry over to Prince Edward bike were on the jiffy stand with tie downs on the front, but the water was really calm that day. Enjoy the ride and seafood, some of the best I've had so far.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:08 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I the CAT discontinued the run to Yarmouth in 2009 I think. The Nova Star ferry just started operating this spring. I never saw the CAT but I think the new ferry is a significant upgraded vessel.
I know it's only mid June still I'm hoping to find someone who takes the ferry before I do. I always prefer to learn from others first. LOL

Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
mike greeno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were headed out on Aug 9 th I think I'll have to check with the old lady. But I did it in 2001 And like the others have said they supply the straps you tie it down, It was the same thing with the cat going over to newfoundland. When are you going maybe we can hook up?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the lighthouse route in the middle 90's in a cage. There are not a lot of towns or motels and get gas when you get to half a tank. The lighthouse at Peggy's Cove is just big enough to fit a good size desk in. The tides up north are something else. When the tide comes in it creates a wave that they can surf on as it goes up the river. We got a room with our own bathroom and bed for the night as the ferry ride from Portsmouth is about 12 hours.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

CarrollB: "ferry ride from Portsmouth is about 12 hours."

The sail from Portland/Scarborough Maine, to Yarmouth, The Cat did that in 5 1/2 hours. Unless they've renewed that schedule, 'The Cat' stopped running several years ago. I believe it was in 2009.
We stayed in Lunenberg at the 'WheelHouse Inn', Lanes Privateer Inn Liverpool, and Marriott Harbor Front in Halifax.

This is on the side of lighthouse at Peggy's Cove. lol

These were taken from the stern of The Cat:

Last edited by Deucedog; 06-25-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heading to Nova Scotia in August