Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northern New Mexico to Durango CO tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,204 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
If you have time spend the night in Durango and take the train up to Silverton, and then bus back. Great views and a cool train, just book ahead of time because they sell out way before the day of.

I`ve been on that train; pretty cool. Just be prepared to get covered in soot particles from the authentic coal burning locomotive. However, the highlight occurred on the way back just north of the town of Durango, when some girls mooned the train from across the river.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
From Taos you can take the "High Road to Taos" Hwy 519 and 76 to Pojoaque. This is a great ride. From there take Hwy 4 to San Ysidro then 550 to Durango. The only boring part of this route is from San Ysidro to Bloomfield, but the rest of the route is worth it.

Do the San Juan Loop, Durango to Ridgeway to Teluride to Rico, to Delores and back to Durango. Just north of Ridgeway about a mile is the Dennis Weaver Park. It is a worthwhile stop. Food at the True Grit café in Ridgeway is good, and a midway place to eat while doing the loop.

While in Taos take a side trip west on 64 for about 15 miles and see the Rio Grande Gorge, and ride across the bridge.

Still have some time left, get in touch with me when you get in the area and we can get together and discuss some more places to see. I live in Bloomfield, NM, right in the middle of the are you are going to ride and I really enjoy meeting HD Forms members.

Bill
Did you mean 518 to 76?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

It is 518 and not 519. Fat fingers.

Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful area

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going in late August. might get toasty

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are going to be in Durango, I strongly recommend dinner at the Ore House.

Best steak I've ever had in my life.

http://www.orehouserestaurant.com/

Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice: HYDRATE! We rode all through there last summer. It was amazing. One day we neglected to drink a lot. Kicked our A$$! My method-alternate btwn Gatorade and bottled water. Drink when you're not thirsty.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I'm going down there the week before the rally - Is the 4 corners worth stopping at? I'd like to hit the Devil's Highway in AZ but sounds like it could be be blistering hot. Any suggestions on that or am I being a dope?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
I'm going down there the week before the rally - Is the 4 corners worth stopping at? I'd like to hit the Devil's Highway in AZ but sounds like it could be be blistering hot. Any suggestions on that or am I being a dope?
The 4 corners rally is not what it used to be. If you have never done it, it might be worth the stop, but it's not that big a deal.

The Devil's Highway the first of September will probably be okay until you get down around Morenci. You will have a hundred miles or so of heat, but the rest should be okay that time of year.

Suggestion: Go down from Alpine to Morenci, and then take 78 across to Mule Creek. Hit 180 and come back up on the NM side. If you prefer to ride the curves while going up instead of down, go from Reserve, NM to Mule Creek and then take 78 to 191 and then go up. I prefer up myself, but either way will be good. Going up will put you in the hot parts earlier in the day when it's cooler.

Bill

Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
The 4 corners rally is not what it used to be. If you have never done it, it might be worth the stop, but it's not that big a deal.

The Devil's Highway the first of September will probably be okay until you get down around Morenci. You will have a hundred miles or so of heat, but the rest should be okay that time of year.

Suggestion: Go down from Alpine to Morenci, and then take 78 across to Mule Creek. Hit 180 and come back up on the NM side. If you prefer to ride the curves while going up instead of down, go from Reserve, NM to Mule Creek and then take 78 to 191 and then go up. I prefer up myself, but either way will be good. Going up will put you in the hot parts earlier in the day when it's cooler.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I didn't word that very well - I'll be there around the last days of July, the week before Sturgis. I appreciate your recommendations.

Quick Reply: Northern New Mexico to Durango CO tips