Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Outerbanks ?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outerbanks ?

In a few weeks im headed to the Outerbanks, NC.

Im looking for the best route from Lexington, VA to the Wright Memorial Bridge.

Also, does anyone know the best and worst times to cross this bridge?

thx

Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 PM
krucam
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday afternoons are always going to be the worst coming onto the Wright Bridge, particularly before a Holiday weekend. That said, I've never had any major backup coming or going from OBX and that includes ugly Holiday weekends!

Where you staying? The main tourist area from Kitty Hawk south to Nags Head can have traffic. Thats where the majority of the vacation rentals are.

North to Curituck is nice and home to those with lots of money. South of Nags Head on 12 towards Hatteras is unspoiled Oceanic beauty.

I love the area. Married my wife on the beach there....enjoy.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 PM
dad311
Tourer

We will be staying in Corolla, we will be crossing the bridge Saturday around 1-2 pm ish. Im concerned with setting in heavy traffic on a hot July day.

How about hw 12 north to Corolla, lots of traffic???

Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 PM
krucam
Intermediate

North of Kitty Hawk to Corolla is tree lined 2-lane road (vs 4-lane on the main drag south to Nags Head). I wouldn't worry about it in all honesty. I doubt seriously you'll be in "parking lot" conditions either on the bridge coming over OR once you're on the barrier island and heading North.

The only traffic you MIGHT have is just after you cross the Wright Bridge on 158 as you cover the last mile or so before getting on Hwy 12. Once on 12, you'll be moving again.

Enjoy it. Is is a true jewel if you're a beach lover. Save the trip south to Hatteras for another weekend!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:53 AM
sctman1
Advanced

Saturday and Sunday mornings the traffic is heading away from the Outer Banks as the weekly rentals end at 10AM both days. The incoming traffic jams up on Saturday & Sunday afternoons due to the incoming weekly rentals that start in the afternoons (typically 2PM to 4PM depending on the cottage/hotel). So the answer is either time yourself to hit the bridge in the morning or late afternoon as there is a high likely hood of sitting in traffic not only getting to and across the bridge but also traveling north on 12 to get to Corolla. Its a beautiful area, I live nearby & have been going to the Outer Banks for 45 years so trust me, a mid afternoon arrival on Saturday or Sunday in the summer can be brutal traffic wise. Also, be careful since the majority of folks are tourists who are paying more attention to the sights and where to turn for their cottage than bikers on the road like us.

An alternate route is to come south on I95, get off on NC64 heading east to Manteo and the Outer Banks. Puts you on the southern Outer Banks and you can run the beach road (12) north along the ocean. Very little traffic coming this way and all the OBX tourist traffic will be on the bypass once in OBX.

If you're coming down I64 get on 17 heading toward Elizabeth City, stay on that thru Edenton and you can pick up NC64 past Edenton on the other side of the Chowan River. You will have no traffic issues with these approaches to OBX as it the southern / backdoor route.

PM me if you have any additional questions. Enjoy the Outer Banks!

Originally Posted by dad311
We will be staying in Corolla, we will be crossing the bridge Saturday around 1-2 pm ish. Im concerned with setting in heavy traffic on a hot July day.

How about hw 12 north to Corolla, lots of traffic???

Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Another option is when you take 64 to Richmond ride around to 460 and take that south,, avoids all the crazy traffic and nice quiet road. That will get you down to Suffolk then got on the crazy roads to the Outer Banks.. When arriving at that time of day traffic will just be starting the shift change from folks leaving and folks arriving.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Crossing during a huricane woud not be the best time to go, I would imagine.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
dad311
Tourer

Last night before the Wright Memorial Bridge, traffic was backed up bumper - bumper for 25 miles. Traffic was backed up 5 -7 miles BEFORE the bridge and did not clear up until we stopped in Duck for dinner. That was 3 hours of clutch work, basically walking the bike down the highway, in the dark, cold and rain.

LOL, I was worrying it might be to hot!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 PM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a nice coffee joint in Avon, if you're a junkie too. It's a little building, called Ugly Mugs. Great coffee, some baked goods. Until just a couple years ago, I used to go down to Avon a couple times a year to surf fish. I really liked the area.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you haven't made the trip yet, let me throw another route out there. travel south to US 220 and then south on US 220 to near Stokesdale and then east on US 158. Travel 158 east across the state. I've been that way in a car and it was a nice relaxing drive. There are some really nice parts nearer to the east.