Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Not Riding but need ideas around Fayetteville, NC

Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not Riding but need ideas around Fayetteville, NC

Wifey and I are riders from NE Washington St. with our youngest son stationed at Ft. Bragg currently. He will complete a fairly tough leg of his specialized training the end of this month. We will travel back to stay near him for 10 days or so the first of August. We are looking for fun things to do for day trips as well as a possible 3 day weekend. Once he is in recovery he will have an 0900 formation then good to go for the day within a certain distance radius but will need to be back for the same formation the next day.

Any ideas or suggestions for day things around Fayetteville/FT Bragg and also if we got 3 days off. Wifey is looking at Lake Norman right now. We enjoy most things that are not Opera. We have a decent budget and will rent a car during the stay. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. EW

Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son lives there. Don't think there is alot to do in Fayetteville. Might check out Wilmington NC. Or Myrtle Beach SC for a couple days. Lotts of things to do in Myrtle. I think Myrtle Beach is about a 2 hour drive from Fayetteville. There is an Air Born museum in Fayetteville but can't think a too much else there to visit.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 PM
EricW
Cruiser

Thanks FLHT, Ill take a look. Museum sounds good. Did the infantry one at FT. Benning and it was awesome. Appreciate your time. EW

Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

There is a lot to do around here. If you are into history Wilmington is a 2 hour drive down 40, the USS North Carolina is docked there with daily hours to roam about. Up in Kinston is the CSA Ram Neuse, one of the original Ironsides battleships from the Civil War. There is a lot of Civil and Revolution War history around here several battlefields you can visit.
In Raleigh there are several museums that are good. Raleigh itself has a lot of history.
Check out the beaches of NC, they are some damn fine ones at that.
Don't be surprised if you hear Fayetteville referred to as Fayettenom around here. The city has actually been trying to clean up.
There are a bunch of good BBQ places around so try some of that while you are here. Lots of good food.
Oh yea, sounds like you will be here in July/ August, be prepared as this is the land of the "Air you can Wear" this time of year!!
Do some Google searches and have some fun out here.
Congratulations to your son too!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 PM
EricW
Cruiser

Thanks a lot Crash. Son had told us about the Fayettnam thing. Lol. I will check out your leads and see what will work. I am seriously scared of the heat/humidity there. I keep telling myself that of he can survive SF training I can survive the celebratory visit. Lol. Thanks again. EW

Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you can get there in a car

Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Peirce1970
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Myrtle Beach and I think Willmington, N.C. is a neat town to visit. There are lots of things to do in Myrtle but it is very busy right now because we are right in the middle of vacation season.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Keep and drink lots of water and Gatorade type fluids, where a cool hat to keep the sun off your head, you'll be all right. AC is nice but getting acclimated to the heat helps.
A few years ago we were out in Arizona and the locals were complaining about the high humidity, I think it was like 23% or so, high for that area, we just smiled. Man that weather felt good.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how much driving you are looking to do, but the Smokies are well within reach for a 3 day weekend.

If you're a golfer, Pinehurst area is near by to Ft Bragg.

Not sure of their schedules or your interests, but Rockingham speedway and drag strip are also nearby.

Last edited by JD HD; 07-11-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:09 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

The Airborne special operation museum is down town and very nice, also on post there is the small 82nd Airborne museum and an SF museum. If your son is going through SF training he will most likely want to stay local as there is a little tolerance for being late for formation the next day, and traffic getting on post in the morning may take time due to having to get through the gate. Also a few roads are closed early due to Physical fitness training were units are running. Most close from 0630-0730, and he'll want to be back before formation at least 10-20 minutes early if not sooner.

In Fayetteville there are plenty of great places to eat, go to Mac's if you want a good biker style BBQ grill. Down town Hay street has some good dining if you want to walk around a little just stay away from the bus station. Also try to avoid Murchison Drive if at all possible.

Cape fear Harley in town has bike rentals if the mood hits you as well.

If you get a weekend Myrtle and Wilmington beach are close but busy in the summer and hot.

We stay in the A/C most of the time unless in the pool.

Ft Bragg is a big place so if you have any hotel ideas post them up and we might be able to give you a time estimate that it will take you to get to were you son is. Most hotels list "close to Ft Bragg" but depending on what part of post you need to be at it could take up to an extra 1/2 hour to get there across post.
FYI, Don't speed on post!

Fayetteville and the surrounding area have 4-5 movie theaters if not more, the mall is fairly big although we rarely go. Smith lake has camping and swimming, White lake is about an hour away and has the same. Sorry we've never been to lake Norman.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not Riding but need ideas around Fayetteville, NC